Dallas FA signings need fixing

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
True.

Lewis made Carrol expendable.

Carroll made Carroll expendable. There was no "plan" where this team gives a player $4 million for one freakin' game. None.

I don't care if Jourdan Lewis is Deion Sanders, that's still no reason to cut what would then be a backup player to lose $4 million and depth at the same time. Zero reason.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They talking to Dallas and Dallas actually wanting them back... two separate things.

And certainly Claiborne's deal wasn't huge... They could have resigned him... But didn't. Why not?

They didn't want him.

But yet "wanted" Brandon Carr. No matter how you slice it, the decion making was still bad.

XDez88BeastX

Reaction score
I realize that Stephen Jones likes to build thru the draft (which team doesn't) but that's not being totally realistic. With Moore cut - all three of Dallas FA signings are no longer on team. That won't cut-it in this era. The Giants leaned heavily on FA signing in '16 and Eagles made big upgrades with their '17 FA signings. If Dallas wants to stay competitive they need to make big improvements in their talent evaluations of FA and not be so gun shy from past failures.
In all fairness, 2 of the 3 were more or less cut because players we gave drafted or invested in have shown up. Carroll cut after Lewis & Woods play well, & Moore cut after greay play by Both Lawrence & Irving.... Paea retired due to his knee, cant do much about that one.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's over with Stash.

Time to turn the page.

You can turn your page. I'll keep mine open.

It's amazing that there's never a time to criticize anything the team does.

When it happens, it's "too early".

After that fact, it's "too late".

Pretty convenient way of letting them off the hook when the appropriate time never comes.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
They weren't signing any big name free agents like Campbell...

They're out of that business.
Here’s the thing why bring in guys like Carrol , Moore , and Paea instead of a guy like Hyde or just retain Church? 3 bottom feeders =1 good player (financially). Now we’re left with like 6 million in dead money for guys that didn’t even last a half of a season.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You can turn your page. I'll keep mine open.

It's amazing that there's never a time to criticize anything the team does.

When it happens, it's "too early".

After that fact, it's "too late".

Pretty convenient way of letting them off the hook when the appropriate time never comes.

I criticized them on the Carrol signing.

Thought it was bad.

I just do not have to keep posting about it every day.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
Hyde signed for 5 years and $32 mil.

Cowboys were not signing any safety for that amount.
Again that is not a lot of money! This isn’t 2002 anymore. Hyde> Moore , Paea, Caroll

Quality over quantity. This team bottom feeds in FA because they’re scared and frankly the Pro Scouting Department can’t properly evaluate.

Aven8

Reaction score
I still think Carr was a great signing for this team. 50 million was just the going rate at the time. It was him or Finnigen that year. We made the right choice. He never missed a game and was great in the community.

The restructuring is what gets this team in trouble and trying to "sign our own" before they prove anything yet. People bag on Jerry, but the real culprit is SJ folks.....

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Hyde signed for 5 years and $32 mil.

Cowboys were not signing any safety for that amount.
$4M first year cap number and leading the league in interceptions.

Nolan Carroll counts $2M this year, another $2M next, and played in 2 games without recording a single statistic.

You get what you pay for.

We could have easily signed Hyde and we'd be a much better team for it.