Dallas is horrible at drafting Dlineman

RonWashington

Reaction score
I hope this edge they took high in the draft can partner up with Sam Williams because the clock is ticking on DLaw

fivetwos

Reaction score
The edge guys are nothing to complain about. The interior has been a major problem. Not as if they haven’t tried, they have simply failed.

High picks, mid picks, late picks, cheap FA….

Hill, Bohanna, Gallimore, Ridgeway, Osa, Golston, Urban, Watkins, Smith….

You can’t fail at that rate and still have success. Period.

The only thing they haven’t done is spend money on a more proven player, but hold your breath on cheap Stephen doing that on a player that doesn’t offer jersey sale return.

quickccc

Reaction score
The last defensive lineman that made at least one probowl was Demacus Lawrence and he was drafted in 2014, in 10 years we have not drafted one legit starter. Unbelievable, looking back at our draft classes, im not sure where the "we draft well" comes from
I don't see Osa as being " horrible" .. but considering the DL guys that were picked fairly high ..especially 1 to 3rd rounds , it does not look too productive at all.

.Taco Charleton...Randy Gregory..... Trysten Hill,... Neville Gallimore,....Chauncey Golston, ....and the jury is still out on Sam Williams

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/dal/draft.htm

quickccc

Reaction score
You are not wrong, but I also wonder how much of that was impacted by the defensive schemes used by their defensive coordinators.

That's not pushing the blame off of the front office by any means, but I am sure the defensive coordinators have had a huge influence on the defensive players taken as well as having preferred priorities like "smaller and faster" that further limited success when other players were injured or left.

Ala Rod Marinelli's influential pitch for Taco Charleston over TJ Watt .

..which i will never understand since we drafted a much smaller 237 pound Randy Gregory for his 4-3 scheme ...but yet a 252 pound Watt being a misfit.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
The Front Office is hung up on perceived high motors (aka try-hard guys) and "position flex." They end up drafting a bunch of guys who can't win their individual match-up's on a consistent basis.

Kneeland is fine, I do not love the pick and I don't see him developing into an impact starter, which is what a 2nd round pick should be able to project to.

Drafting Kneeland is the equivalent of being down 11 with 2 minutes to go, and opting to kick a field goal. Sure, I get it, but you are now asking for everything else to have to work out perfect. This team has too many holes in the starting line-up to draft a 4th or 5th DE who doesn't get to the Quarterback.

This is Our Year

Ohama, Kill, 52 is the Mike
Reaction score
Its funny, when Marinelli and Nolan were here. Fans said our defense was too basic and predictable. When Quinn was hired, he made it more unpredictable and Zimmer will likely bring it back to a basic defense lol
Haha it’s what makes the coaching circle go round and around.

It’s no different then when you have a players coach and then you go to the disciplinarian for the next HC hire haha.

blueblood70

Reaction score
The last defensive lineman that made at least one probowl was Demacus Lawrence and he was drafted in 2014, in 10 years we have not drafted one legit starter. Unbelievable, looking back at our draft classes, im not sure where the "we draft well" comes from
they draft well with most positions and throughout most of the draft but yes they've been a little suspect for sure on defensive line but we're allowed to say we draft well because overall on how they look at the rest of the league the Dallas Cowboys are one of the top tracking teams in the league that's a fact... But we will agree they don't have a whole lot of great actual defensive lineman but if you're picking DeMarcus Lawrence how is he a defensive lineman and you're not saying DeMarcus Ware other pass rushers.. Isn't Michael Parsons considered a defensive end given the fact that they're just paying him $21 million or is that from being an off the ball linebacker technically he's a pass rushing defensive end... And I don't think OSA is a bad pick he's a pretty solid player he may not be a pro bowler yet but he's progressing, I mean what pic was dorrance Armstrong that dude just got paid, we may not have liked the Randy Gregory picked but he was a talented player, got huge deal from denver, who just couldn't get it together maturity wise off the field and Sam Williams to me probably has all the potential to be Michael Parsons if he also would get his **** together off the field and get out of the doghouse I think it's a new start for him Sam Williams is can be a great player....

If you talk about the interior defensive line, yes that's an issue been an issue we don't know why I was hoping to boundary sweat from Texas was there and I believe they would have picked him in the second round over that pass rusher if he were there... And I don't wanna keep saying this but technically Mazis not a bust yet..tbd

RS12

Reaction score
You are not wrong, but I also wonder how much of that was impacted by the defensive schemes used by their defensive coordinators.

That's not pushing the blame off of the front office by any means, but I am sure the defensive coordinators have had a huge influence on the defensive players taken as well as having preferred priorities like "smaller and faster" that further limited success when other players were injured or left.
Agree. Position coaches and DCs allowed too much input. This team is still paying for the Taco over Watt decision.

fivetwos

Reaction score
The Front Office is hung up on perceived high motors (aka try-hard guys) and "position flex." They end up drafting a bunch of guys who can't win their individual match-up's on a consistent basis.

Kneeland is fine, I do not love the pick and I don't see him developing into an impact starter, which is what a 2nd round pick should be able to project to.

Drafting Kneeland is the equivalent of being down 11 with 2 minutes to go, and opting to kick a field goal. Sure, I get it, but you are now asking for everything else to have to work out perfect. This team has too many holes in the starting line-up to draft a 4th or 5th DE who doesn't get to the Quarterback.
Hey what was your take on the LB pick? If you posted I missed it. Thx….

blueblood70

Reaction score
Ala Rod Marinelli's influential pitch for Taco Charleston over TJ Watt .

..which i will never understand since we drafted a much smaller 237 pound Randy Gregory for his 4-3 scheme ...but yet a 252 pound Watt being a misfit.
As much as that was a major mistake and we all know it is especially in hindsight but I we knew it in draft day but how many other teams passed on Watt as well, they let the guys slide that happens in the draft it happens to all teams....

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Just to note that drafting is like hitting a baseball. Even the best fail quite frequently. When you look across the league and see how many players stick around and look at it objectively, Dallas is pretty good. Its not just them retaining their guys either. Pollard, Biadasz, the Conner's, Armstrong, etc. have gotten paid by other teams.

But yeah, the batting average for D linemen might be just about the worst for the team. Dallas has a lot of high draft picks not work out.