Dallas needs Sean Payton no matter what it costs

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Reading that Peyton has been noncommittal withe the Saints on their head coaching position for next year.

What would you give up ?

I would do a second round pick.

We need someone who can extract the talent from this offense and Dak.

He has a solid background, and one of the few Coaches Jerry would be comfortable with.

What to you guys/gals think ?
We already have him in MM. One Super Bowl with a Hall of Fame quarterback.

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
Payton got one Super Bowl out of Drew Brees, and we're complaining about Mike McCarthy because he only got one out of Aaron Rodgers?

Uh, pass.

I’m sorry but again has anyone actually looked at what he did over his career. He was eliminated twice by the Vikings in divisional round. One on a miracle and one on a non call.

But the most egregious? The rams non pass interference call back in 2018. If he gets what is the most obvious call in nfl history Peyton goes to another SB and maybe wins a second.

The notion that he only had one run is false

cityochamps

What Just Happened Here
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Absolutely, that would be a huge success if the Jones pulled that one off, i am betting he ends up with Da Bears

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
What would change? I mean, maybe he would get better results than he did in New Orleans without Brees, but what are we really gaining? He's coached one Super Bowl.
McCarthy has more post season wins, one less season and a Super Bowl win. Same age.
That's the measurement around here, not the regular season or roster. And giving up a day one starter or more in the draft is a bad idea currently.
I'm not suggesting keeping McCarthy for a decade, but he got us to the playoffs with a competent QB.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I feel like Mike Tomlin, John Harbaugh, Mike McCarthy and Sean Payton are all very similar coaches. Longevity at their respective teams (McCarthy being the first of that group to go), all had successful and regular post season appearance, all are now old-guard with the rise of Shanahan the Younger, McVay, et al.

I think Tomlin and Harbaugh are the best two in this crowd. Both had lesser QBs and got it done, but enjoy two of the most stable organizations in professional sports. I like McCarthy SLIGHTLY more than Payton, but recognize the argument against it. I do not believe that Payton would do much better here than McCarthy.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
What would change? I mean, maybe he would get better results than he did in New Orleans without Brees, but what are we really gaining? He's coached one Super Bowl.
McCarthy has more post season wins, one less season and a Super Bowl win. Same age.
That's the measurement around here, not the regular season or roster. And giving up a day one starter or more in the draft is a bad idea currently.
I'm not suggesting keeping McCarthy for a decade, but he got us to the playoffs with a competent QB.

Yeah I struggle to understand why people think Payton is >>>>>> McCarthy. Same age, generationally good QBs, but Payton has his warts too. Somehow because Drew Brees wasn't a public HEEL and got along with Payton, it's just assumed that Payton is a better coach.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Yeah I struggle to understand why people think Payton is >>>>>> McCarthy. Same age, generationally good QBs, but Payton has his warts too. Somehow because Drew Brees wasn't a public HEEL and got along with Payton, it's just assumed that Payton is a better coach.
If we ever move on I'd hope for a young up and comer, not another couple of seasons and done older one.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I’m sorry but again has anyone actually looked at what he did over his career. He was eliminated twice by the Vikings in divisional round. One on a miracle and one on a non call.

But the most egregious? The rams non pass interference call back in 2018. If he gets what is the most obvious call in nfl history Peyton goes to another SB and maybe wins a second.

The notion that he only had one run is false

What does "run" have to do with appearances in the Super Bowl? :huh:
You also forget that in that New Orleans-Rams game there was a penalty not called against the Saints too.

But all this is coulda, woulda, shoulda.

In 14 years, the man has been to one Super Bowl with a Hall of Fame quarterback. ONE! Also, playing in a division with Tampa Bay (who generally sucked until Brady came along), the Panthers (one great year notwithstanding) and the Falcons (ditto the Panther comment).

If we're going to give McCarthy grief for beating up on the NFC Least Sister's of the Impoverished then getting spanked in the playoffs, Payton doesn't escape criticism either.

If we're going to bring in anyone, let's bring in fresh blood. Definitely not a near-retirement coach who will cost us a much-needed draft pick.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
again he in all likelihood goes to (and maybe wins) a second if he gets what was the most obvious PI call in nfl history against the rams in the nfc title game
Ifs don't count man. Same with counting "almost and INT." Didn't happen.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Thank you. Didn't see your comment before I made mine.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
I would do a 3rd or 2nd if I had to. It would be nice to have a coach that people wouldn't second guess all the time.
Around here? I don't think there's any such person that people around here wouldn't second guess all the time.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The trade is set up through the league for a HC under contract at 2 1st round picks, which is what St. Lousi paid for Vermeil.

This is a coach that has delivered one ring and made questionable game calls because he is still pass happy.

The only thing that kept the Saints from the cellar was their defense this year. Taysom Hill for a NFL QB? Thinks whom besides Payton?

starcity214

Reaction score
I remember reading on here that people were glad we got McCarthy because he was a QB whisperer that developed Rodgers and helped Favre also...

Lol!

Those 2 QBs were great because they had TALENT!

Same thing will go down with Payton if he comes here. I mean, why didn't Sean Payton turn Hill into Brees? Coaching can only do so much at this level lol

The only REAL thing a HC attributes to an NFL team is the over all culture and the in game management. That's it! Coaches RARELY (if ever) turn bad players into good ones.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
again he in all likelihood goes to (and maybe wins) a second if he gets what was the most obvious PI call in nfl history against the rams in the nfc title game

Goodell is holding a grudge against Payton for BountyGate and against Jerry for the sponsorship lawsuit.. Having both men in one town would be a dream come true for Goodell.. He'd only have to screw over one team every year.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Sean Peyton is not willing to be Jerry's puppet so get that idea out of your head!