Dallas should explore Dak trade value

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
The offense (mainly the pass game) has gotten progressively worse every year under Dak despite having the same average time to throw since his rookie year.

Wait a minute...

You think the offensive line has given as much time to pass without pressure the last two years, than they did in 2016? That is what you are claiming? Trying to be clear.

dallasdave

Reaction score
How did I miss this thread yesterday. The Dak Contract threads will be epic.

Vj5YnY6.gif
Yeah it's an everyday thing. :laugh:

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
If the pass game has gotten worse every year, and I mean a steady and noticeable drop off, why are we attaching his name to the success of the team like he was one of the major contributors to winning?
please never post anythign this dumb again.
Dak produced the 6th highest passing yardage total in Cowboys history last year and made the Pro Bowl.
He has 2 of the top 10 passing seasons and 2 Pro Bowls in 3 years as a starter.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
You have a opinion you post here often as many others do, point was there is no clear consensuses anywhere of what Dak is as a QB from talking heads to this board.
Talking heads are at a concensus tthat he is a franchise QB.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Lawrence proved it, so he deserved to get paid. He earned it. And the same would apply to Dak. If he proves it in 2019, his number would be much closer to Aaron Rodgers at the top that it is now. Right now, the quarterback salaries are proving to be cautionary tales of what NOT to do. When none of the top six even MAKE the playoffs, it's a warning sign that teams are doing it wrong.
Your right. At the end of the day what D-Law got is pretty much average for the new pay scale for the position. I do think with his injury history that it scares me. I don’t worrry about the suspension.

It’s gonna be the same with Dak. The position pay scale goes up every year. And barring injury he is going to have alike or better numbers than last year..

Teams look at his win/loss record. Comp %. Tds vs Int. Stats.. it’s a team game but when you look at pay they will look at stats and the fact he won the division 2 out of 3 years. Went to the playoffs 2 out of 3 years. Only missed 2017 by 1 game. And he has only been playing for 3 years.

Any other team and any other qb and we would be begging to have a qb like that. Lol.

conner01

Reaction score
Oh the responses in this thread will be gold... Where’s the popcorn?
That’s a true statement
Never understood why a QB is not good enough to keep but someone else will give you a load of good picks for him

dallasdave

Reaction score
So if you're "doubting we're going to see that much improvement", why are you panicking about paying him sooner? That's a contradiction.

Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl too, as did Brad Johnson. That's on their "resumes" as well. But that doesn't mean that they were good, it just means that they were on great teams that carried them.

I'll present the exact opposite reasoning. This team isn't in the Super Bowl, but you rushed to pay the quarterback. Now you're stuck, your coach was fired for not reaching the Super Bowl, and you now need to find a coach willing to sign on to coach a grossly overpaid quarterback. You yourself said "I doubt we're going to see that much improvement from Dak waiting another year."

While I don't deny that all of these played a role, it's also undeniable that the quarterbacking did as well.
Great point some of those Super Bowl winnning QB's were BUS Drivers. :hammer:

Knotamus

Reaction score
Could not disagree more

There may have been other reasons but Dak's limitations are a significant part of the problem

He has also shown an inability to improve on basic deficiencies like setting his feet, stepping up in the pocket . The chances he'll work more on these after getting paid are very small if he hadn't worked on them when major money is on the line

This year we will struggle but then the excuse will be: this is Moore's first year as OC, he needs another year

There will ALWAYS be an excuse for Garrett and Dak

I think we can agree to disagree on Dak for now..

But I will say, If Dak underperforms this year with:

A healthy OL
New OC
Better WR core
Witten back n growth from Shultz/Jarwin

Then I will not be defending Dak. At this point, I believe Dak has all the pieces to excel, not to mention he’s in his 4th year. I’m just not going to gloss over his accomplishments as most do. Imo, he’s earned the right to have his fan base support him. Instead, if you read some post.. you’d think he was Quincy Carter. Dak has my support.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
please never post anythign this dumb again.
Dak produced the 6th highest passing yardage total in Cowboys history last year and made the Pro Bowl.
He has 2 of the top 10 passing seasons and 2 Pro Bowls in 3 years as a starter.
Another troll babbling about "Pro Bowls" :rolleyes:

Strangely, Dak made the Pro Bowl because he couldn't get past Jared Goff and the Rams... thus enabling Goff to get to the Super Bowl and needing a replacement for the Pro Bowl.

Even Dak's accolades revolve around his ineptness.

visionary

Reaction score
I think we can agree to disagree on Dak for now..

But I will say, If Dak underperforms this year with:

A healthy OL
New OC
Better WR core
Witten back n growth from Shultz/Jarwin

Then I will not be defending Dak. At this point, I believe Dak has all the pieces to excel, not to mention he’s in his 4th year. I’m just not going to gloss over his accomplishments as most do. Imo, he’s earned the right to have his fan base support him. Instead, if you read some post.. you’d think he was Quincy Carter. Dak has my support.

Yeah but by then it'll be too late
We'll be on the hook for 22 mill per year for several years (including his bonus)

glimmerman

Reaction score
That’s a true statement
Never understood why a QB is not good enough to keep but someone else will give you a load of good picks for him
Because what they have is a hot mess. And they see what another team has and wants that. They don’t realize what is around the individual player that make the TEAM win. I hate to say it but the egirls put together players and scheme around foles. And the guy won them a sb. I was totally surprised he didn’t get a huge contract. But I think teams saw enough of him to know he has a big chance to be a flop.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
He would not get three first rounders. No team would give that up.

And trading him would be silly at this point.
Why would trading him, be silly?

Say he demands $30m a year, do you cave into his demands??

I would trade him yesterday and get Rosen in here asap. That way we can sign all of our talent

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Not really, in the case of about half the teams in the league (and almost all the teams in the market for a QB). Almost half the teams in the NFL ran more than Dallas last year as their normal offense. Below is the percentage of plays from scrimmage that were runs in 2018. Overall, Dallas' run % ranked 9th, but that was because of teams ahead of them on these lists that were often taken out of their normal offense when they fell behind late in the game or fell behind by more than 8 points.

% of plays that were runs
Qtr 1-3

1 Sea 53.6
2 Buf 49.1
3 Ten 47.9
4 Bal 46.5
5 Hou 45.5
6 NYJ 44.7
7 Car 44.3
8 Jax 44.1
9 SF 43.5
10 Chi 43.4
11 Mia 43.1
12 Was 42.7
13 Ari 42.7
14 Dal 42.6

How many of these teams would you consider to have a quarterback worthy of a first-round pick? Wilson, maybe Trubisky?

Generally, the perception is going to be that you don't have to have a quarterback who is a great passer if you are a running team. Of course, several of these have quarterbacks who add to the running game as part of their skill set.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I'd take Baker Mayfield for Dak and give them a 1st and a 3rd. They'd refuse. And I know we don't have a 1st to give.
I want to see more of baker before I make that call. But it looks like the browns finally got a good one.

Also want to see what Dak does this year. He is looking good. Yes he missed some wide open wr. I have seem brady miss wide open wr. I have seen rothlessburber miss multiple times in the same game. It happens to all qb. Hands on head disgusted with themselves after the play wishing they could have the throw to do over.

To me it’s the sacks he is taking that he don’t need to. He is missing wide open holes he has right up the middle to run. He has to start pulling the ball down and taking them before he scrambles all the time. Not just the designed runs but the scramble right up the gut. If he starts doing that he will drive defenses crazy.

Flamma

Reaction score
Super Bowl with a young QB playing on a contract year. Guess who the biggest benefactor to this will be with only a fraction ( if that) of improvement to his game. His value has now gone from 2019 $25-27M range to 2020 $30-35M.

Ok, but what if the reverse happens? What if we sign him for 6 years between 25-27M and we don't make the playoffs? If that happens then we can just toss the next 6 years in the recycle bin. Because he's not giving any of that back. I'd rather wait and pay him what he's worth, whatever that may be.

Sydla

Reaction score
Why would trading him, be silly?

Say he demands $30m a year, do you cave into his demands??

I would trade him yesterday and get Rosen in here asap. That way we can sign all of our talent

My point about not trading him is that I don't think this front office would be able to quickly adapt and come up with a plan to fix the QB spot fairly quickly.

If I had a better front office, I'd be more confident about any scenario to trade him.

But I also agree that you can't be held hostage by him if he makes some ridiculous contract demands.

Flamma

Reaction score
I want to see more of baker before I make that call. But it looks like the browns finally got a good one.

Also want to see what Dak does this year. He is looking good. Yes he missed some wide open wr. I have seem brady miss wide open wr. I have seen rothlessburber miss multiple times in the same game. It happens to all qb. Hands on head disgusted with themselves after the play wishing they could have the throw to do over.

To me it’s the sacks he is taking that he don’t need to. He is missing wide open holes he has right up the middle to run. He has to start pulling the ball down and taking them before he scrambles all the time. Not just the designed runs but the scramble right up the gut. If he starts doing that he will drive defenses crazy.

I agree for the most part. But Mayfield is the only QB in that draft class I like. But still, can't be sure about anything after one year.

I'll give Dak a pass on the sacks because I'd rather him take a sack than throw a pick. I would like to see him throw it away more often.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
You are wrong about that. Dak has shown he can go over 300 yards and even over 400 yards. Of course teams would love to give up a second for a franchise QB making pennies right now and is the second most winning QB only to Brady but he will bring much more than that. 2 to 3 first rounders is more close.

It's possible. Teams get pretty desperate when it comes to finding a quality quarterback. He's young and still developing, but has led his team to the playoffs twice and put up pretty good numbers overall. I just think if I'm a GM, I'm concerned about spending that much on a QB who has been up and down. A lot more goes into winning than just the QB play, so if I'm spending two or three first-rounders, I want to make absolutely sure that the player I'm acquiring is a franchise QB.

Based on Stephen's comments, it appears that Dallas feels certain that he is, so other teams might feel the same way. However, if they feel like I do, I don't think I'd be willing to invest multiple first-rounders in him yet. Maybe that's short-sighted, but right now based on what I've seen over three seasons, I just don't feel I'd be willing to spend more than a mid-first because I don't know if I'm getting the Dak of 2106 or the Dak of 2017, both of which we saw in 2018.

Flamma

Reaction score
Hopefully they let this play out on Dak's contract and place the Non Exclusve franchise tag on him, I really wonder if there is any team that would step up and give up 2 firsts for him plus pay him, I really do not believe there would be any takers.

There wouldn't be, he's not good enough for that. Very few players in this league are. There are also very few QB starved teams to do it. Cinci, Denver, who?