Dallas should rescind the franchise tag and let Dak walk

GroundZero1970

Reaction score
You keep talking about Gallup.....they are going to lose either Gallup or Cooper in 2 years. Has nothing to do with money. One of those guys will want to start and not be apart of a 3 receiver trio.

Stop using Dak's contract as a reason why we can't sign anyone. That is simply not true.
If you read properly the first thing I said is Prescott is not 33 million dollars a year better than Dalton. Period!. Then I spoke about Gallup. What I said is the truth plain and simple. If you dont agree cool, if you have an agenda and thus doesnt fit it cool. Doesnt change the fact that what I posted is true.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
If you read properly the first thing I said is Prescott is not 33 million dollars a year better than Dalton. Period!. Then I spoke about Gallup. What I said is the truth plain and simple. If you dont agree cool, if you have an agenda and thus doesnt fit it cool. Doesnt change the fact that what I posted is true.
I'm not even sure who even said he was 33 million better than Dalton...Dak signed a 32 million dollar franchise tag....Dalton signed contract for 3 million that can be as high as 7 million. What you posted is not only untrue but its irrelevant to the discussion. Cowboys have plenty of cap space. They have all of their main guys tied up and they will eventually have Fredericks contract come off the books.

If you want to bring up Dak that's fine but complaining about his contract stopping us from signing Gallup is not true.

GroundZero1970

Reaction score
40 million which is what Prescott asked for minus the 7 we signed Dalton for equals 33. Here:

40 - 7 = 33
Get it?

FYI Prescott hasnt signed anything. Facts are helpful dude

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
It’s entertaining watching all our resident QB critics jockeying for position on Opie’s nutz.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
40 million which is what Prescott asked for minus the 7 we signed Dalton for equals 33. Here:

40 - 7 = 33
Get it?

FYI Prescott hasnt signed anything. Facts are helpful dude
You are correct. Dak hasn't signed his franchise tag. He has until July 15th. He was offered the 32 million franchise tag from the Cowboys.

It was reported that Dak hadn't asked for 40 million so that's a lie. Get it? Dalton's contract is 3 million guaranteed. He can earn up to 7 million.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Why do fans have to be this dumb??

A few fairly simple points.
1. If DAL rescinds the tag, DAK can sign anywhere for ANY amount.
2. IF a team has Baker Mayfield or Minshew or a guy over 40 as it's franchise QB then it doesn't have a franchise QB.
3. A large signing doesn't mean massive year 1 cap hit.

Let's say the Pats wanted Dak.

30M SB
year 1. 1M salary. 7M cap hit... yea 7M. --for Dak to make what DAL had GTD him with the tag.
incentives for 250K per playoff win.
year 2. 25M roster bonus, 5M salary. 19M cap hit.
flat 35, 37,39M on years 3,4,5.
player option on each of year 3/4/5.

So the Pats or any team really could grab Dak and eat low cap hits for not only this year but well below franchise numbers next as well.

Dak could make 65M or so across 2 seasons then hit free agency again.
Pats extend the window for Belichick and if Dak does not in 2 years they get a R3 comp pick.

In this scenario DAL reward is a R3 comp pick... except they already had 4 comp picks coming so they gain a 3rd and lose a 6th.

---
Andy Dalton is a Dallas area guy who wanted to come back home and finish up his playing career locally.
He's not getting starting job offers and as a low paid back up being close to home as he starts to define his life after football makes sense.
Going to a presumed playoff team also pretty appealing.
McCarthy has stated many times he doesn't want that QB room to be empty.
It's his specialty and he wants it to be well stocked with players.

Flamma

Reaction score
I just want the team to win. With Prescott playing hardball and the needs our team has I think the gap between Prescott and Dalton isnt that huge and the money saved could benefit the whole team and getting Ngakwoue (sp) would make our defense a force. Plus we wouldnt lose Gallup in 2 years.

I understand the money part. But I would be very concerned if the Cowboys went into the season with Andy Dalton under center. Dalton is probably a step above the guys we brought in to replace Romo in 2015. Where's John Kitna when we need him?

Jerry waited this long. Might as well wait another year and let Dak play under the tag. But that's taking a risk. But hey, it's not my money. I'm going to hope for the best. Don't get too comfortable in that yacht, Jerry.

GroundZero1970

Reaction score
You are correct. Dak hasn't signed his franchise tag. He has until July 15th. He was offered the 32 million franchise tag from the Cowboys.

It was reported that Dak hadn't asked for 40 million so that's a lie. Get it? Dalton's contract is 3 million guaranteed. He can earn up to 7 million.
Its been reported both ways on the 40 million. I have read both so lets look a hard data. Franchise tag 32 million Dalton contact 7 mil with all incentives. So I ask you was Daks play last year worth 25 million more? In my opinion it was not. Not trying to be a jerk but I just think the money could be better spent elsewhere.

Qcard

Reaction score

2. IF a team has Baker Mayfield or Minshew or a guy over 40 as it's franchise QB then it doesn't have a franchise QB.

30M SB
year 1. 1M salary. 7M cap hit... yea 7M. --for Dak to make what DAL had GTD him with the tag.

So the Pats or any team really could grab Dak and eat low cap hits for not only this year but well below franchise numbers next as well.

Pats extend the window for Belichick and if Dak does not in 2 years they get a R3 comp pick.

In this scenario DAL reward is a R3 comp pick... except they already had 4 comp picks coming so they gain a 3rd and lose a 6th.

---
Andy Dalton is a Dallas area guy who wanted to come back home and finish up his playing career locally.
He's not getting starting job offers and as a low paid back up being close to home as he starts to define his life after football makes sense.
Great Post....

I am waiting for the mass hysteria to calm down.

Dak Haters and Wentz lovers are conjuring up their wildest dreams based on a $7M backup QB.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Its been reported both ways on the 40 million. I have read both so lets look a hard data. Franchise tag 32 million Dalton contact 7 mil with all incentives. So I ask you was Daks play last year worth 25 million more? In my opinion it was not. Not trying to be a jerk but I just think the money could be better spent elsewhere.
That's fine. You're entitled to that. I think a franchise quarterback is important and I do think Dak is 25 million more better than Dalton. Based on their last 4 years in the league? I'd say that.

csirl

Reaction score

30M SB

---

No chance BB signs Dak as a starter for any money. If he did, it would soon look like NEs success was 100% Brady.

Big_D

Reaction score
Cowboys certainly shouldn't balk at his demands. If he doesn't want the tag, he can sit.