Dalton Schultz TE Tidbit

jrumann59

Reaction score
Oh that's right. Bennett did say something about Witten... "Witten didn't talk to me when I was in Dallas. He didn't help me," Martellus Bennett said on the program. "Very rarely did we talk. He didn't teach me nothing. He didn't help me out. There was times I asked him stuff and he'd be like, 'Figure it out.' I hated him. I hated Witten."
I give Witten a pass on that he had been in the league 5 years and probably felt a little threatened that Jerry drafted a guy that high in his same position.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I give Witten a pass on that he had been in the league 5 years and probably felt a little threatened that Jerry drafted a guy that high in his same position.
2007 was Witten's 5th season. Witten had a brand new contract by the time Bennett got there in 2008. There was no need to be threatened by a draft pick. Witten didn't just not ever help Bennett, he's never been a hands on mentor to any TE on the roster.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
I agree, and, like I said on another thread, I am of the hope that Witten will stick around for one more year. I'd like to see what Schultz becomes with a year under Witten's tutelage.
Everyone assumes that Witten would be willing to be in that role. He hasn't been that guy for any other TE we drafted, why would he be now.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Oh that's right. Bennett did say something about Witten... "Witten didn't talk to me when I was in Dallas. He didn't help me," Martellus Bennett said on the program. "Very rarely did we talk. He didn't teach me nothing. He didn't help me out. There was times I asked him stuff and he'd be like, 'Figure it out.' I hated him. I hated Witten."
Which makes it even more crazy that the staff pushed him to be Witten.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It wasn’t Witten’s job to teach an ***-hat like Marcellus Bennet how to play football. They’re players, not coaches.

I didn’t love the Schulz pick, but he’s exactly the type of player I expected the team to add. He’s more Hanna’s replacement than he is Witten’s.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
And I suppose Bennett has helped other tight ends in Chicago, etc.?

Betcha not...
Irrelevant to the discussion. Bennett was the rookie. If your incredibly assumptive suggestion is true, which you made mostly because you don't like Bennett, then for all we know if he doesn't help TEs below him on the roster it could be a learned behavior because Witten the "role model" showed him that's how you are supposed to do it.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
It wasn’t Witten’s job to teach an ***-hat like Marcellus Bennet how to play football. They’re players, not coaches.

I didn’t love the Schulz pick, but he’s exactly the type of player I expected the team to add. He’s more Hanna’s replacement than he is Witten’s.
It's not Witten's job to teach Schulz anything either. With Witten gone, Schultz has a greater chance to contribute.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's not Witten's job to teach Schulz anything either. With Witten gone, Schultz has a greater chance to contribute.

Yeah. I agree with you: the snaps are more valuable than the time with Wit would have been.

I still think Jarwin ends up being the guy this year.

DanA

Reaction score
Took a closer look at Shultz. He doesn't do a lot of catching a lot of passes but when a run is bounced outside he's exceptional at sustaining blocks.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Took a closer look at Shultz. He doesn't do a lot of catching a lot of passes but when a run is bounced outside he's exceptional at sustaining blocks.
Exactly right. He was drafted for Zeke's benefit more than to replace Wit's catching ability.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Johnathan Martin
Was not there under the current staff. Harbaugh then Shaw guys have been pretty much excellent pros largely because they run pro systems and set pro-like expectations for professionalism.

Plankton

Reaction score
Schultz was my favorite selection by the Cowboys in this draft, and was a pet cat of mine long before the selection. I love his size, competitiveness, blocking ability and his underutilized pass catching ability. He's the type of guy who ends up playing for 8-10 years as a very solid contributor, and with his blocking ability, he fits exactly what the Cowboys want in their tight ends. Can't wait to see him in action - I think a lot of people will be pleasantly surprised by how good he becomes. David Shaw said that he's the most complete TE that Stanford has had in his time there - this overlaps the tenures of Coby Fleener, Zach Ertz, Levine Toilolo and Austin Hooper, all of whom have been solid players in the NFL.

LittleD

Reaction score
If this makes anyone feel better about him, he runs 4.74. That happens to be faster than , GATEs, Gronk, Witten, Jordan Reed, and Tony Gonzales. They all ran 4.8

Shultz is almost a Witten clone. Yes, he's not a burner but, he has mad blocking skills as he started out on the OL. He can catch well
if you review his videos and tapes. He is going to be a find and will certainly progress this season if he can be successful blocking down
and running the seam. The FO really like Blake Jarwin too.

Ring Leader

Reaction score

I'd say that Bennett was dumber than a box of rocks, but that would be an insult to the rocks.