Dallas Morning News staff predicts what's next for Romo

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Romo will not agree. Romo wants to get to a SB and is not going to go to a bottom feeder team. No team is going to offer picks when they
know JJ is not going to pay Romo 14mil to stand on the sidelines. Romo would probably just hold out if JJ tried that snafu.

All that may be true but none of it changes what I said. Romo's contract is not the stumbling block to a trade. A team trading for him will be getting a franchise QB at a very reasonable salary and cap commitment. I don't think JJ is going to try and force a trade to a bad team and I also don't think Romo will take a hardline stance either. I suspect they will reach an agreement to let Romo and his agent seek an agreeable trade and if nothing comes of that, Jerry will be faced with the difficult decision of cutting him or paying him $14 million as a backup. I know everyone says it's impossible to keep him and Romo will rebel but I'm not so sure Jerry can't find a way to make it work if a trade can't be found. It may be a longshot but I will not be surprised at all if Romo remains a Cowboys for one more year.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
Interesting thing also late into this mix.

Big Ben hinted at retiring.

Maybe Pittsburg come in fast to get a trade in there to beat out Huston and Denver.

LittleD

Reaction score
All that may be true but none of it changes what I said. Romo's contract is not the stumbling block to a trade. A team trading for him will be getting a franchise QB at a very reasonable salary and cap commitment. I don't think JJ is going to try and force a trade to a bad team and I also don't think Romo will take a hardline stance either. I suspect they will reach an agreement to let Romo and his agent seek an agreeable trade and if nothing comes of that, Jerry will be faced with the difficult decision of cutting him or paying him $14 million as a backup. I know everyone says it's impossible to keep him and Romo will rebel but I'm not so sure Jerry can't find a way to make it work if a trade can't be found. It may be a longshot but I will not be surprised at all if Romo remains a Cowboys for one more year.

Great minds can and often do disagree. We will see as March is only a little over a month away.

cmoney23

Reaction score
I don't think there is any way that he has all this interest.
Houston, Denver, NYJ, AZ plus maybe a sneaky team or two and they just release him. Someone will pony up a conditional pick or picks for him. I could see it being a 3rd with it being able to go up to a 1st if he plays all 16 games/ makes it to the "blank round"/ etc.
These teams aren't going to worry much about the dollars. With the cap going up and them "being close to winning" he's worth every penny.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Seeing that the Jones' love him and that he owns so many Cowboys passing records, is there a chance that if this got a little ugly that his chances (however good or slim they may be) of ROH would be in jeopardy?
And what if he left and actually went to or even won a SB with another team?

Honest question and hoping for a lack of snide comments.
Just curious what some think.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
trade Romo for Sheldon Richardson straight up. Jets draft Fournette. Everybody is happy

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
He can always come back and sign a 1 day contract and Retire a Cowboy.
That's what I was getting at. Media and fans are speculating his next team. I think there's a strong chance he just decides to retire a Cowboy and be done this offseason.

csirl

Reaction score
Doesn't suit us to trade him - it means we have to take a cap hit twice as much as if he is a June 1st cut. Makes no sense unless we receive premium picks, which isn't going to happen.

LittleD

Reaction score
I would keep Romo as our backup.

You can't just keep him. He probably would rather retire than hold a clipboard next season. They will
work this out for him to be a FA this season.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Tony might have the ability to but, no player of his quality and stature in the league is going to. JJ will have to let him go of suffer with
14mil for a QB backup holding a clipboard. Tony can nix any trade by retiring and all his CAP hit comes crashing down this year.

You can look at it that way or the fact that they are paying a great rate just to have an elite QB and a backup. One is locked into a 4th round contract and 14M plus that contract is dirt cheap for two good+ QBs.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I laugh at the idea that writers think teams will fight over Romo as a FA but won't pay him 14m but also that he is the missing piece but won't trade for him to secure his rights over getting into a bidding war

The whole OP is chuck full o misinformation........ a June 1st release is probably the worst case scenario for DAL but it saves 14m that can't be used until June 2nd, not 5.1m right away

MarkP88

Reaction score
I think that if the team played its cards right, they probably could get a pick for Romo. Maybe a third rounder that could escalate to a higher pick depending on where his new team finishes, etc. But I haven't seen anything that makes me think Jerry is willing to be the least bit ruthless about this. I think he and Tony have a gentlemen's agreement and the team will prioritize Tony's desired destination over maximizing returns in the form of a pick.

I think Tony wants to go to Denver, Denver wants him (as they can sign him free and clear), and that'll be that. Arizona would be an intriguing match for him, but there's more moving parts there (Palmer's and Fitzgerald's status) that would probably need to be clear in order for Tony to have a clear sense of how viable a destination they are.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
That's what I was getting at. Media and fans are speculating his next team. I think there's a strong chance he just decides to retire a Cowboy and be done this offseason.
If I were Tony, I would definitely retire. It just seems like the smart decision. He has his health, had a great career, and made enough money that the next countless generations of Romo will never need to work a day in their lives.

I just don't see it happening, though. I think he wants to still play too badly.