Dallas D is now comparable to the 85 Chicago Bears

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
:laugh: 85 Bears.....Cowboys aren't close to the 85 Bears, nor the 86 Giants, nor the 2000 Ravens.

The Bears were 1st in everything. Allowed 10 pts or less in 10 regular season games. 3 playoff games allowed 10 pts and just over 400 yards, total. We're a few weeks removed from allowing 29 points to a Bears team that lacks the forward pass in their offense.

JayFord

Reaction score
:laugh: 85 Bears.....Cowboys aren't close to the 85 Bears, nor the 86 Giants, nor the 2000 Ravens.

The Bears were 1st in everything. Allowed 10 pts or less in 10 regular season games. 3 playoff games allowed 10 pts and just over 400 yards, total. We're a few weeks removed from allowing 29 points to a Bears team that lacks the forward pass in their offense.

whenever the bears throw it downfield I be amazed

like they actually threw it forward

ArtClink

Reaction score
Dallas defense just kicked the doors off of a very good Viking's team. I have not seen a defense this great on all levels ever. Even better than the:
85 Bears
86 Giants
76 Steelers
Ray Lewis Ravens

The Cowboys pass rush is deadly and I don't think they have peaked yet. Every defensive player deserves a game ball Kearse, Parsons, Armstrong, Gallimore, Fowler, D-Law, Williams, LVE, Clark, Brown, Diggs. Every offensive linemen deserves a game ball as well. The O-line was opening up 5 yard lanes. Talk about depth...this is the deepest team in football. This O-line is shaping up as well. The O-line is getting to the 2nd level and just mauling. Smith, McGovern, Biadasz, Martin and Steele are like uncaged animals. Dak had all day against a good defense. Pollard has proven to be just as explosive as Tyrek. Parsons is DPOY.

I am ready for Thanksgiving Day. The march to the Superbowl is great, enjoy the Kool-Aid. What Y-all think?

Go Dallas!!!
I saw the 85 Bears and it’s not even close. One important distinction is also the 85 Bears won:

1. A divisional playoff game
2. The nfc championship game
3. A Super Bowl

Watching a few 85 Bears defensive video clips does not give you anything but 5% of the picture and neither do stats since the two eras are so different.

The 85 Bears beat us 44-0 in Texas Stadium and it was a first class a** whoopin’.

Lol, yeah this defense has played well this year, but don’t pretend that Janet Reno is near as good looking as Marilyn Monroe.

I have been watching the NFL since the early 70’s and I’ve never seen a defense anywhere close to the 85 Bears. Doomsday 1 & 2 are light years ahead of any defense the past quarter of a century around here but judging by your ridiculous comparison, you’ve likely never heard of Doomsday 1&2. Check out the Landry years for some great Cowboys history.

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

One of those games was a 44-0 (as in a shut out) shellacking of the Cowboys.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Let me give you an idea.

The Cowboys lead the league with 16.7 points per game. SF is second at 17.3. TB is third at 18.0.
In 1985, the Bears led the league with 12.4 ppg. SF was second at 16.4. The Jets were third at 16.4.

The Bears were head and shoulders above everybody else. The Cowboys are in the mix with the top teams.

JayFord

Reaction score
im just glad we have a great defense this year yes they have flaws but hey think of all those years the defense made our white undies brown on both sides

ArtClink

Reaction score
Lol

Sorry man but that is just comical.

The best defenses in the SB era:

‘75 Steelers
‘85 Bears
‘00 Ravens

This Cowboys version is still quite aways from the ‘90’s Cowboys SB defenses. And that is because of a still porous run D. But nice try and I like your enthusiasm.

you left our the Super Bowl VI championship defense in your list. The AFC champion only managed a field goal the whole game.

black label

Reaction score
campcle-90s.gif

Flamma

Reaction score
The thing is...Dalvin Cook still averaged a shade over 6.5 yds/carry. What happened is that the Dallas offense started so white-hot that they made Minnesota one-dimensional before halftime. I think Cook only had three carries in the second half iirc. The game against the Titans will show what has been learned about slowing up a potent ground game...because the Titans WILL run and run heavy. The Giants on turkey day will try and do the same thing. Now if the Cowboys come out on offense like they did vs. the Vikings then it simply won't matter. They will simply beat the brakes off your behind. And this is really what you want in the playoffs. Teams like the Vikings, Eagles and 49ers don't really have "shoot-out" type quarterbacks. Get up on them early by a few possessions and THEN it becomes the type of game your defense wants to play....downhill and at the quarterback.

I couldn't agree more. A smart team comes at us run heavy and sticks with it. A good example was Chicago. They were running it on 2nd and 10 and 2nd and 20. Their D is just terrible.

Knowing what we know now, if I'm the Giants head coach, I come into this matchup with a completely different game plan. I don't see a blowout here. Just as long as the Giants don't panic.

Another thing that worries me about the game against the Giants. Especially after they got whooped by the Lions. Is how motivated they'll be. That means a lot in this game. Nothing motivates or causes a team to play at a high intensity level more than the fear of being embarrassed.

Cowboys1966

Reaction score
Dallas defense just kicked the doors off of a very good Viking's team. I have not seen a defense this great on all levels ever. Even better than the:
85 Bears
86 Giants
76 Steelers
Ray Lewis Ravens

The Cowboys pass rush is deadly and I don't think they have peaked yet. Every defensive player deserves a game ball Kearse, Parsons, Armstrong, Gallimore, Fowler, D-Law, Williams, LVE, Clark, Brown, Diggs. Every offensive linemen deserves a game ball as well. The O-line was opening up 5 yard lanes. Talk about depth...this is the deepest team in football. This O-line is shaping up as well. The O-line is getting to the 2nd level and just mauling. Smith, McGovern, Biadasz, Martin and Steele are like uncaged animals. Dak had all day against a good defense. Pollard has proven to be just as explosive as Tyrek. Parsons is DPOY.

I am ready for Thanksgiving Day. The march to the Superbowl is great, enjoy the Kool-Aid. What Y-all think?

Go Dallas!!!
Lol.

Flamma

Reaction score
I saw the 85 Bears and it’s not even close. One important distinction is also the 85 Bears won:

1. A divisional playoff game
2. The nfc championship game
3. A Super Bowl

Watching a few 85 Bears defensive video clips does not give you anything but 5% of the picture and neither do stats since the two eras are so different.

The 85 Bears beat us 44-0 in Texas Stadium and it was a first class a** whoopin’.

Lol, yeah this defense has played well this year, but don’t pretend that Janet Reno is near as good looking as Marilyn Monroe.

I have been watching the NFL since the early 70’s and I’ve never seen a defense anywhere close to the 85 Bears. Doomsday 1 & 2 are light years ahead of any defense the past quarter of a century around here but judging by your ridiculous comparison, you’ve likely never heard of Doomsday 1&2. Check out the Landry years for some great Cowboys history.

Agree 100%. I'm guessing there are people that aren't old enough to have watched those teams of the past.

I have to say something about one thing you brought up. You'll find it comical. I think Dallas was down 7-0 after the first quarter against the '85 Bears. That was a result of a batted pass by the goal line and caught by the bears D for a TD, but up until that point, I really thought the Cowboys were out playing the Bears. Then continued to do so. Renfro then fumbled a nice long pass completion from Danny White. Without that fumble Dallas is looking good. At the time I really still thought we would win. Looking back it was silly. I was young. Then White got hurt and it was all downhill from there.

erod

Reaction score
85 Bears
86 Giants
76 Steelers
Ray Lewis Ravens

Go Dallas!!!
Wow.

No.

Not even close.

Flamma

Reaction score
You must be smoking some good weed to make that statement.

You know what it is? Any good pass rush is not often seen in this league anymore. At least not consistently. Today QBs have an average of 2.7 seconds to throw the ball. Or they throw it on average of 2.7 seconds, I forget which. Back in 1975 do you think the Vikings gave anyone an average of 2.7 seconds to throw the ball? Let alone the '85 Bears. In that division game against the Vikings, Staubach had an average of get the ball out at the end of his drop. Otherwise he's eating grass. In today's game people are used to seeing QBs drop back and going through progressions.

GINeric

Reaction score
85 Bears
86 Giants
76 Steelers
Ray Lewis Ravens

Go Dallas!!!

Uhhhh no..... those defenses were able to stop the run. The Ravens defense was the only defense who was comparable to the 85 bears.

The Ravens could score 10 points and would win 95% of the time.

Please do not ever disrespect the Ravens and Bears defenses comparing our defense to theirs.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I love the Cowboys, and I really like this defense (for the most part), but the 85 Bears.......lol.........that ain't it. :laugh:

ArtClink

Reaction score
Agree 100%. I'm guessing there are people that aren't old enough to have watched those teams of the past.

I have to say something about one thing you brought up. You'll find it comical. I think Dallas was down 7-0 after the first quarter against the '85 Bears. That was a result of a batted pass by the goal line and caught by the bears D for a TD, but up until that point, I really thought the Cowboys were out playing the Bears. Then continued to do so. Renfro then fumbled a nice long pass completion from Danny White. Without that fumble Dallas is looking good. At the time I really still thought we would win. Looking back it was silly. I was young. Then White got hurt and it was all downhill from there.
Agreed most are too young to have experienced the 85 Bears.

what I remember about the 44-0 bears pokes gm in 85 was Dorsett had about a 30 yard run in first quarter and we all got excited. But then reality happened. I also remember SI’s next cover was Wilber Marshall throwing Danny White to the ground w 44-0 caption.

ArtClink

Reaction score
Uhhhh no..... those defenses were able to stop the run. The Ravens defense was the only defense who was comparable to the 85 bears.

The Ravens could score 10 points and would win 95% of the time.

Please do not ever disrespect the Ravens and Bears defenses comparing our defense to theirs.
Agreed on the Ravens comparison to the 85 Bears.