READ THIS Dallas Morning News (DMN) has demanded we no longer allow their content posted on CZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

markopolo100

Reaction score
We received a legal Cease & Desist order from the law firm of Dallas Morning News (DMN) today requesting we no longer allow DMN content on the site.

It's unfortunate given that we usually send DMN's web site several hundred users in traffic each day, but it is their choice and their content so we will abide with their legal order.

On the bright side, there are a lot of other great Cowboys news sources available which will help all of us keep up with the latest Cowboys news.

/reality

Howdy, Cowboyzone folks,

Everyone on this site is welcome to link to any content on our site and use the headline. We're just asking you not to post full stories.

Why have we asked people to stop posting full text stories? Because we are now a subscription-based site (after you read a certain number of free articles per month). We have many hard-working journalists and photographers, and we pay for 4-6 of them to go to each Cowboys road game. That's more than any other media entity. To pay for that coverage, we need to protect our content from being posted for free on other Internet sites.

We hope you understand. If you have any questions, you can always reach me at mfrancescutti@***BANNED-URL***

Mark Francescutti
Sports vertical editor
Dallas Morning News

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
Howdy, Cowboyzone folks,

Everyone on this site is welcome to link to any content on our site and use the headline. We're just asking you not to post full stories.

Why have we asked people to stop posting full text stories? Because we are now a subscription-based site (after you read a certain number of free articles per month). We have many hard-working journalists and photographers, and we pay for 4-6 of them to go to each Cowboys road game. That's more than any other media entity. To pay for that coverage, we need to protect our content from being posted for free on other Internet sites.

We hope you understand. If you have any questions, you can always reach me at mfrancescutti@**************

Mark Francescutti
Sports vertical editor
Dallas Morning News

Now wouldnt this have been smarter to do upfront than a dumb scare-tactic letter?

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Howdy, Cowboyzone folks,

We hope you understand. If you have any questions, you can always reach me at mfrancescutti@**************

Mark Francescutti
Sports vertical editor
Dallas Morning News
Unfortunately, that is not the demands that were given by your law firm in their Cease & Desist order. Given the specificity of the order, the only way we would consider allowing DMN content on CZ is if your law firm rescinds the Cease & Desist order in writing.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
A link is not content in any shape or form is it?

I don't see how a link is content. How can you own the address of an article?

Apparently, in order to maintain 'lock-step' with the current media agenda, the views of a single poster? expressing their thoughts/opinion could have easily triggered such a knee jerk reaction ,from what I could safely assume to be a progressive liberal media outlet? In other words " they took the ball and ran home crying".

SCRATCH THE ABOVE!
it's all about the $

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Unfortunately, that is not the demands that were given by your law firm in their Cease & Desist order. Given the specificity of the order, the only way we would consider allowing DMN content on CZ is if your law firm rescinds the Cease & Desist order in writing.

I doubt it is an order as they would have had to give you notice of an application. It is likely a demand letter and is of no force and effect.

I can write demand letters all I want but I cannot enforce them without an order.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I doubt it is an order as they would have had to give you notice of an application. It is likely a demand letter and is of no force and effect.

I can write demand letters all I want but I cannot enforce them without an order.
I am quite familiar with what is and is not a legal order. A C&D is a letter from a legal representative stating that you either comply with their request or they will proceed with legal action. DMN's law firm demanded we remove ALL of their content from the site and that's exactly what we are doing.

dogberry

Reaction score
I am tres ignorant, but is linking to or posting a tweet not covered by a cease and desist order?

However, if I had received the letter I wouldn't even want someone to paraphrase a story in the DMN.

The problem,that may happen, is that someone will strip all identifiers from a story and post it. The owner of the story will search, find it, and sue.

_sturt_

Reaction score
I have DMN's Cowboys RSS feed on my NetVibes dashboard, and while I don't intend to remove that necessarily, I've got a number of other feeds as well, and will always defer to a FWST or other outlet for any news they write about.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Howdy, Cowboyzone folks,

Mark Francescutti
Sports vertical editor
Dallas Morning News

Gee, i guess 'it never happened'.
Now you just need to terminate the genius who thought you should bully people around including the lame-brain law firm which is obviously 3rd tier.
The person(s) who need to be terminated just made a lot people here angry, and people who previously always gave credit where credit was due...

AzorAhai

Reaction score
Just to be clear, does posting an employee of the DMNs tweets go against the policy? For instance Jon Machota posts pictures and little blurbs of news on his account all the time with no references or links to the DMN. Are these allowed to be posted or is anything from any of their employees off limits?

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Howdy, Cowboyzone folks,

Mark Francescutti
Sports vertical editor
Dallas Morning News
Go away. You made your bed, now lay in it.

waldoputty

Reaction score
lets just urge all Cowboy fans to boycott DMN. Make them hurt.
Get 'im, Reality!!
I am quite familiar with what is and is not a legal order. A C&D is a letter from a legal representative stating that you either comply with their request or they will proceed with legal action. DMN's law firm demanded we remove ALL of their content from the site and that's exactly what we are doing.
Howdy, Cowboyzone folks,

Mark Francescutti
Sports vertical editor
Dallas Morning News

Let see the sequence of events:
1. Big company #1 : Some people are posting our articles on that little message board - what do we do about it.
2. Big company person #2 : Have the lawyer shut them down with a scary letter
3. Incompetent lawyer: Stop it or we will sue you.
4. Message board reaction - screw the stupid big company who only has bad articles. Stop sending readers to their stupid articles that are simple click-bait that are not worth reading.
5. Big company: Old crap. Damage-control time - just play the victim and those stupid sport fans will forget about it.

So the annoying big company think we are just dumb sports fan who cannot see through the pathetic damage control being done. AND they want us to just copy the title of their articles and post the link to send them business after they slap us in the face. Yes we are dumb sports fans who are stupid little drones who will first get threatened and now insulted because we are just the drones they think we are.

Wow.

May be the dumb big company will hire real writers who are fervent cowboys fans instead of piling the trash they do. I have not seen a good article from them on Jaylon, Tapper, Rico, salary cap, defense strategies, or actually anything. I don't even know why I ever look at any of their article. I guess I am a dumb sports fan who will click on click-bait knowing it is click-bait :lmao:
Many BTB and Zoners write far better articles with 100X more depth.
WE SHOULD ALL STOP POSTING ANY LINKS TO DMN ARTICLES

That is why they have financial trouble.
May be they should:
1. fire incompetent lawyers who should have simply told them to talk to Reality in a civilized way instead of trying to STEP ON the message board.
2. hire better writers
3. cut the waste!

goshan

Reaction score
Please don't ban me. But I want to communicate my interpretation of what I am reading in this thread..

The DMN is cracking down on third party sites posting content beyond headlines/links. They are ok posting headlines/links, but don't want snippets of stories in the forums, especially since they are now subscription based. They can't make enough money on advertising and home subscriptions continue to decline...

Reality doesn't want to be held responsible for 'policing' and risk a future law suit, so as a result of the cease and desist, he is asking people to not post any DMN content including headlines/links. The DMN is not requesting this as they are fine with Cowboyzone including Headlines and Links, but Reality is concerned about the risk of policing people who may post more than that.

I understand why DMN is protecting their business, which BTW is under extreme pressure to make money. Yeah maybe a 'big company', but they are hardly in an enviable position. I understand Reality not wanting to take a risk and step up to policing.

So, lets be balanced, understand the situation, not throw DMN under the bus. Their request isn't completely unreasonable. A cease and desist is also a long way from a law suit...

Aven8

Reaction score
lets just urge all Cowboy fans to boycott DMN. Make them hurt.

Isn't that what will happen now anyway? If it's not on here, or nfl.com I'm not reading it. @Reality and staff gave them another avenue to their site and now they blew it over greed. I haven't seen full linked articles for a long time on here.

I personally go to them, espn.com, and Star-Telegram because it's on here.

Looks like we will be hearing about 6 more reporter's losing their jobs soon and that's unfortunate......

waldoputty

Reaction score
Please don't ban me. But I want to communicate my interpretation of what I am reading in this thread..

The DMN is cracking down on third party sites posting content beyond headlines/links. They are ok posting headlines/links, but don't want snippets of stories in the forums, especially since they are now subscription based. They can't make enough money on advertising and home subscriptions continue to decline...

Reality doesn't want to be held responsible for 'policing' and risk a future law suit, so as a result of the cease and desist, he is asking people to not post any DMN content including headlines/links. The DMN is not requesting this as they are fine with Cowboyzone including Headlines and Links, but Reality is concerned about the risk of policing people who may post more than that.

I understand why DMN is protecting their business, which BTW is under extreme pressure to make money. Yeah maybe a 'big company', but they are hardly in an enviable position. I understand Reality not wanting to take a risk and step up to policing.

So, lets be balanced, understand the situation, not throw DMN under the bus. Their request isn't completely unreasonable. A cease and desist is also a long way from a law suit...

Any civilized business person in such a situation would have made a civilized call/email to Reality.
Instead, they went straight to confrontation.
The reason is that they are big and the message board is small.
So they want to step on us like the insects that we are.
Then after everyone got pissed off, they realized their idiotic threat achieved the opposite effect.
That it is going to cause them business - which they deserve to lose.
To add insult to injury, they now are playing the victim and pretend it never happened and think we will forget what they did in the first place.
I dont think so.

goshan

Reaction score
Any civilized business person in such a situation would have made a civilized call/email to Reality.
Instead, they went straight to confrontation.
The reason is that they are big and the message board is small.
So they want to step on us like the insects that we are.
Then after everyone got pissed off, they realized their idiotic threat achieved the opposite effect.
That it is going to cause them business - which they deserve to lose.
To add insult to injury, they now are playing the victim and pretend it never happened and think we will forget what they did in the first place.
I dont think so.

Maybe. But I know this has been an ongoing discussion. I remember when CZ updated the policy to say we could no longer post DMN stories in the forum. Instead we had to post links and headlines. Maybe they felt like they had already tried? I am genuinely not taking sides, but I think full transparency is the right approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.