Dallas should explore Dak trade value

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
This is stupid with a capital S.
This team on paper has its 2nd or 3rd best shot at a title in the last 25 years.

You want to trade a QB for future picks when QB becomes the number 1 need with a bullet? LOL!!!!
All to set the franchise back 2-3 years and HOPE we end up with another Dak or better?

Brax

Reaction score
Exactly right. And like our deal for Amari Cooper, the player and agent know that they've got the team right where they want them in negotiations. So they're asking for the moon.
Hopefully they let this play out on Dak's contract and place the Non Exclusve franchise tag on him, I really wonder if there is any team that would step up and give up 2 firsts for him plus pay him, I really do not believe there would be any takers.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The offense (mainly the pass game) has gotten progressively worse every year under Dak despite having the same average time to throw since his rookie year.

according to many here this whole team sucks, Linehan, Moore, Garrett, Jones and yet the same people expect Dak to overcome it all. lol Of course I think all of that is a load of BS to start with but that seems to be the constant around here. As for Dak I think there are things he must improve on but I also know he has made many big plays late in games to help this team win and over the course of 3 full season has never had this team below 500 and helped get to this team to post season 2 of his 1st 3 seasons. In terms of his contract sure it will be big, I don't think it will be Rodgers or Ryan type money but looking at what most QB are getting it will be a substantial amount.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Adjustments/corrections from a few 2018 issues alone are probably worth at least a couple more wins. But like I said in another thread, I doubt we're going that much improvement from Dak waiting another year. I can see a slight bump in most of his stats but for the most part, he is what he is which is not bad at all coz his resume clearly shows he's a winner. Here's where waiting next to do his deal gets tricky. Adjust, correct, fix or whatever you wanna call it, all the issues below and few breaks, this team could very well be in the Super Bowl. Super Bowl with a young QB playing on a contract year. Guess who the biggest benefactor to this will be with only a fraction ( if that) of improvement to his game. His value has now gone from 2019 $25-27M range to 2020 $30-35M.
This is why IMO you get him signed NOW more years the better.....

**FO failed WR by committee decision
**Not decision NOT to replace Witten with a quality TE
**Fredbeard injury
**Cooper and Dak playing with zero training camp reps
**Scott Linehan issues
**Connor Williams issues
**Red zone issues
exactly.
Add WR2 was a rookie who was lost but showed great potential.

InTheZone

Reaction score
according to many here this whole team sucks, Linehan, Moore, Garrett, Jones and yet the same people expect Dak to overcome it all. lol Of course I think all of that is a load of BS to start with but that seems to be the constant around here. As for Dak I think there are things he must improve on but I also know he has made many big plays late in games to help this team win and over the course of 3 full season has never had this team below 500 and helped get to this team to post season 2 of his 1st 3 seasons. In terms of his contract sure it will be big, I don't think it will be Rodgers or Ryan type money but looking at what most QB are getting it will be a substantial amount.
If the pass game has gotten worse every year, and I mean a steady and noticeable drop off, why are we attaching his name to the success of the team like he was one of the major contributors to winning?

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
General rule of thumb is trading a top 12ish QB who is only 25 years old is bad business. Patriots should have traded Brady after his rookie contract for a 1st since he was only a 6th rounder.

Especially if that really doesnt have many limitations.
Wait did you just compare the limitations of Brady as a player to that of Dak?

Yikes, couldn't be me.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Adjustments/corrections from a few 2018 issues alone are probably worth at least a couple more wins. But like I said in another thread, I doubt we're going to see that much improvement from Dak waiting another year.

So if you're "doubting we're going to see that much improvement", why are you panicking about paying him sooner? That's a contradiction.

I can see a slight bump in most of his stats but for the most part, he is what he is which is not bad at all coz his resume clearly shows he's a winner.

Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl too, as did Brad Johnson. That's on their "resumes" as well. But that doesn't mean that they were good, it just means that they were on great teams that carried them.

Here's where waiting next year to do his deal gets tricky. Adjust, correct, fix or whatever you wanna call it, all the issues below and few breaks, this team could very well be in the Super Bowl. Super Bowl with a young QB playing on a contract year. Guess who the biggest benefactor to this will be with only a fraction ( if that) of improvement to his game. His value has now gone from 2019 $25-27M range to 2020 $30-35M.
This is why IMO you get him signed NOW more years the better.....

I'll present the exact opposite reasoning. This team isn't in the Super Bowl, but you rushed to pay the quarterback. Now you're stuck, your coach was fired for not reaching the Super Bowl, and you now need to find a coach willing to sign on to coach a grossly overpaid quarterback. You yourself said "I doubt we're going to see that much improvement from Dak waiting another year."

**FO failed WR by committee decision
**Not decision NOT to replace Witten with a quality TE
**Fredbeard injury
**Cooper and Dak playing with zero training camp reps
**Scott Linehan issues
**Connor Williams issues
**Red zone issues

While I don't deny that all of these played a role, it's also undeniable that the quarterbacking did as well.

basel90

Reaction score
Dak is being stubborn in negotiations it seems , listening to his lawyer agent . Ragher than be a leader and take a reasonable deal . He is a late 4th round pick , cannot beat teams with his arm , dallas has surrounded him with quality talent , what is delaying a positive reaction to Stephan’s request??

visionary

Reaction score
After Stephan comments about Dak needing to sign team friendly deal and Dak on record as saying there will be no discount...an impasse is coming. Rather than get into issue of is Dak good or not, what could Cowboy get in trade if long term deal can't be agreed upon.

Note:
Denver received TWO 1st & 3rd for Jay Cutler
Cincy received 1st & 2nd for Carson Palmer
Eagles received 1st & 4th round pick for Sam Bradford.

If your Stephan, what would you need back in trade?

Note: this is not to get into large debate about if Dallas should or shouldn't do this but merely an exercise in what you think his current trade value is.

There are a lot of rumors in Seattle about trading Wilson

Dak for Wilson

:flagwave:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hopefully they let this play out on Dak's contract and place the Non Exclusve franchise tag on him, I really wonder if there is any team that would step up and give up 2 firsts for him plus pay him, I really do not believe there would be any takers.

That's truly the smartest route to take, certainly if Dak and his agent aren't willing to give a discount for an early deal. The Cowboys have no need to rush into a contract extension, other than worrying about "feelings". And that's something this team worries far too much about already. This is a business, not a social club. And at the end of the day, a team only has so much money available under a salary cap to pay all of its players. You can play around with that cap to some extent, but ultimately it all counts. All of these guys are friends and buddies until it's time to get paid. Then it switches to every man for himself. Funny how that works, huh?

If Prescott wants more than $22 million a year, I'm telling him "fine, let's let this play out". Play for $2 million this year and we'll tag you for $30 million in 2020. Two years at $32 million is far less than two years at $22 million each ($44 million total).

The team gets another year to determine if there is still upside as a passer, and Dak gets another year to prove himself and increase his leverage and asking price. Everybody wins. Except Dak's accountant this year.

Knotamus

Reaction score
The offense (mainly the pass game) has gotten progressively worse every year under Dak despite having the same average time to throw since his rookie year.

It seems to me folks need to figure out who was behind the Offensive struggles.

For several years, people have been complaining ab how vanilla Scott Linehans Offense was and how he was holding our Offense back. Now that he’s gone, I suppose Dak will be the target. Although, stats would suggest that Dak is on par with most young QBs of the past.

Could the offense struggles have anything to do with Linehan play calls, WR talent, deterioration of OL, Zekes suspension, a safety-net TE, etc...?

More facts: Dak statistically played better when he was able to call his own plays. He compares favorably to all QBs in the 4th Q.. see how he compared to Romo.

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/ww...d-tony-romo-is-very-interesting-bill-parcells

I want to see how Dak performs this year without Linehan. Add the fact that Cooper and Dak are forming a chemistry like that of Romo/Dez or Aikman/Irving

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/to...ged-the-call-on-dallas-biggest-touchdown/amp/

“It’s hardly a ringing endorsement of Linehan’s acumen that his top receiver is saying out loud to anyone who will listen that he has to bail one of his coaches out of a schism born of predictability, but the connection between Prescott and Cooper is ertainly a positive mitigating factor.”

ShortRound

Reaction score
How did I miss this thread yesterday. The Dak Contract threads will be epic.

Vj5YnY6.gif

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
That's truly the smartest route to take, certainly if Dak and his agent aren't willing to give a discount for an early deal. The Cowboys have no need to rush into a contract extension, other than worrying about "feelings". And that's something this team worries far too much about already. This is a business, not a social club. And at the end of the day, a team only has so much money available under a salary cap to pay all of its players. You can play around with that cap to some extent, but ultimately it all counts. All of these guys are friends and buddies until it's time to get paid. Then it switches to every man for himself. Funny how that works, huh?

If Prescott wants more than $22 million a year, I'm telling him "fine, let's let this play out". Play for $2 million this year and we'll tag you for $30 million in 2020. Two years at $32 million is far less than two years at $22 million each ($44 million total).

The team gets another year to determine if there is still upside as a passer, and Dak gets another year to prove himself and increase his leverage and asking price. Everybody wins. Except Dak's accountant this year.
you mean like how that worked out so well with DLaw?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

For several years, people have been complaining ab how vanilla Scott Linehans Offense was and how he was holding our Offense back. Now that he’s gone, I suppose Dak will be the target. Although, stats would suggest that Dak is on par with most young QBs of the past.

Could the offense struggles have anything to do with Linehan play calls, WR talent, deterioration of OL, Zekes suspension, a safety-net TE, etc...?

More facts: Dak statistically played better when he was able to call his own plays. He compares favorably to all QBs in the 4th Q.. see how he compared to Romo.

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/ww...d-tony-romo-is-very-interesting-bill-parcells

I want to see how Dak performs this year without Linehan. Add the fact that Cooper and Dak are forming a chemistry like that of Romo/Dez or Aikman/Irving

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/to...ged-the-call-on-dallas-biggest-touchdown/amp/

“It’s hardly a ringing endorsement of Linehan’s acumen that his top receiver is saying out loud to anyone who will listen that he has to bail one of his coaches out of a schism born of predictability, but the connection between Prescott and Cooper is ertainly a positive mitigating factor.”

Like you, I very much want to see how Dak performs this year. It's one more reason why I would choose to wait on a new contract. If he truly excels and earns it, who would have any problem making him among the highest paid quarterbacks in the league?

Go show what you can do and get paid a bundle. Bet on yourself. If Dallas somehow was unable or unwilling to do it, someone else would. Just ask Kirk Cousins. He didn't even have to win a playoff game to get $74 million fully guaranteed. If Dak can win in 2019, he can write his own check in 2020.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Ya know... ok but let’s trade Dak and Elliot. And some of that expensive O-Line also. Roll into this year on Rush or wait a minute let’s trade Rush for a bag of chips and go in with White, people think he is better than Rush anyways. And a backup O-Line. If we trade away some of our Defensive starters then will get some second rounders.

We go into the draft with half the first round picks. Then we trade our first round picks to get more first round picks for the next year.

Then start getting a unproven qb and O-Line and in about 3 or 4 years of draft and FA we can end up right back where we are now...

Is there any qb in this draft that you know is better than Dak.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
you mean like how that worked out so well with DLaw?

Lawrence proved it, so he deserved to get paid. He earned it. And the same would apply to Dak. If he proves it in 2019, his number would be much closer to Aaron Rodgers at the top that it is now. Right now, the quarterback salaries are proving to be cautionary tales of what NOT to do. When none of the top six even MAKE the playoffs, it's a warning sign that teams are doing it wrong.

visionary

Reaction score

Could not disagree more

There may have been other reasons but Dak's limitations are a significant part of the problem

He has also shown an inability to improve on basic deficiencies like setting his feet, stepping up in the pocket . The chances he'll work more on these after getting paid are very small if he hadn't worked on them when major money is on the line

This year we will struggle but then the excuse will be: this is Moore's first year as OC, he needs another year

There will ALWAYS be an excuse for Garrett and Dak