READ THIS Dallas Morning News (DMN) has demanded we no longer allow their content posted on CZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

markopolo100

Reaction score
Posting links and headlines and tweets is fine.

My only concern is that hard-working journalists, people who spend hours checking facts, going to games and practices and trying to get stories right are rewarded and still have jobs in the future.

Recently, ESPN and the Fort Worth paper fired longtime writers. The business is rough right now because advertising on sites is not paying the bills. So many sites, like ours, are going the subscription route. I know it's not convenient to have to link to stories instead of copying and pasting them, but we really appreciate you helping us out.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Recently, ESPN and the Fort Worth paper fired longtime writers. The business is rough right now because advertising on sites is not paying the bills. So many sites, like ours, are going the subscription route. I know it's not convenient to have to link to stories instead of copying and pasting them, but we really appreciate you helping us out.
The point is, with the way you guys handled this with our beloved site owner, I don't think we will "be helping you out."

Sorry, bubba. Shoulda handled this a bit more classier than a C&D order. Our site owner would have graciously abided by a simple discussion with you (don't need to speak for him, but I shall) and your team. But alas, you use fear tactics and have offended a site with 35k members that are very active.

Good luck with your paper.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

My only concern is that hard-working journalists, people who spend hours checking facts, going to games and practices and trying to get stories right are rewarded and still have jobs in the future.

You really should read my response I wrote to your previous post.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Reality, feel free to reach out to me personally at mfrancescutti@**************
While I appreciate the offer, your law firm and the C&D they sent supersedes any authority you, as an employee of DMN, could provide with regards to permission. That is why unless your law firm rescinds the C&D in writing, we will remove all DMN content from the site as demanded.

waldoputty

Reaction score

Yes, keep 'negotiating with yourself.
WE DO NOT NEED YOU.
AND WE ARE NOT STUPID.

Keep insulting our intelligence with "posting links and headlines and tweets is fine"
Yes you want all the posters to do your marketing for you.

Not only do you need to terminate your poster, your bean counter.
You also need to terminate the genius who FAILED to warn your stupid company about not shooting itself in the foot.

erod

Reaction score

No, "the business is rough right now" because of the incessant self-promotion of reporters in general and a pushed political agenda that isn't interested in facts or truth anymore.

I know your business, and knew it when it was great. You've sacrificed talent and ethics for hiring quotas and predetermined storylines to divide people and invent controversy.

Your integrity as an industry is utter crap.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Legally there is no basis for the cease and desist order. As long as anything posted from DMN was properly credited, it's fair game. It's what happens when you work in mass media. Good luck with that in court.

Not if they officially copyright their work.
There are times when a newspaper wants to so protect its work that it will issue a "copyright" on its stories. That means that even if you attribute the information to the original source, you have no right to market the work without legal permission.
It would be like saying you can use Queen's song "We are the Champion" because you gave proper credit to the group with a mention.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Why are you all arguing with him? :huh:
Cuz he came here? After an aggressive action from his firm. And is acting like it's all kosher and refuses to engage in Reality's discussion point. Instead, continues to offer his email (which, LOL, is censored).

Why are you asking, Tyke :huh:

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Not if they officially copyright their work.
There are times when a newspaper wants to so protect its work that it will issue a "copyright" on its stories. That means that even if you attribute the information to the original source, you have no right to market the work without legal permission.
It would be like saying you can use Queen's song "We are the Champion" because you gave proper credit to the group with a mention.
The point is, Tyke, **** DMN. :)

And Queen is awesome.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Cuz he came here? After an aggressive action from his firm. And is acting like it's all kosher and refuses to engage in Reality's discussion point. Instead continues to offer his email (which, LOL, is censored).

Why are you asking, Tyke :huh:

From his law firm. And it seems to me his trying to be conciliatory. I just don't think the nasty posts are necessary. But that's my opinion. People will do what they want to do.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
The point is, Tyke, **** DMN. :)

And Queen is awesome.

With all due respect, I think that's a juvenile response. I don't like the fact that DMN has issued a cease and desist order. But ... it's their work. I can't get mad at an organization or a person protecting their personal/business property. Shrug.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
From his law firm. And it seems to me his trying to be conciliatory. I just don't think the nasty posts are necessary. But that's my opinion. People will do what they want to do.
We're just worked up here, we liked having their content and it stings a little, add to that the way it was handled.

I agree, some of the posts (certainly, mine included) are a little unbecoming. But we are fam here, and his firm aggressively attacked (in the form of a threatening C&D) our Admin.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
With all due respect, I think that's a juvenile response. I don't like the fact that DMN has issued a cease and desist order. But ... it's their work. I can't get mad at an organization or a person protecting their personal/business property. Shrug.
I won't disagree it's a juvenile response, Tyke :)

It was meant more in jest.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
We're just worked up here, we liked having their content and it stings a little, add to that the way it was handled.

I agree, some of the posts (certainly, mine included) are a little unbecoming. But we are fam here, and his firm aggressively attacked (in the form of a threatening C&D) our Admin.

Fair enough. This is a good post by you Trouty. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.