READ THIS Dallas Morning News (DMN) has demanded we no longer allow their content posted on CZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

waldoputty

Reaction score
I guarantee it's not the writers behind this. Belo is a huge company and this was made at least mid-management level and possibly corporate. The writers undoubtedly know the benefit they get from the links here and elsewhere.

Agreed.
Writers dont make decisions on sending nasty-grams to third parties.
The lowest level it could be would be probably the editor who showed up on the board crying about the writers' jobs.
If he drove the process, it probably required at least management approval further up.
Googled a bit on how Belo bought up the Herald years ago.
And then shut it totally down the next day I believe.
Corporate America for you.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
Agreed.
Writers dont make decisions on sending nasty-grams to third parties.
The lowest level it could be would be probably the editor who showed up on the board crying about the writers' jobs.
If he drove the process, it probably required at least management approval further up.
Googled a bit on how Belo bought up the Herald years ago.
And then shut it totally down the next day I believe.
Corporate America for you.
The approval to go to the lawyers would have been at the corporate level but the local management would have pushed for it. But even that was likely at a higher level than the editor who posted here. Although I don't have direct knowledge in this case, I'm just making an educated guess.

waldoputty

Reaction score
The approval to go to the lawyers would have been at the corporate level but the local management would have pushed for it. But even that was likely at a higher level than the editor who posted here. Although I don't have direct knowledge in this case, I'm just making an educated guess.

i dont think any of us knows DMN's corporate structure etc.
i think we should agree that DMN, not DMN's lawyer, approved the letter.
lets not explain this way with 'blame the nasty lawyer' trick.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
i dont think any of us knows DMN's corporate structure etc.
i think we should agree that DMN, not DMN's lawyer, approved the letter.
lets not explain this way with 'blame the nasty lawyer' trick.
I'm not blaming the lawyer, I just know how many asinine decisions in this industry come from fledgling management and not the people responsible for actually generating content - editors included.

I wonder if CZ is the only content aggregator/fan site hit with one of these C&Ds.

waldoputty

Reaction score
I'm not blaming the lawyer, I just know how many asinine decisions in this industry come from fledgling management and not the people responsible for actually generating content - editors included.

I wonder if CZ is the only content aggregator/fan site hit with one of these C&Ds.

Others were trying to explain away the behavior by blaming the lawyer.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Wow DMN showing they're a bunch of crybabies. IMO the way it's handled here does more good than harm. The full article isn't posted, only a snippet of it along with a link directing us to their site!

Wow that's short sighted! They don't realize you are providing them free advertising to non local fans who may not even think to go look at DMN.

I have to say I am totally shocked by this. How many members is this site up to now?

tyke1doe

Reaction score
DMN benefits from CZ linking to their articles.
I think most of us provide links and help drive readers to the original source, which is just civil respectful behavior.
ldigit just indicated about 15% of their views are from referrals.

I dont understand your exact circumstances.
It is a small industry.
You dont just try to crush someone when things could be worked out amicably.

In this case, it is just not zero-sum.
With a little work and imagination (not that much even), it could be mutually beneficial.

DMN's so called hard working writers are apparently not so hard-working or not so bright.
Instead of desperately trying to hold onto your piece of the pie, grow the pie.

Just look at what BTB does with its writers interacting with the readers.
It works well and generates lot of good-will and loyalty.
It does not have to be like this.
You can't feed your family on good will and loyalty.
Look, I don't like the move either, but I understand it.

waldoputty

Reaction score
You can't feed your family on good will and loyalty.
Look, I don't like the move either, but I understand it.

you cannot feed your family if you are stupid either.
no one here is saying they dont have the right to control their IP.
i actually really dont care for their content so i dont even care from that point of view.

but to come to our board and pretend nothing happened and say it is ok for market for them (title and link).
that is treating us like fools which is plain insulting.
i just think the whole thing is classless, rude and uncivilized.

Last edited:

lukin2006

Reaction score
All the old industries do it to themselves, the music industry, cable/satellite, and newspapers...then they cry when that their business is going under.

lukin2006

Reaction score
Want to turn the tables on them--

When you open your browser find the private window (that's what it is on my Mac).

Once you are on private browsing, you can go there and it can't block you - read all you want for free.

yup...I do that all the time.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
We received a legal Cease & Desist order from the law firm of Dallas Morning News (DMN) today requesting we no longer allow DMN content on the site.

It's unfortunate given that we usually send DMN's web site several hundred users in traffic each day, but it is their choice and their content so we will abide with their legal order.

On the bright side, there are a lot of other great Cowboys news sources available which will help all of us keep up with the latest Cowboys news.

/reality
Who?

v9rxIer.png

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
All the old industries do it to themselves, the music industry, cable/satellite, and newspapers...then they cry when that their business is going under.
Do what to themselves? Not want to give away their content free? How is giving away free content a business model?

diefree666

Reaction score
Do what to themselves? Not want to give away their content free? How is giving away free content a business model?

No, being extremely stupid about trying to fix it. This C & D order is eerily similar to the tactics THEY tried (especially the music industry) and made the problem worse.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
No, being extremely stupid about trying to fix it. This C & D order is eerily similar to the tactics THEY tried (especially the music industry) and made the problem worse.
I'm not defending the order. You'll see me throughout this thread point out how stupid (and probably not based in law) that the order is.

I was responding to the specific comment about how the music industry, satellite/cable and newspapers are all killing themselves.

diefree666

Reaction score
I'm not defending the order. You'll see me throughout this thread point out how stupid (and probably not based in law) that the order is.

I was responding to the specific comment about how the music industry, satellite/cable and newspapers are all killing themselves.

well they are by being stupid so the parallel is quite clear.

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
Just to recap.

I don't think that anyone here has a problem with DMN protecting their content. It is there livelihood. It was the way it was handled. It was the typical big business crushes on the little guy tactic that we all despise.

A good example would be if you where having a party and one of your visitors inadvertently parked in your neighbors spot. Instead of that neighbor coming over and politely letting you know so you could inform your guest, they call the police and have the car towed. That's exactly what this feels like.

They could have easily sent Reality an email asking him to reinforce their content policies.

Status
Not open for further replies.