Dallas should explore Dak trade value

InTheZone

Reaction score
yeah lets trade the qb the team has invested 3 years in while drafting and signing all this talent around him. Great idea, you are a genius.
You understand the system we have in place SHOULD allow success for any QB. I was saying this in before 2016 that we are getting to this point. And look where we're at. And I said people would be quick to dismiss the support if we would win and act like it was the QB.

If an older QB like Cutler got 2 1sts I see no reason why we can't get more if teams believe he's the next greatest thing as some fans proclaim

Sydla

Reaction score
You understand the system we have in place SHOULD allow success for any QB. I was saying this in before 2016 that we are getting to this point. And look where we're at. And I said people would be quick to dismiss the support if we would win and act like it was the QB.

If an older QB like Cutler got 2 1sts I see no reason why we can't get more if teams believe he's the next greatest thing as some fans proclaim

Cutler was 25, about to turn 26, when he was traded to the Bears. Same age as Dak.

RodeoJake

Reaction score
That's true. In fact I remember hearing on the radio just yesterday how few of the starting quarterbacks in the league were actually not drafted by their current team. There may have been like five. Brees due to his shoulder (and Rivers), Garrapolo (due to Brady never retiring), and maybe two or three more (Flacco, Keenum, Foles)

But I have to ask exactly what Dak's "track record" truly is? Some peo;le are trying to use "Pro Bowls" and "team wins" as stats for him, and they don't hold much weight. And don't get me wrong, Dak has some good numbers, but I'm not sure that they're "$25 million a year" numbers.

His track record is leading the team into the playoffs 2 out of 3 years in the league. Now, I realize he ain't the type of QB that carries a team by himself, not many can. He is a leader that is still learning to play at the NFL level, but he is getting better. A QB starved team would pay a kings ransom for him. I do agree. He's not worth breaking the bank.

Sydla

Reaction score
His track record is leading the team into the playoffs 2 out of 3 years in the league. Now, I realize he ain't the type of QB that carries a team by himself, not many can. He is a leader that is still learning to play at the NFL level, but he is getting better. A QB starved team would pay a kings ransom for him. I do agree. He's not worth breaking the bank.

That's why he wouldn't warrant a king's ransom. Teams know not only would they have to give up picks, they'd have to pay him out the wazoo more than likely on top of that.

I think people are overvaluing his worth, especially knowing he would command a massive contract the moment you traded for him.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
After Stephan comments about Dak needing to sign team friendly deal and Dak on record as saying there will be no discount...an impasse is coming. Rather than get into issue of is Dak good or not, what could Cowboy get in trade if long term deal can't be agreed upon.

Note:
Denver received TWO 1st & 3rd for Jay Cutler
Cincy received 1st & 2nd for Carson Palmer
Eagles received 1st & 4th round pick for Sam Bradford.

If your Stephan, what would you need back in trade?

Note: this is not to get into large debate about if Dallas should or shouldn't do this but merely an exercise in what you think his current trade value is.

Dak will be here for another 5 to 7 years.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
His track record is leading the team into the playoffs 2 out of 3 years in the league.

While "leading" an offense that has gone from being ranked 5th (2016), to 14th (2017), to 22nd (2018).

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/dal/

Now, I realize he ain't the type of QB that carries a team by himself, not many can. He is a leader that is still learning to play at the NFL level, but he is getting better.

In terms of "getting better", I'm optimistic, but unsure.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PresDa01.htm

I don't see any numbers there that definitively say "getting better". That year one bar was set pretty high.

A QB starved team would pay a kings ransom for him. I do agree. He's not worth breaking the bank.

I agree that he's worth keeping, but at the right price. As you said, "he ain't the type of QB that carries a team by himself". Therefore, he shouldn't be paid like one. And the thing is, most of the guys that do carry their teams aren't paid like it either. Rodgers is the outlier, and that just happened. And I firmly believe that the Packers are going to regret it.

rags747

Reaction score
First off no way you trade away your franchise QB that hasnt hit his prime yet but for the silly Dak haters i will say Dak would get 3 first round picks minimal. I would would take Baker Mayfield and a first and third this year.
Ha, I’ll take Baker Mayfield even up and even throw in some enticements to make sure that it happens.

InTheZone

Reaction score
Cutler was 25, about to turn 26, when he was traded to the Bears. Same age as Dak.
Good to know, thought he was slightly older like around 28-30.

Market value goes up and Dak is the next best QB, so it's only fair we get more than what Chicago got for cutler.

InTheZone

Reaction score
While "leading" an offense that has gone from being ranked 5th (2016), to 14th (2017), to 22nd (2018).

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/dal/

In terms of "getting better", I'm optimistic, but unsure.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PresDa01.htm

I don't see any numbers there that definitively say "getting better". That year one bar was set pretty high.

I agree that he's worth keeping, but at the right price. As you said, "he ain't the type of QB that carries a team by himself". Therefore, he shouldn't be paid like one. And the thing is, most of the guys that do carry their teams aren't paid like it either. Rodgers is the outlier, and that just happened. And I firmly believe that the Packers are going to regret it.
Sticky this to the beginning of every Dak thread.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Too risky without a replacement. The idea that anyone can run this offense is inaccurate. He's good enough and you don't have to break the bank.

Brax

Reaction score
The minute you wrote that you took the opinions of posters here you lost me. Permanently.
You have a opinion you post here often as many others do, point was there is no clear consensuses anywhere of what Dak is as a QB from talking heads to this board.

Sydla

Reaction score
Ha, I’ll take Baker Mayfield even up and even throw in some enticements to make sure that it happens.

LOL. I was thinking the same thing. Shoot, I might throw in a 2nd or 3rd rounder with Dak to get Mayfield.

Sandyf

Reaction score
After Stephan comments about Dak needing to sign team friendly deal and Dak on record as saying there will be no discount...an impasse is coming. Rather than get into issue of is Dak good or not, what could Cowboy get in trade if long term deal can't be agreed upon.

Note:
Denver received TWO 1st & 3rd for Jay Cutler
Cincy received 1st & 2nd for Carson Palmer
Eagles received 1st & 4th round pick for Sam Bradford.

If your Stephan, what would you need back in trade?

Note: this is not to get into large debate about if Dallas should or shouldn't do this but merely an exercise in what you think his current trade value is.
It is like all the Lawrence threads with a different name. Sorry for those that dislike Dak, they will get him signed to a 5/6/7 year deal sometime before the season starts. Just reality.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Why would we trade Dak? I find it funny our critics here will tell you Cowboys can't win because of Jerry because of Jason and other coaches suck as well, we have hardly any talent on this team yet with Dak somehow this team has won the East 2 out of 3 years and never had a season below 500. Given all this why would I want to get rid of Dak? Seems he is able to overcome all the BS many here constantly complain about

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Too risky without a replacement. The idea that anyone can run this offense is inaccurate. He's good enough and you don't have to break the bank.

I think I'd need some qualifiers on "good enough" and "don't have to break the bank".

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is like all the Lawrence threads with a different name. Sorry for those that dislike Dak, they will get him signed to a 5/6/7 year deal sometime before the season starts. Just reality.

I don't think anyone honestly thinks they won't. Certainly haven't seen anyone outright saying that. This is just a hypothetical discussion of what people think he might fetch in return if the Cowboys ever did consider it.

Likewise, acknowledging that Prescott will in all likelihood get his big money extension does not require accepting it as a good decision.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
And what were those "issues" that you're mentioning
? Wasn't the defense. Wasn't the NFL's leading rusher. So what's left? The passing game? Who's in charge of how that performs?

:huh:

Adjustments/corrections from a few 2018 issues alone are probably worth at least a couple more wins. But like I said in another thread, I doubt we're going to see that much improvement from Dak waiting another year. I can see a slight bump in most of his stats but for the most part, he is what he is which is not bad at all coz his resume clearly shows he's a winner. Here's where waiting next year to do his deal gets tricky. Adjust, correct, fix or whatever you wanna call it, all the issues below and few breaks, this team could very well be in the Super Bowl. Super Bowl with a young QB playing on a contract year. Guess who the biggest benefactor to this will be with only a fraction ( if that) of improvement to his game. His value has now gone from 2019 $25-27M range to 2020 $30-35M.
This is why IMO you get him signed NOW more years the better.....

**FO failed WR by committee decision
**Not decision NOT to replace Witten with a quality TE
**Fredbeard injury
**Cooper and Dak playing with zero training camp reps
**Scott Linehan issues
**Connor Williams issues
**Red zone issues

Last edited:

InTheZone

Reaction score
Why would we trade Dak? I find it funny our critics here will tell you Cowboys can't win because of Jerry because of Jason and other coaches suck as well, we have hardly any talent on this team yet with Dak somehow this team has won the East 2 out of 3 years and never had a season below 500. Given all this why would I want to get rid of Dak? Seems he is able to overcome all the BS many here constantly complain about
The offense (mainly the pass game) has gotten progressively worse every year under Dak despite having the same average time to throw since his rookie year.