Dallas has made five trades to acquire veteran players

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Not exactly sitting on your hands like some think.

The Cowboys did not make a move before today’s NFL trade deadline. Most notable moves made by NFC playoff contenders: Eagles added S Kevin Byard, Seahawks added DL Leonard Williams, 49ers added DE Chase Young.

In a little over a year, Dallas has made five trades to acquire veteran players. They are the only five players on the Cowboys’ current roster that have been acquired via trade:

DT Johnathan Hankins
CB Stephon Gilmore
WR Brandin Cooks
QB Trey Lance
CB Noah Igbinoghene

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Preseason trades are an attempt to improve on what you saw the year before. In-season trades are to improve upon what you’re currently seeing. The Cowboys are always a step behind because they never make moves for the now. They always make moves based on the year before. It’s always a long game. Which means you’re never awful. But you’re never elite. It’s also the easiest way possible to manage a team.

lopey

Reaction score
Huh? What agenda? I asked you a question...do you think the 49ers who had a good run game prior to McCaffery wouldn't have beat the Cowboys last year to make it to the NFC Championship?
Just look at his numbers. Yes he was s huge reason they made it yo championship game. You know it you’re just being a cowboy homer trying to justify cowboys doing squat today. That’s your agenda

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Just look at his numbers. Yes he was s huge reason they made it yo championship game. You know it you’re just being a cowboy homer trying to justify cowboys doing squat today. That’s your agenda
Now i'm a homer. So are you not capable of having a sports discussion without namecalling? Because if that's your thing that's cool. Just let me know now if talking sports with me is too much for you.....not in the mood to do the back and forth stuff just here talking sports either you with hit or not.

starman22

Reaction score
I ask because I think you can make an argument for not trading.
You can absolutely make an argument for not trading.
  • Jerry already has the media coverage by a couple players linked to the Cowboys even though we know it won't happen.
  • It might not work. Some trades don't work out. Usually the better the player, the more it works out. We like low risk, low reward - Some of us fans are looking for an impact player.
  • He will have to use another draft pick. Do we still have our 2nd rounder? Use it.
  • Jerry is going to get worked. You got me there. If we had a real GM, we might have a chance, we have Jerry.
You talk about mortgaging the future like it's a bad thing. Teams are overcoming this kind of movement nowadays. Look at the top teams in the NFC. The Niners and Eagles are making noise with trades.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You can absolutely make an argument for not trading.
  • Jerry already has the media coverage by a couple players linked to the Cowboys even though we know it won't happen.
  • It might not work. Some trades don't work out. Usually the better the player, the more it works out. We like low risk, low reward - Some of us fans are looking for an impact player.
  • He will have to use another draft pick. Do we still have our 2nd rounder? Use it.
  • Jerry is going to get worked. You got me there. If we had a real GM, we might have a chance, we have Jerry.
You talk about mortgaging the future like it's a bad thing. Teams are overcoming this kind of movement nowadays. Look at the top teams in the NFC. The Niners and Eagles are making noise with trades.
They are making "noise" but what exactly are these moves doing? Its shoring up a weakness. Y'all remember last year when y'all panicked the picking up Suh and whoever the other DT was?

Cowboys have built a very solid team. The Cowboys personnel wise don't have many weaknesses. They are set at safety. Set on defensive line. Linebacker is the one position we could've looked at but they just brought up Evans and Bell is playing his *** off and LVE is coming back.

I think fans wanted a trade for the sake of trade but when you take a step back what exactly did we need here and was it available? Of the guys traded? Chase Young was a DE....didn't need him. Byard was a safety...didn't need him. Montez Sweat....safety.....now Leonard Williams was a DT.....you can ask yourself if you needed and maybe there's a argument he would've helped but he ain't better than Osa. Not this season anyway.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

The Cowboys did not make a move before today’s NFL trade deadline. Most notable moves made by NFC playoff contenders: Eagles added S Kevin Byard, Seahawks added DL Leonard Williams, 49ers added DE Chase Young.

In a little over a year, Dallas has made five trades to acquire veteran players. They are the only five players on the Cowboys’ current roster that have been acquired via trade:

DT Johnathan Hankins
CB Stephon Gilmore
WR Brandin Cooks
QB Trey Lance
CB Noah Igbinoghene

Ok stephen.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
They are making "noise" but what exactly are these moves doing? Its shoring up a weakness. Y'all remember last year when y'all panicked the picking up Suh and whoever the other DT was?

Cowboys have built a very solid team. The Cowboys personnel wise don't have many weaknesses. They are set at safety. Set on defensive line. Linebacker is the one position we could've looked at but they just brought up Evans and Bell is playing his *** off and LVE is coming back.

I think fans wanted a trade for the sake of trade but when you take a step back what exactly did we need here and was it available? Of the guys traded? Chase Young was a DE....didn't need him. Byard was a safety...didn't need him. Montez Sweat....safety.....now Leonard Williams was a DT.....you can ask yourself if you needed and maybe there's a argument he would've helped but he ain't better than Osa. Not this season anyway.
oline is a need as well as a power back

Chasing6

Reaction score

DT Johnathan Hankins
CB Stephon Gilmore
WR Brandin Cooks
QB Trey Lance
CB Noah Igbinoghene

If Dak is resigned the trade for Trey Lance was a mistake.

Pola_pe_a

Reaction score
They got better on paper yes. Making acquisitions this late in the season rarely has a impact.
McAffery to SF
Jay Ajayi to Phl
Marshawn Lynch to Sea
Jalen Ramsey to LAR
Eric Dickerson to Indy

All these moves made the teams better. Just like the moves this year will help those teams.

Jarntt

Reaction score
“The Cowboys did not make a move before today’s NFL trade deadline.”

this is the only pertinent part of this ridiculous spin as we sit here today. Every team made off-season moves. I mean you are going back to last season even with one of them. Lance was certainly not a move for this year and may never play a snap here. The CB was just a swap of early round disappointments. Cooks and Gilmore were GREAT moves IMO. But what the hell does that have to do with yesterdays decision to do nothing? If anything it’s worse because both of those players were “go for it” type moves and when the last chance arose to take it to the next level and make those two moves even more meaningful the team fell even further behind the top two teams in the conference And the chances for a SB his year went down

Creeper

Reaction score
This is a poor argument or excuse. It ignore the off-season moves other teams made, like free agent acquisitions.

The point is, we lost to the 49ers and yet we sat and did nothing while they acquired Randy Gregory and Chase Young. We are 1 game behind the Eagles and we did nothing while they acquired Byard. The Seahawks got Leonard Williams from the Giants. These teams made moves to improve themselves now, to win now. The Cowboys settled for good enough.

If you are standing still, you are falling behind.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Like any trade. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don’t. But work or not work there’s a cost in picks and money so you can’t make but so many
CMC and Aj Brown.

Those trades seemed to work.

Tell me again. What game did they end up playing in? I cant recall what its called since the Cowboys havent been to one in 28 years