Dallas has made five trades to acquire veteran players

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Yeah, San Fran has been given 5 3rd round comp picks for the diversity rewards program...FIVE free 3rd round picks (I think in 2 years). Everyone praising the niners for being "aggressive" at the trade deadline...where would they be at without those gifts I wonder.
The 2024 third-round draft pick sent to Washington was a compensatory selection for losing Ran Carthon to the Tennessee Titans (who became their general manager) and DeMeco Ryans to the Houston Texans (who became their head coach).

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
While I agree they have made moves, the purpose of the trade deadline is to shore up an area of weakness either via injury, or unpredicted deficiencies.

While their moves are admirable, I would suggest most of the fans here believe Henry or Johnson might have been a quantum improvement.
Sure they would.
But Dallas wasn't resigning Johnson as his market value is 17.5 M per season and the Baers wanted a 2nd + a something.

Henry would have cost Dallas at least an R3 (they have no R4/R5 or R6) and he is a rental who is a FA after the year.

Dallas is paper thin at LB/RB/OL/TE. CB is a luxury position at this point.
Neither of those guys moved for a reason.

4 players of note moved.
A Safety, 2 Edge and a DT.
3 of those guys are in the division making deals unlikely and Dallas is pretty happy at safety.

Dallas has already invested 3 future draft picks on this roster and fans act as if they set around doing nothing to improve it much the same way fans cry the first week of free agency when Dallas does nothing.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Sure they would.
But Dallas wasn't resigning Johnson as his market value is 17.5 M per season and the Baers wanted a 2nd + a something.

Henry would have cost Dallas at least an R3 (they have no R4/R5 or R6) and he is a rental who is a FA after the year.

Dallas is paper thin at LB/RB/OL/TE. CB is a luxury position at this point.
Neither of those guys moved for a reason.

4 players of note moved.
A Safety, 2 Edge and a DT.
3 of those guys are in the division making deals unlikely and Dallas is pretty happy at safety.

Dallas has already invested 3 future draft picks on this roster and fans act as if they set around doing nothing to improve it much the same way fans cry the first week of free agency when Dallas does nothing.
I don't believe I mentioned money at all.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I don't believe I mentioned money at all.
Omitting something doesn't mean it isn't a factor.
No team was trading what the Bears wanted without extending or a plan to resign Johnson because no team is that stupid.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
They do have a good overall roster.

It’s a matter of what their QB can do when it matters.

Sound familiar? Lol. Sigh….
They would be Super Bowl favorites with Dak. Glad for Geno though. Great comeback story. I bet he has haters as well.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Not exactly sitting on your hands like some think.

The Cowboys did not make a move before today’s NFL trade deadline. Most notable moves made by NFC playoff contenders: Eagles added S Kevin Byard, Seahawks added DL Leonard Williams, 49ers added DE Chase Young.

In a little over a year, Dallas has made five trades to acquire veteran players. They are the only five players on the Cowboys’ current roster that have been acquired via trade:

DT Johnathan Hankins
CB Stephon Gilmore
WR Brandin Cooks
QB Trey Lance
CB Noah Igbinoghene

Good, now go and win the SB this year , so that Jerry may finally relinquish his grip and retire

Reaction score
The issue isn’t that we don’t make trades, it’s that the trade deadline is becoming an increasingly important tool to improve your roster mid season — and we just don’t seem particularly interested in participating.
And there you have it, when the season starts you think(hope) you've covered all your bases but not everything pans out like you had hoped. There is an opportunity though to fix those things in real time, not wait until the off-season and hope you guess right then. I understand that they used up some draft capital already and they're concerned about cap room with some big signings coming up, but this is that extra step teams like Philly and San Fran have made to get over the top while Jerry and the other old dogs stay on the porch. Those teams seem to be doing quite well, with OL/DL and skill players as good or better than what Dallas has, no significant cap hell or diminished quality because of lack of draft picks.

Last edited:

Kevinicus

Reaction score
The Eagles have had far more draft capital than the Cowboys thanks to trading Wendz in an almost Hershel Walker type transaction.

We've got to admit, that was a shrewd arrangement. They quickly evaluated his performance and market value, drafted a QB with a premium pick as a Plan B, made their decision and pulled the trigger.

Jimmy Johnson did the same with his draft capital. He traded for many veterans like Tony Cassiles, Charles Haley, etc. Not every trade worked out but they had so many picks they could afford to gamble.
The Eagles got two picks for Wentz.

It did not resemble the Walker trade in any way.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
These are not the kinds of all- in moves teams like the Niners and Eagles make. None of them have been impact players who upgraded positions. Hankins has been ok. The rest of have been underwhelming. But nothing like acquiring a Christian McCaffrey like the Niners did last year or signing an all-pro safety like the Eagles just did. Those are “we are committed to winning now” moves. Haven’t see that urgency in the Dallas front office which is baffling.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
These are not the kinds of all- in moves teams like the Niners and Eagles make. None of them have been impact players who upgraded positions. Hankins has been ok. The rest of have been underwhelming. But nothing like acquiring a Christian McCaffrey like the Niners did last year or signing an all-pro safety like the Eagles just did. Those are “we are committed to winning now” moves. Haven’t see that urgency in the Dallas front office which is baffling.
Agreed.