Dallas should rescind the franchise tag and let Dak walk

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Why do fans have to be this dumb??

A few fairly simple points.
1. If DAL rescinds the tag, DAK can sign anywhere for ANY amount.
2. IF a team has Baker Mayfield or Minshew or a guy over 40 as it's franchise QB then it doesn't have a franchise QB.
3. A large signing doesn't mean massive year 1 cap hit.

Let's say the Pats wanted Dak.

30M SB
year 1. 1M salary. 7M cap hit... yea 7M. --for Dak to make what DAL had GTD him with the tag.
incentives for 250K per playoff win.
year 2. 25M roster bonus, 5M salary. 19M cap hit.
flat 35, 37,39M on years 3,4,5.
player option on each of year 3/4/5.

So the Pats or any team really could grab Dak and eat low cap hits for not only this year but well below franchise numbers next as well.

Dak could make 65M or so across 2 seasons then hit free agency again.
Pats extend the window for Belichick and if Dak does not in 2 years they get a R3 comp pick.

In this scenario DAL reward is a R3 comp pick... except they already had 4 comp picks coming so they gain a 3rd and lose a 6th.

---
Andy Dalton is a Dallas area guy who wanted to come back home and finish up his playing career locally.
He's not getting starting job offers and as a low paid back up being close to home as he starts to define his life after football makes sense.
Going to a presumed playoff team also pretty appealing.
McCarthy has stated many times he doesn't want that QB room to be empty.
It's his specialty and he wants it to be well stocked with players.
I dont think we get a comp pick if we rescind....

LittleD

Reaction score
66% career completion percentage, 3:1 TD to INT ratio, 40-24 record, and a playoff win in 4 seasons and we are wanting to toss him to the curb? HAHAHA.

Yes, resend his tag and let him test the market. He is a coach killer so let him ruin the Las Vegas Raiders before he wastes Jerry's money and another year of our stable of offensive talent.

32BellyOption

Reaction score
Yes, resend his tag and let him test the market. He is a coach killer so let him ruin the Las Vegas Raiders before he wastes Jerry's money and another year of our stable of offensive talent.

A coach killer? Lol! You’re saying he’s the reason Garrett sucked? Mmmmkay.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
This thread is amazing. Yeah let him walk. We'll go with Rush or that Italian lasagna eating mobster DiNucci. The silver lining is we'll get a top 5 pick in the 2021 draft.
I like Lasagna.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I dont think we get a comp pick if we rescind....
you are almost certainly correct.
it is after the date for FA signings to count against you in comp projections so also likely to no count for you.
but even if it did, a max net gain would be of bumping an r6 to r3.
for losing a franchise QB.
that'd be stupider than Philly not getting a trade for Foles.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
No chance BB signs Dak as a starter for any money. If he did, it would soon look like NEs success was 100% Brady.
If you want to make stupid statements please refrain from doing so in replies to me.

Stidham is not in Dak's league as a QB. I'd know as I followed his Texas school boy career long before he bounced from Baylor to Auburn.

JoaquinFenix

Reaction score
Why do fans have to be this dumb??

A few fairly simple points.
1. If DAL rescinds the tag, DAK can sign anywhere for ANY amount.
2. IF a team has Baker Mayfield or Minshew or a guy over 40 as it's franchise QB then it doesn't have a franchise QB.
3. A large signing doesn't mean massive year 1 cap hit.

Let's say the Pats wanted Dak.

30M SB
year 1. 1M salary. 7M cap hit... yea 7M. --for Dak to make what DAL had GTD him with the tag.
incentives for 250K per playoff win.
year 2. 25M roster bonus, 5M salary. 19M cap hit.
flat 35, 37,39M on years 3,4,5.
player option on each of year 3/4/5.

So the Pats or any team really could grab Dak and eat low cap hits for not only this year but well below franchise numbers next as well.

Dak could make 65M or so across 2 seasons then hit free agency again.
Pats extend the window for Belichick and if Dak does not in 2 years they get a R3 comp pick.

In this scenario DAL reward is a R3 comp pick... except they already had 4 comp picks coming so they gain a 3rd and lose a 6th.

---
Andy Dalton is a Dallas area guy who wanted to come back home and finish up his playing career locally.
He's not getting starting job offers and as a low paid back up being close to home as he starts to define his life after football makes sense.
Going to a presumed playoff team also pretty appealing.
McCarthy has stated many times he doesn't want that QB room to be empty.
It's his specialty and he wants it to be well stocked with players.
It appears you should be very careful who you're calling "dumb." Pot, meet kettle. A few fairly simple rebuttal points:
  • If the tag is rescinded, of course Prescott could sign anywhere for any amount. Duh. That's the nature of free agency, and I didn't say otherwise.
  • You misunderstand how franchise QB is being used in this exercise. Mayfield, the former #1 overall pick on a rookie deal, is not being jettisoned after two years in favor of signing Prescott to a mega-deal. As for Minshew, the Jaguars are one of the two teams that I identified as potential suitors, so your point fails.
  • I agree that the first year cap hit will be less than the contract average annual value, but your math is really, really bad. In your Patriots hypothetical, it is impossible for Prescott to earn $65M in two years with cap hits of $7M in year 1 and $19M in year 2 without an ASTRONOMICAL and totally unrealistic dead money charge. Laughable example.
I'm still waiting for a well-reasoned rebuttal to my original post but won't hold my breath.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
A coach killer? Lol! You’re saying he’s the reason Garrett sucked? Mmmmkay.
There ya go with the black or white, either or.. narrative.
Maybe they both sucked. Well Garrett sucked, so let me back up,, I don't think Dak sucks, but he is closer to that than he is good.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
you are almost certainly correct.
it is after the date for FA signings to count against you in comp projections so also likely to no count for you.
but even if it did, a max net gain would be of bumping an r6 to r3.
for losing a franchise QB.
that'd be stupider than Philly not getting a trade for Foles.
Couldnt agree more.
Rescinding the tag on your franchise qb(and I'm not dak fan boy, just ask @Irvin88_4life ) is moronic in so many ways its laughable.
It's not happening, Dalton is a great backup option for injury and if he leaves next year we get a comp pick.
Thats another reason I'd look at everson griffen on a one year deal....

csirl

Reaction score
If you want to make stupid statements please refrain from doing so in replies to me.

Stidham is not in Dak's league as a QB. I'd know as I followed his Texas school boy career long before he bounced from Baylor to Auburn.

:lmao:

New England isnt going with Stidham. I strongly suspect they are following a specific strategy centred around their assessment of how much football will be played this year.

If Dak did go to New England, would you start following the Pats?

32BellyOption

Reaction score
There ya go with the black or white, either or.. narrative.
Maybe they both sucked. Well Garrett sucked, so let me back up,, I don't think Dak sucks, but he is closer to that than he is good.

I don’t think Dak is elite but I also think Dak is a guy you can build a team around and win championships with. I’m looking forward to seeing his growth under a real head coach and teacher. And seeing his skill set better utilized.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score

New England isnt going with Stidham. I strongly suspect they are following a specific strategy centred around their assessment of how much football will be played this year.

It wouldn't surprise me if Bill has contacted Jerry a few times in regards to Dak.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Couldnt agree more.
Rescinding the tag on your franchise qb(and I'm not dak fan boy, just ask @Irvin88_4life ) is moronic in so many ways its laughable.
It's not happening, Dalton is a great backup option for injury and if he leaves next year we get a comp pick.
Thats another reason I'd look at everson griffen on a one year deal....
I agree with you on the QBs. Let Dak and Dalton do their thing this year and see next year what to do. As far as Griffen, I would love to have him on the team. I think this team would be set across the board with no weak spots and plenty of depth if that were to happen

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
It appears you should be very careful who you're calling "dumb." Pot, meet kettle. A few fairly simple rebuttal points:
  • If the tag is rescinded, of course Prescott could sign anywhere for any amount. Duh. That's the nature of free agency, and I didn't say otherwise.
  • You misunderstand how franchise QB is being used in this exercise. Mayfield, the former #1 overall pick on a rookie deal, is not being jettisoned after two years in favor of signing Prescott to a mega-deal. As for Minshew, the Jaguars are one of the two teams that I identified as potential suitors, so your point fails.
  • I agree that the first year cap hit will be less than the contract average annual value, but your math is really, really bad. In your Patriots hypothetical, it is impossible for Prescott to earn $65M in two years with cap hits of $7M in year 1 and $19M in year 2 without an ASTRONOMICAL and totally unrealistic dead money charge. Laughable example.
I'm still waiting for a well-reasoned rebuttal to my original post but won't hold my breath.
You posted something quite dumb then doubled down... shocking... lol.

If the year 1 cap hit can be as small as 6-7M yet return 31M for Dak, the fact teams lack large cap space is POINTLESS.
I could dare less what you call "franchise" as it is means ZERO to the reality of the situation.

Posting stupid things then getting butt hurt when it is pointed out how obviously bad they are gets you placed on ignore.

But to be clear here as your min seems incapable of complex thoughts:
Dak could be signed to a large number of teams and would be signed without doubt to a very rich deal with NO compensation to Dallas were his tag rescinded.

Only the stupidest of all stupids would suggest this.
Stay off meth.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

No, I would not.
I would however be irate with this team for being idiotic and handing BB another title or two.

csirl

Reaction score
Dalton has reset the market for a meh starting QB - $7m per annum. Dak should take note.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
This thread is amazing. Yeah let him walk. We'll go with Rush or that Italian lasagna eating mobster DiNucci. The silver lining is we'll get a top 5 pick in the 2021 draft.
You know what I say … "Tank for Trevor!"