Dallas is horrible at drafting Dlineman

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You are not wrong, but I also wonder how much of that was impacted by the defensive schemes used by their defensive coordinators.

That's not pushing the blame off of the front office by any means, but I am sure the defensive coordinators have had a huge influence on the defensive players taken as well as having preferred priorities like "smaller and faster" that further limited success when other players were injured or left.

gtb1943

Reaction score
The last defensive lineman that made at least one probowl was Demacus Lawrence and he was drafted in 2014, in 10 years we have not drafted one legit starter. Unbelievable, looking back at our draft classes, im not sure where the "we draft well" comes from
Well if you want to expand that just how well have we done drafting QBs since AIkman? Dak is the only one we hit on. Though in Jethro's defense we have not drafted many,
But I agree we have not drafted really good DL since BP was here. Almost Anthony was about the same level as Lawrence.
BP drafted Ratliff and some others; even if Spears was not all that great he was still decent.

And Jethro has never drafted a DT worth a rats ***.

gtb1943

Reaction score
You are not wrong, but I also wonder how much of that was impacted by the defensive schemes used by their defensive coordinators.

That's not pushing the blame off of the front office by any means, but I am sure the defensive coordinators have had a huge influence on the defensive players taken as well as having preferred priorities like "smaller and faster" that further limited success when other players were injured or left.
BUT in the end who approved the coaches who hired them? The Front Office. So in the end the buck stops with them.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Kneeland was mocked as a 1st rounder in about 30% of the mocks I looked at this year. He’s raw but getting him at 56 was amazing value. He’s expected to be a solid starter.
I was not enthusiastic about him but I agree that he looks like a good pick

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BUT in the end who approved the coaches who hired them? The Front Office. So in the end the buck stops with them.
I said I wasn't pushing the blame off of the front office.

My point was that if the defensive scheme/coordinators need or are requesting certain types, sizes, etc. of player, it would futher limit who the team could draft, which means BPA for those positions based on the requirements may have pushed the Cowboys to draft a lower ranked player simply because he was the BPA that fit the requirements.

I agree, the front office makes the final decision, but if you have a defensive system that focuses on speed, you are not drafting a slow and heavy lineman even if he's ranked higher than the faster BPA.

The front office, ultimately the Jones family, approved the coordinator hire so it's still on them.

Aven8

Reaction score
What has he really done to say that?
He’s always around the QB. The problem is the rest of the line gets no push. I’m eager to see what Zimm does differently. I’m tired of so many stunts

jwitten82

Reaction score
He’s always around the QB. The problem is the rest of the line gets no push. I’m eager to see what Zimm does differently. I’m tired of so many stunts
Its funny, when Marinelli and Nolan were here. Fans said our defense was too basic and predictable. When Quinn was hired, he made it more unpredictable and Zimmer will likely bring it back to a basic defense lol

RonWashington

Reaction score
Dorrance Armstrong found later in draft was serviceable . Randy Gregory had his moments of doubt and fame pleased to meet you hope you guessed my name ….:facepalm:

gtb1943

Reaction score
I said I wasn't pushing the blame off of the front office.

My point was that if the defensive scheme/coordinators need or are requesting certain types, sizes, etc. of player, it would futher limit who the team could draft, which means BPA for those positions based on the requirements may have pushed the Cowboys to draft a lower ranked player simply because he was the BPA that fit the requirements.

I agree, the front office makes the final decision, but if you have a defensive system that focuses on speed, you are not drafting a slow and heavy lineman even if he's ranked higher than the faster BPA.

The front office, ultimately the Jones family, approved the coordinator hire so it's still on them.
The system will always rule of course; but I have always believed that one should have the capability of adapting the system to your talent