Dalton is an upgrade over Dak eh?

thechosen1n2

Reaction score
We're not talking about most cases. We're talking about this case, here in Dallas. I mean, everybody understands that in most cases or places, scoring 32 should win you a ball game but not here. We have a QB who seems to require a massive amount of talent in order to score 32 points per game. You don't see the correlation there? If it takes all of this cap to allow this offense to be potent and you still got to pay out a 40 mil deal then you are doing it wrong. We don't need 32 points a game, to be honest. I believe the average in the NFL is like 25 points per team, per contest right now. We need a guy who can put up 27 and we need a Defense who can hold other teams to 25. That's what we need. We don't need a 32 point offense and a defense that is giving up 34.

Getting rid of your QB may not make your Defense better but if your QB isn't going to win you games and still demand some kind of record deal, then what does it matter? It's time to tear it up and start over. So here's the question for you. If you have a QB who scores 32 points a game, if you have that guy and you still can't win then does paying him a record deal fix the problem and how exactly does it allow you to improve when you are spending such a large percentage of your cap on just one position?

I don't care how much the QB averages. If he can't get the W, regardless, then it doesn't mean a thing.

We say massive amount of talent. Zeke has been eeehhhh the past 2 years. Amari gets paid like the a typical # 1. The Oline has been injury riddled, we have a mediocre tight end.

What massive talent are you referring to?
Spoken like JJ.....score points and HOPE the Defense holds up....scoring 35 pts is useless if teams are scoring 40pts.

Try looking at the issue holistically rather than "Dak, Dak, Dak",what I think @ABQCOWBOY is saying is that if we cant get Dak for a deal that allows us to improve the Defense and other holes in the team there is no point paying him to play in a team that isnt going to compete.

Looking at the CAP (and yes it does have an effect) if he doesnt sign a 5 year deal that frees up CAP space in 2021 and 2022 we move on a build a team.

News for you - this may mean:
1) Accepting we wont be competing in possibly the next 3 years
2) It doesnt necessarily matter who we play at QB, as we wont be competing
3) We may use our probable top 5 draft pick on a QB or we not ......we are looking to IMPROVE THE TEAM NOT NECESSARILY QB.
4) We may use someone off the street to play QB - as we improve the team in general.

First thing. I like Dak but Im not some huge Dak fan. I think hes a top 7 QB and a top 3 to 4 to start a franchise
Maholmes, Wilson, Dak and Allen) when you consider age and everything.

2. I said no such thing about score points and play no defense. I only said that Not paying Dak does not ensure us good defense, because it also takes coaching and chemistry.
3. To be a winning team in this NFL a capable QB is also necessary.
4. It will not take a total rehaul to rebuild the O line. Collins, Mart, Biediaz, Looney, Knight, Williams, Smith (2 years and draft a replacement this year)
5. I believe in Defense. I was against any receiver including CeeDee whom I like on my draft board was begging for Kinlaw or Chaisson with Winfield in the second. I would have been fine with Duvernay in the 3rd or 4th.
6. This years draft needs to be ALLL about defense... Linebacker, CB, Safety, first and foremost. Lawrence isnt going anywhere and though hes not living up to his contract hes not bad. Actually does more than his stats show. Gregory is going to be cheap. Smith can be resigned cheap at least 1 more year. They are both servicable. Triston Hill was showing improvements. Diggs has shown signs. Tere is the ability to build a top 8 to 15 defense without blowing up everything.
7. My question to yall is how does signing Dak stop any of this, unless you plan is to spend alot of money in free agency signings, and whats your plan at QB. Hope that you are the #1 pick and draft trevor lawrence (whom I like), but there are no guarantees.
8. If you disagree (which you likely will) please spell out your plan. Not sarcastically. I genuinely interested in your approach.

thechosen1n2

Reaction score
That whole post is a typical fan's "back of a *** packet" analysis, sounds easy but isnt financially viable (eg: trade Amari and bring back Aldon Smith).

The highlighted flaw (one of many in that post) is, Lamb was a NFL ready pick (as a lot of first rounders are), second round Diggs isnt going to be a decent CB for at least more 2 years.....drafts take time to produce.

We are going to need to supplement in FAgency and as teams like Saints/Eagles will need to shed contracts in 2021 we should be picking up players that they cut.

2021 wlll give a unique opportunity to pick up decent players - you'll get more for your money as so many teams will be "CAP poor".

It all starts with what Dak will accept. If he insists on 3 years at market rate will mean we wont be be able to do anything substantial in addressing the league worse Defense and O-Line depth.

You answered some of my questions from my post i just posted. I dont think Aldon will be that expensive because he hasnt done a whole lot. I am speculating though. Im saying dont worry about signing Gallup, so trade him. If you insist on gallup, trade Amari, because his deal is really a 2 year 40 million dollar deal. So when I bring back Aldon, or trade Amari, Im not looking at deals that only can get approved by Madden. Keep in mind people offered more than Dallas for Amari.

I now see your plan is to sign really good free agents. My plan is based on the fact that I just dont see Stephen doing that. Do I agree. NO I DONT. but how long has it been that they have signed a difference making free agent.

For the record I do not support or agree if Dak does this as some posters are saying:

If I Am Dak, My Price Just Went Up To $45 A Year,
Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Beast_from_East, Sunday at 3:30 PM.

Watch Thread
Page 1 of 8
1234568Next >
Go to First Unread

1. Beast_from_EastWell-Known Member
    26,986 messages
    22,895 likes received
    New
    Average points per game with Dak............36

Average points per game without Dak.......6.5

This team is not even competitive without Dak, scoring 30 points per game less. Let me repeat that, we are scoring 30 POINTS PER GAME LESS!

Dak and his agent be like..............

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Well at least if the Cowboys decide to "clean house" they won't have to cut a lot of players, and hurt the cap, so many players are free agents after this season, don't resign them, doesn't cost you a penny...

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
You answered some of my questions from my post i just posted. I dont think Aldon will be that expensive because he hasnt done a whole lot. I am speculating though. Im saying dont worry about signing Gallup, so trade him. If you insist on gallup, trade Amari, because his deal is really a 2 year 40 million dollar deal. So when I bring back Aldon, or trade Amari, Im not looking at deals that only can get approved by Madden. Keep in mind people offered more than Dallas for Amari.

I now see your plan is to sign really good free agents. My plan is based on the fact that I just dont see Stephen doing that. Do I agree. NO I DONT. but how long has it been that they have signed a difference making free agent.

For the record I do not support or agree if Dak does this as some posters are saying:

If I Am Dak, My Price Just Went Up To $45 A Year,
Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Beast_from_East, Sunday at 3:30 PM.

Watch Thread
Page 1 of 8
1234568Next >
Go to First Unread

1. Beast_from_EastWell-Known Member
    26,986 messages
    22,895 likes received
    New
    Average points per game with Dak............36

Average points per game without Dak.......6.5

This team is not even competitive without Dak, scoring 30 points per game less. Let me repeat that, we are scoring 30 POINTS PER GAME LESS!

Dak and his agent be like..............

Well, if you are Dak and your price has gone up to 45, then I'm wishing you luck and drafting a QB in the next Draft.

thechosen1n2

Reaction score
Well, if you are Dak and your price has gone up to 45, then I'm wishing you luck and drafting a QB in the next Draft.

That we agree on bro.....Im not doing that either, and I dont agree with people who thinks he should do that to prove a point.. I TOTALLY disagree with that thread.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
That we agree on bro.....Im not doing that either, and I dont agree with people who thinks he should do that to prove a point.. I TOTALLY disagree with that thread.

That's the thing that kinda gets lost, I think, about this entire discussion. Being against paying that much is not about not wanting Dak to be successful or even not liking him. It's about looking on a car lot and seeing a fully loaded truck that you would love to have and then looking at your bank account and understanding that you can't afford a brand new truck. So you go out and you find a cheaper truck, maybe not as nice, not as good etc.

If I can justify the brand new price based on the value it's bringing me, I.E., a new truck is saving my business money, then OK, spend that money because it will come back to you. If it's just because I like the truck and it's costing me money, then sorry, can't afford you darling.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
There you go thinking for me again.. Since you know how smart I think l am.. how smart do I think I am?

I stopped at 10 because that was the question.. I could easily have found 10 more but the refrain would have been the same .. "It was only X out of Y.." The point is all of them were VERY wrong.. both in how little credit they gave Dak and in how much they overrated Dalton. And because of how authoritatively they espoused these erroneous opinions and how derisive they were of those who posited the opposite view, I think they need to be reminded of it from time to time.
My point dullard is relative to the amount of people on this site the percentage of folks saying what you're saying is small as ever. If your need validation because you're not used to being right ok you were correct for once because apparently it doesn't happen often. Like I said I understand your type you don't win a lot so when you do you have to let everybody know. Maybe one day you'll understand how the consistent winners roll and just take your W like its nothing.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Much as I have said we should keep Dak, the injury has altered things significantly. RGIII is a good example, hurt the ankle then after he got back hurt a knee, didn't he?

An NFL player's body has to be all in sync to be at the highest ability it can be. Not that some people like AP can't have a significant injury and come back and play great, but overall an injury like Dak's leaves long term effects, mentally or how much he runs at the least.

The injury puts his long term potential at some risk. I'd still go the same contract offered as before, but no more, and I hope Jerry/Stephen brings that up in his negotiations. Dak, if he gets offers from other teams for more, will probably have to sign a contract that contains outs for the team if the injury causes him to lose some part of his ability, and if he does get hurt he can lose more money than he'd gain by not taking the Dallas offer, assuming Dallas doesn't also include the injury provision, not saying they won't.

All this is of course predicated on a full and complete recovery, I'm talking about down the road problems that could be linked to the ankle/leg injury...