Dallas Morning News staff predicts what's next for Romo

thisiscowboyscountry

Reaction score
If they keep him as a backup the cost is 14M to the cap.

The real cap savings is 5 million if they cut him, if they sign someone as a backup QB theyre probably looking at 3 million for a decent veteran backup. Net savings is 2 million without Romo. They could designate him a June 1st cut, but the additional savings doesnt help them in free agency.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
No, it's 14M plus a 5M signing bonus of which the latter could be negotiable I assume.

Edit: I suppose the 14M could be negotiable as well but I don't know that.
His base salary is 14M.

Any prorated bonus is already goign to hit the cap either this season or next.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
The real cap savings is 5 million if they cut him, if they sign someone as a backup QB theyre probably looking at 3 million for a decent veteran backup. Net savings is 2 million without Romo. They could designate him a June 1st cut, but the additional savings doesnt help them in free agency.
The accounting is accounting.

IF we keep him next season we are adding 14m to our total cap charge.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
His base salary is 14M.

Any prorated bonus is already goign to hit the cap either this season or next.

But he still gets the 5M signing bonus if they keep him around.....unless he renegotiates his contracts base salary and/or any bonuses. That puts him at 19M. The renegotiated stuff is still on the balance sheet regardless as you pointed out.

Titleist

Reaction score
Release is the worst case scenario for the Cowboys as a team, that would be such a failure.
We can't completely control what the market demands. Is there a team out there that would surrender picks for Romo? Maybe, but I doubt it.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
But he still gets the 5M signing bonus if they keep him around.....unless he renegotiates his contracts base salary and/or any bonuses. That puts him at 19M. The renegotiated stuff is still on the balance sheet regardless as you pointed out.
That's not how it works. Romo when he signed his contract got a 25mm signing bonus. He was paid this money upfront. The beauty of a signing bonus is that you can spread the cap hit over a maximum of 5 years. The 5mm you are seeing 'due' this year is just the final part of his signing bonus money. It is this kind of salary cap machination that allowed Romo's year 1 cap hit under this deal to only be about 12mm.

The only money that Romo will be paid this year, on this contract, is his 14mm base salary which becomes fully guaranteed week 1 as Romo is a vested veteran.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
That's not how it works. Romo when he signed his contract got a 25mm signing bonus. He was paid this money upfront. The beauty of a signing bonus is that you can spread the cap hit over a maximum of 5 years. The 5mm you are seeing 'due' this year is just the final part of his signing bonus money. It is this kind of salary cap machination that allowed Romo's year 1 cap hit under this deal to only be about 12mm.

The only money that Romo will be paid this year, on this contract, is his 14mm base salary which becomes fully guaranteed week 1 as Romo is a vested veteran.

I thought that was a signing bonus for this year built into his contract just like his base salary. If ur sure then my bad.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
I thought that was a signing bonus for this year built into his contract just like his base salary. If ur sure then my bad.
Yup. If you trade for Romo and don't extend him you owe him 14mm and if you did nothing else that would be his cap hit, 14mm.

More than likely he signs a 2 or 3 year extension or so which lowers his cap hit and provides some security for his new team.

csirl

Reaction score
I think he'll be a designated June 1st - this is best for the Cowboys as it spreads the cap hit over 2 years (money will be used to lock down OL).

He'll sign a low guarantees, high incentives contract with a non-contender (pride) and retire at the end of training camp when the it becomes clear that he'll struggle to survive a season.

LittleD

Reaction score
Lot's of guys on this site still playing Madden I see. Romo is not going to renegotiate his contract for less money.
My guess is that Romo will get more money to play for someone because good QB's are hard to come by. Dallas
will release Romo before the season starts as his 14mil salary for this year becomes guaranteed. Dallas will
declare him a June 1st cut so that the cap hit can be spread over two years. Romo will get to pick his new team
and his agent will find him a team where he gets to start. Romo is not going to stay with the Cowboys as a backup
and you can take that to the bank. Jerry loves his adopted son and will not treat him that way. Now, lets start talking
about draft picks for this year. Enough of this Romo stuff... That's yesterdays news.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
The only way to get a trade for Romo is for JJ to be willing to keep him at his full salary as a backup. His only leverage is that he doesn't HAVE to cut him or trade him and was already committed to paying his salary for the next 2 years anyway...

Broncos are posturing and pressuring for a release. If you see some quotes from JJ about keeping Tony as a backup, you know he is posturing for a trade.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
In today's Sunday paper, the Dallas Morning News staff was asked what's next for Tony Romo.
Will he stay, be traded, be cut right away, retire, or be a June 1 release?

Here are the abbreviated replies (sorry in advance for the group think and non=creativity...so boring):

David Moore
June1 release designation, (5.1 mil cap savings)
Then to a contender. He thinks Houston is a major contender with Denver close behind.

Kevin Sherrington
June 1 release
Rom signs with Broncos and they go to the AFC title game where they lose to the Ravens.
He then retires and goes into TV
lol...at least this guy said something slightly different

Tim Cowlishaw
June 1 release.
There will be teams that want him but a trade is not viable due to his contract, etc.

Rick Gosselin
June 1 release
He guesses Houston is at the top of Romo's shopping list with a top defense, 1000 yard back and two strong WRs. Denver is second.

Jon Machota
Trade.
Will be traded to an AFC that thinks they're a QB away from a possible Super Bowl

Kate Hairopoulos
June 1 release
Also mentioned Houston and Denver....nothing like group think.

Brandon George
June1 release
Expects him to land on a contender, with Denver at the top of his list.

So,
  • 6 of 7 think its a June release designation.
  • 1 says a trade.
  • 0 say retire
  • 0 say play in Dallas
  • 0 say early release

Sounds accurate to me. Looks like our local writers nailed it .

Cowboys22

Reaction score
No trades. Any club that has an interest, money wise its a killer, they will wait until he is released. He will be released.

No it's not. The team that trades for him is only on the hook for his $14 million salary. Not only is that cheap for a franchise QB but there is nothing that says Romo can't agree to a new or lesser deal after being traded. The contract is not a holdup at all. The holdup is the draft pick and Romo's uncertain health.

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
Tony has the ability to change his contract lol and hes still a top 10 QB. Teams will want him and as long as he stays healthy hes going to put up all star numbers.

Its OK to love Prescott and still love Tony. Idk its such a struggle here. Romo is legend in these parts, god bless him and I hope we dont have to play him in 2017.

LittleD

Reaction score
No it's not. The team that trades for him is only on the hook for his $14 million salary. Not only is that cheap for a franchise QB but there is nothing that says Romo can't agree to a new or lesser deal after being traded. The contract is not a holdup at all. The holdup is the draft pick and Romo's uncertain health.

Romo will not agree. Romo wants to get to a SB and is not going to go to a bottom feeder team. No team is going to offer picks when they
know JJ is not going to pay Romo 14mil to stand on the sidelines. Romo would probably just hold out if JJ tried that snafu.

LittleD

Reaction score
Tony has the ability to change his contract lol and hes still a top 10 QB. Teams will want him and as long as he stays healthy hes going to put up all star numbers.

Its OK to love Prescott and still love Tony. Idk its such a struggle here. Romo is legend in these parts, god bless him and I hope we dont have to play him in 2017.

Tony might have the ability to but, no player of his quality and stature in the league is going to. JJ will have to let him go of suffer with
14mil for a QB backup holding a clipboard. Tony can nix any trade by retiring and all his CAP hit comes crashing down this year.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Lot's of guys on this site still playing Madden I see. Romo is not going to renegotiate his contract for less money.
Actually, you can't renegotiate contracts in Madden.

Now, lets start talking about draft picks for this year. Enough of this Romo stuff... That's yesterdays news.

You may want to try not clicking on a thread titled "Dallas Morning News staff predicts what's next for Romo", if you want to talk draft.

;)

Shinaoi

Reaction score
I just went and did some snooping at the Texans and broncos message boards. Most broncos fans are in favor of him, and a lot of Texans fans don't want him.