READ THIS Dallas Morning News (DMN) has demanded we no longer allow their content posted on CZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
We received a legal Cease & Desist order from the law firm of Dallas Morning News (DMN) today requesting we no longer allow DMN content on the site.

It's unfortunate given that we usually send DMN's web site several hundred users in traffic each day, but it is their choice and their content so we will abide with their legal order.

On the bright side, there are a lot of other great Cowboys news sources available which will help all of us keep up with the latest Cowboys news.

/reality

Wonder why their product continues to die.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
So when caught with nothing intelligent to say you double down on lame comments?
You're the one who took a comment I made, twisted it and acted like it fit your response when it had nothing to do with it. Then you decide to make a blanket statement about something you have little knowledge of. So, attack me all you want. It doesn't make you look any better.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Just to recap.

I don't think that anyone here has a problem with DMN protecting their content. It is there livelihood. It was the way it was handled. It was the typical big business crushes on the little guy tactic that we all despise.

A good example would be if you where having a party and one of your visitors inadvertently parked in your neighbors spot. Instead of that neighbor coming over and politely letting you know so you could inform your guest, they call the police and have the car towed. That's exactly what this feels like.

They could have easily sent Reality an email asking him to reinforce their content policies.

This summarizes where most of us stands.

Let's stop arguing over IP rights or business strategies.
It does not matter - they are dead to us.

Let's focus on how to boycott Dallas Morning News:
1. end all subscriptions
2. do not post any links for their articles in any forum
3. bash their poor writing in other forums that one may be in.
4. do not click on their links. I used to click their links knowing it is probably click-bait because it does not matter. No more.
5. did I miss anything?

Sage3030

Reaction score
This summarizes where most of us stands.

Let's stop arguing over IP rights or business strategies.
It does not matter - they are dead to us.

Let's focus on how to boycott Dallas Morning News:
1. end all subscriptions
2. do not post any links for their articles in any forum
3. bash their poor writing in other forums that one may be in.
4. do not click on their links. I used to click their links knowing it is probably click-bait because it does not matter. No more.
5. did I miss anything?

6. Profit

lukin2006

Reaction score
Do what to themselves? Not want to give away their content free? How is giving away free content a business model?

Charging people to read articles is an outdated business model is what I'm saying, google gives away their content...and do very well. As others have pointed out there are plenty of other free sources for Cowboys news.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
No, being extremely stupid about trying to fix it. This C & D order is eerily similar to the tactics THEY tried (especially the music industry) and made the problem worse.
Exxxxxactly...

Sometimes people fail to understand that healthy dailogue resolves issues. Stuff like this only serves to alienate and exacerbate the real issue.....

Big dummies....

A simple ask that posters from the site only post links to the content and not the actual content so as to drive more people to their site vs copy/pasting their content would have been brilliant.

CZ had already cracked down on stuff like that anyway way back when when they asked that only summaries be pasted and not full articles.

Major fail by the DMN.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Exxxxxactly...

Sometimes people fail to understand that healthy dailogue resolves issues. Stuff like this only serves to alienate and exacerbate the real issue.....

Big dummies....

A simple ask that posters from the site only post links to the content and not the actual content so as to drive more people to their site vs copy/pasting their content would have been brilliant.

CZ had already cracked down on stuff like that anyway way back when when they asked that only summaries be pasted and not full articles.

Major fail by the DMN.

Actually here is a possible reason for DMN to try to act the way they act.

Their articles are so bad that if readers get a preview of it, they would realize it is not even worth the click.

Click-bait does not work as well if there is a preview of the garbage.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
Charging people to read articles is an outdated business model is what I'm saying, google gives away their content...and do very well. As others have pointed out there are plenty of other free sources for Cowboys news.
Comparing any other business to Google is a mistake. You can count on one hand the number of businesses in the world with the resources to duplicate their model. Often you get what you pay for in regards to free news sources.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
Note that Quantcast tracks unique visits, and that they have to estimate when they don't have pixels placed, which they probably don't in this case.

DMN traffic, if you're looking at the impact, you should probably look just at their sports traffic, or at their football traffic. That'd be a different story. Overall, though ~15% of their traffic does come from referrers/links. It's not the end of the world to lose forum referrers, but it's still a lot of traffic, and it's about as highly-targeted as you can get for the content they've got. Cutting it off and then trying to spend money to replace it doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Nobody's paying for their subscription content, anyway. This will all be moot in a few years.
Not to mention that this site was most likely not the only site to receive one of these C&Ds. I would expect other sites that have received these letters to have a similar reaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.