Dallas is horrible at drafting Dlineman

quickccc

Reaction score
As much as that was a major mistake and we all know it is especially in hindsight but I we knew it in draft day but how many other teams passed on Watt as well, they let the guys slide that happens in the draft it happens to all teams....
That's their problem, and their draft .. .we have to handle and take care of our own draft board ...

how many teams passed on Micah Parson and CeeDee Lamb..Diggs ...

jwitten82

Reaction score
they draft well with most positions and throughout most of the draft but yes they've been a little suspect for sure on defensive line but we're allowed to say we draft well because overall on how they look at the rest of the league the Dallas Cowboys are one of the top tracking teams in the league that's a fact... But we will agree they don't have a whole lot of great actual defensive lineman but if you're picking DeMarcus Lawrence how is he a defensive lineman and you're not saying DeMarcus Ware other pass rushers.. Isn't Michael Parsons considered a defensive end given the fact that they're just paying him $21 million or is that from being an off the ball linebacker technically he's a pass rushing defensive end... And I don't think OSA is a bad pick he's a pretty solid player he may not be a pro bowler yet but he's progressing, I mean what pic was dorrance Armstrong that dude just got paid, we may not have liked the Randy Gregory picked but he was a talented player, got huge deal from denver, who just couldn't get it together maturity wise off the field and Sam Williams to me probably has all the potential to be Michael Parsons if he also would get his **** together off the field and get out of the doghouse I think it's a new start for him Sam Williams is can be a great player....

If you talk about the interior defensive line, yes that's an issue been an issue we don't know why I was hoping to boundary sweat from Texas was there and I believe they would have picked him in the second round over that pass rusher if he were there... And I don't wanna keep saying this but technically Mazis not a bust yet..tbd
We dont draft well most positions after the 1st round, cornerback is the one position we had success on after the first. What positions would you say we draft well?

CampJR

Reaction score
Rofl we’ve done well with dline.. you don’t draft pro bowl players every year. Yes the one that hurts was the taco pick over TJ. But we’ve had good production

jwitten82

Reaction score
Just to note that drafting is like hitting a baseball. Even the best fail quite frequently. When you look across the league and see how many players stick around and look at it objectively, Dallas is pretty good. Its not just them retaining their guys either. Pollard, Biadasz, the Conner's, Armstrong, etc. have gotten paid by other teams.

But yeah, the batting average for D linemen might be just about the worst for the team. Dallas has a lot of high draft picks not work out.
I think thats a poor way of evaluating that we draft good. So we draft the best JAGS

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The last defensive lineman that made at least one probowl was Demacus Lawrence and he was drafted in 2014, in 10 years we have not drafted one legit starter. Unbelievable, looking back at our draft classes, im not sure where the "we draft well" comes from
Take off the blinders and look at all positions....that's where it comes from....anyone can nitpick

fivetwos

Reaction score
they draft well with most positions and throughout most of the draft but yes they've been a little suspect for sure on defensive line but we're allowed to say we draft well because overall on how they look at the rest of the league the Dallas Cowboys are one of the top tracking teams in the league that's a fact... But we will agree they don't have a whole lot of great actual defensive lineman but if you're picking DeMarcus Lawrence how is he a defensive lineman and you're not saying DeMarcus Ware other pass rushers.. Isn't Michael Parsons considered a defensive end given the fact that they're just paying him $21 million or is that from being an off the ball linebacker technically he's a pass rushing defensive end... And I don't think OSA is a bad pick he's a pretty solid player he may not be a pro bowler yet but he's progressing, I mean what pic was dorrance Armstrong that dude just got paid, we may not have liked the Randy Gregory picked but he was a talented player, got huge deal from denver, who just couldn't get it together maturity wise off the field and Sam Williams to me probably has all the potential to be Michael Parsons if he also would get his **** together off the field and get out of the doghouse I think it's a new start for him Sam Williams is can be a great player....

If you talk about the interior defensive line, yes that's an issue been an issue we don't know why I was hoping to boundary sweat from Texas was there and I believe they would have picked him in the second round over that pass rusher if he were there... And I don't wanna keep saying this but technically Mazis not a bust yet..tbd
The outside guys have been way more good than bad. Draft picks as well as signees.

It’s the interior that’s been a problem and still is. Can’t accuse them of not valuing it or caring…they have certainly tried, but failed.

See my post above. The only thing they haven’t tried at that spot is opening the wallet for more proven players.

They have been soft in the middle going back to the Garrett years, and I defy even a staunch defender of these guys as you to convince anyone what the plan could possibly be for this team to not be bulldozed by every decent team they play this year. Day three picks? What’s left of free agents?

I don’t see a big problem with taking a season to get the cap in order and/or get the OL rebuilt, but it may be time to admit that.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Its funny, when Marinelli and Nolan were here. Fans said our defense was too basic and predictable. When Quinn was hired, he made it more unpredictable and Zimmer will likely bring it back to a basic defense lol
Basic can be good....Quinn went rougue and tried to pad his stats....laid an egg against GB and Dak took the heat while he bolted.

Sully

Reaction score
The last defensive lineman that made at least one probowl was Demacus Lawrence and he was drafted in 2014, in 10 years we have not drafted one legit starter. Unbelievable, looking back at our draft classes, im not sure where the "we draft well" comes from
And a HUGE reason why this franchise don't have success in the playoffs for 29 years

blueblood70

Reaction score
We dont draft well most positions after the 1st round, cornerback is the one position we had success on after the first. What positions would you say we draft well?
I'm not getting into this all day with you some of you just won't let things go you're -24-7 that's the thing you're not allowed to cherry pick the first round or position so you pull out a good position and you pull out the first round to make your narrative fit and it doesn't there are good players all throughout many drafts from the Dallas Cowboys and I'm not gonna sit here and spend all that time on it..

HOwever, not picking a bunch of busts and swinging and missing in the first round is part of being a good drafting team, they very rarely have a bad pick in the first round...

With the second round you guys can cry about it all the time most of that list people post are full of really good players not just Trayvon diggs DeMarcus Lawrence was a second round pick and as much as people didn't like Randy Gregory he actually got a big contract he had talent he just couldn't get it right off the field... Awuzie had a solid career right.. You might not have liked Connor Williams but he was a solid player just wasn't worth signing a big contract but the man went over to Miami and got a starting job at center those are all second round picks some are still playing there are more than that like I said I'm not gonna see her all day and try to remember every name but they are very good drafting team overall including the first round you have to take into account everyone... Like I mentioned they don't have to all be pro bowlers I think OSA is good, bland and Dorrance Armstrong just got paid, I mean Washington thought he was good enough to go bring him in I know these some of these are role players but they're good... And right now we have a couple players it's still to be determined but I like Sam Williams, Bell , Thomas, , oh and Do.wilson, pretty good.Steele and Biadsz lower picks DeMarco Murray was a third round pick... Again I can do this all day if I really wanted to rack my brains and do some searching I say that you're just looking for something to gripe about and it's ridiculous there are lots of really good players that are being picked by the Cowboys that's why they have a reputation for being one of the better drafting teams and yes that includes all rounds you cannot remove the first round...

but I could throw one name out there starting quarterbacks Prescott fourth round pick right now probably the best quarterback in that draft and then they had Tony Romo undrafted... And please don't try to lowball me on that and say it's an accident because that would be all guys who get hit on late I mean not like Tom Brady and Brock Purdy were blueprints like guarantees when they were picked nobody had any idea they were gonna turn into anything so they have front office will get credit at getting Prescott and Romo on this team regardless of how you feel how they got them...

manster4ever

Reaction score
DTackles especially......just.........PUKE

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Hey what was your take on the LB pick? If you posted I missed it. Thx….
Felt it was 2 rounds too early.

He hustles and he's much better in coverage than he is against the run. I think this FO, primarily the two part-time Personnel guy slash billionaires, get enamored with shiny things, and the scouts know better than to tell them they might be wrong. Liufau is always hyped up after every play celebrating and fist pumping, and he's running all over the field. I think he guesses a lot in run defense. If he guesses right, it looks great, if he guesses wrong, there's an exposed gap. Someone on Twitter made the comp, but he very much reminds me of the NFL (not college) version of Jaylon Smith, where he is just jumping and flying around, and teams are mistaking that "energy" as being disruptive.

I don't think he is better than Overshown or even Clark. If they are imagining him as an eventual Kendricks replacement at Mike, this team will continue to get manhandled in the run game.

gtb1943

Reaction score
As much as that was a major mistake and we all know it is especially in hindsight but I we knew it in draft day but how many other teams passed on Watt as well, they let the guys slide that happens in the draft it happens to all teams....
so because other teams are dumb that excuses us? You front office defenders never admit anything, do you?

fivetwos

Reaction score
Felt it was 2 rounds too early.

He hustles and he's much better in coverage than he is against the run. I think this FO, primarily the two part-time Personnel guy slash billionaires, get enamored with shiny things, and the scouts know better than to tell them they might be wrong. Liufau is always hyped up after every play celebrating and fist pumping, and he's running all over the field. I think he guesses a lot in run defense. If he guesses right, it looks great, if he guesses wrong, there's an exposed gap. Someone on Twitter made the comp, but he very much reminds me of the NFL (not college) version of Jaylon Smith, where he is just jumping and flying around, and teams are mistaking that "energy" as being disruptive.

I don't think he is better than Overshown or even Clark. If they are imagining him as an eventual Kendricks replacement at Mike, this team will continue to get manhandled in the run game.
Appreciate the response.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
It’s funny. We suck at drafting. We aren’t major players in free agency. Yet, somehow, they’ve won 12 games three years in a row. If all that was true, you wouldn’t have a .500 team. So how is that possible? Magic of prayer? lol….