Dalton Schultz TE Tidbit

Torturedcowboysfan

Reaction score
Not a ringing endorsement on his production, but their reasoning sounds believable. Blocking seems to be the primary skillset required to be a Cowboy TE.
That's a philosophy thing with this staff. I wouldn't be mad at a new more creative passing game.
Think about this. James Hanna ran 4.49 and they never utilized him as a receiver. He was the 2nd best blocking te and they still didn't use his speed. 4.49 is faster than every receiver we've drafted in 10 years.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
That's a philosophy thing with this staff. I wouldn't be mad at a new more creative passing game.
Think about this. James Hanna ran 4.49 and they never utilized him as a receiver. He was the 2nd best blocking te and they still didn't use his speed. 4.49 is faster than every receiver we've drafted in 10 years.

I think anyone here who actually watched the kid play knows he could develop into a great receiver and is already a good one. Honestly, the biggest question is will this team and coaching staff put him in positions to grow as a player.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I agree, and, like I said on another thread, I am of the hope that Witten will stick around for one more year. I'd like to see what Schultz becomes with a year under Witten's tutelage.
He'll only get from Witten the bantering that Martellus Bennett got from Witten... "high and tight". Witten has never been a hands on mentor to this TE room. Maybe that's how he keeps his job security while declining in performance every year. Witten can be a good example off the field but he's not going out of his way for any "tutelage", he never has.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
He'll only get from Witten the bantering that Martellus Bennett got from Witten... "high and tight". Witten has never been a hands on mentor to this TE room. Maybe that's how he keeps his job security while declining in performance every year. Witten can be a good example off the field but he's not going out of his way for any "tutelage", he never has.

Maybe not by verbal tutelage, but Schultz is a smart person. I think he'd be able to mold what he sees from Witten into his own game. Plus, I'm not so sure that Bennett is the most accurate person to take information about people from.

cowboyec

Reaction score
I say that because I think Schultz will be a fine tight end for us. However, there's no better TE tutor in the league right now than Witten. If Witten decides to stick around for another season, Schultz couldn't be coming into a better situation.
really excited about Schultz...perfect fit.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Maybe not by verbal tutelage, but Schultz is a smart person. I think he'd be able to mold what he sees from Witten into his own game. Plus, I'm not so sure that Bennett is the most accurate person to take information about people from.
I'm by no means a Bennett bros fan, but Marty B did manage to make the pro bowl after he got away from Witten's "tutelage".

roughneck266

Reaction score
I agree, and, like I said on another thread, I am of the hope that Witten will stick around for one more year. I'd like to see what Schultz becomes with a year under Witten's tutelage.
If they can work that out, it will definitely be best for the team. Not so sure it's best for #82, though. Pretty sweet gig he's been offered.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I'm by no means a Bennett bros fan, but Marty B did manage to make the pro bowl after he got away from Witten's "tutelage".

True enough about that part. Still, I think Witten and Schultz could create quite the chemistry.

If they can work that out, it will definitely be best for the team. Not so sure it's best for #82, though. Pretty sweet gig he's been offered.

oh, no doubt. If he decides to retire and go into the broadcast booth, I think Schultz would be fine. I was just saying that Schultz would benefit greatly from one more year with Witten.

Torturedcowboysfan

Reaction score
I personally would like Rico to get a shot this year. His preseason play is more valuable than anything the other TEs have shown. I value preseason over college games. He played good in more than one game. He caught tight coverage passes and showed strong hands. Plus, he SCORED. He's also as big as some O-lineman. Give him a fair chance.