Dallas Morning News staff predicts what's next for Romo

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Could the cowboys keep him and let him compete for the starting job? Competition is great... Would it be a mistake to just assume Dak is not a 1-year wonder? I like Dak, but I'd sure hate to give up Romo for nothing when Dak is only costing us 700 grand or something like that...and I would have no problem with him and Romo competing for the job. Why is competition such a bad thing with JG.

Of course they could. That would be what they'd be doing if Romo hadn't been injured and Dak was the backup. What people want is to rid themselves of Romo's contract although we're already on the hook for a good deal.

He's due 5.7M X 3 in restructured bonus plus a 5M signing bonus this year. That's 17.1M to release him as a Jun1. You save 14M in base salary for 2017 plus, I think, a 5M signing bonus.

But if you keep him to compete then you're paying him 24.7M to play in 2017. That's compared to 8.55M this year and next to release him. I suppose they could pay the 17.1M this year if that fits their cap situation better.

So it's not out of the question to pay him and let him compete. Who cares if it bruises Dak's feelings? It should boil down to how comfortable they are with Dak going forward and how much they want the cap relief as well as what they do with it.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In today's Sunday paper, the Dallas Morning News staff was asked what's next for Tony Romo.
Will he stay, be traded, be cut right away, retire, or be a June 1 release?

Here are the abbreviated replies (sorry in advance for the group think and non=creativity...so boring):

David Moore
June1 release designation, (5.1 mil cap savings)
Then to a contender. He thinks Houston is a major contender with Denver close behind.

Kevin Sherrington
June 1 release
Rom signs with Broncos and they go to the AFC title game where they lose to the Ravens.
He then retires and goes into TV
lol...at least this guy said something slightly different

Tim Cowlishaw
June 1 release.
There will be teams that want him but a trade is not viable due to his contract, etc.

Rick Gosselin
June 1 release
He guesses Houston is at the top of Romo's shopping list with a top defense, 1000 yard back and two strong WRs. Denver is second.

Jon Machota
Trade.
Will be traded to an AFC that thinks they're a QB away from a possible Super Bowl

Kate Hairopoulos
June 1 release
Also mentioned Houston and Denver....nothing like group think.

Brandon George
June1 release
Expects him to land on a contender, with Denver at the top of his list.

So,
  • 6 of 7 think its a June release designation.
  • 1 says a trade.
  • 0 say retire
  • 0 say play in Dallas
  • 0 say early release

That is a clueless bunch.

In other news, I've been asked to give my opinion on the value of a piece of Impressionist Artwork.

lukin2006

Reaction score
Of course they could. That would be what they'd be doing if Romo hadn't been injured and Dak was the backup. What people want is to rid themselves of Romo's contract although we're already on the hook for a good deal.

He's due 5.7M X 3 in restructured bonus plus a 5M signing bonus this year. That's 17.1M to release him as a Jun1. You save 14M in base salary for 2017 plus, I think, a 5M signing bonus.

But if you keep him to compete then you're paying him 24.7M to play in 2017. That's compared to 8.55M this year and next to release him. I suppose they could pay the 17.1M this year if that fits their cap situation better.

So it's not out of the question to pay him and let him compete. Who cares if it bruises Dak's feelings? It should boil down to how comfortable they are with Dak going forward and how much they want the cap relief as well as what they do with it.

Thank you, I doubt I'll ever totally understand how the NFL cap works, seems very complicated. You explained the situation very well. I wouldn't mind the seeing more competition.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Yes. Tony is done. He lost his job to a College kid. Nobody is picking up those injuries...bloated contract and losing playoff record. It's retirement....
There's a winning scout team somewhere in the NFL that he can start for. I promise you that.

lukin2006

Reaction score
Yeah. It'd be for the cap savings of 5.1 mil.

By then the only FA agents available would be similar types as Romo, post-June 1 cuts, not sure if bargain hunting FA will fix our pass rush. I think if that's the case, hang onto him and let him compete, or maybe some team who thinks they are close to an SB will need a QB due to an injury (similar to Minnesota) and then maybe we can trade him for a draft pick...

thisiscowboyscountry

Reaction score
Romo is tradeable if he agrees to a renogiated contract and the Cowboys will obviously eat the cap hit. I do not want to give Romo to a contender for free when the cost savings to cut him isnt significant this season. The Cowboys could very well spend 3 million on a backup QB anyway so whats the real savings 2 million? Post June 1st cut does nothing to help the Cowboys in free agency this season.

thisiscowboyscountry

Reaction score
By then the only FA agents available would be similar types as Romo, post-June 1 cuts, not sure if bargain hunting FA will fix our pass rush. I think if that's the case, hang onto him and let him compete, or maybe some team who thinks they are close to an SB will need a QB due to an injury (similar to Minnesota) and then maybe we can trade him for a draft pick...

Post June 1st cuts can immediately sign with another team, but theams dont get the cap savings until after June 1st...

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Romo is tradeable if he agrees to a renogiated contract and the Cowboys will obviously eat the cap hit. I do not want to give Romo to a contender for free when the cost savings to cut him isnt significant this season. The Cowboys could very well spend 3 million on a backup QB anyway so whats the real savings 2 million? Post June 1st cut does nothing to help the Cowboys in free agency this season.
If they keep him as a backup the cost is 14M to the cap.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I suspect all Dallas will do is bargain hunting FA shopping. Plus the can use cap for their own guys too.

Honestly, I have no real idea what'll happen

DFWJC

Reaction score
Yes. Tony is done. He lost his job to a College kid. Nobody is picking up those injuries...bloated contract and losing playoff record. It's retirement....
No likey:laugh:

Buddy bet....you're gonna owe me a cold one when we all get together in Central America:yourock:

yimyammer

Reaction score
I keep hearing the talking-heads (even the guys on DC.com) stating that he won't be traded because of his "massive contract". Don't the Cowboys eat all of the guaranteed money if he's traded/released? Isn't that why some team should be more willing to trade for his contract where they'll only be paying his base salary and can release him at anytime?

Yes, is amazing how lazy these reporters are in that they apparently cant be bothered to look up Romo's contract terms which are under-market if he plays close to expectation and if he sucks, etc they can cut him.

Romo's contract is not an issue for teams willing to let him be their QB