Dalton throws for 300+ yds: fans say keep him. Dak threw for 450+ yds 3 times, fans say cut him?

John813

Reaction score
I'm not in that camp but I would venture to say a vast majority don't want Dak due to his potential deal.
And then there's the few that just don't like him as a QB.

foofighters

Reaction score
Crazy times we are living in. :facepalm:
Dalton allows for you to build a team around. Dak may not given how much he wants. We have a lot of holes to fill. I honestly don't care either way because no matter who the QB is, Jerry is still the GM and that's the real problem.

Also, I also remember a certain member (with the Initials of AC) that would argue that stats are for losers back in the Romo days. Now we freely are throwing out stats?

Interesting. Interesting, indeed...

Cmac

Reaction score
This is heading in the wrong direction.....even a broken clock is right, twice a day. Slow down.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Dalton allows for you to build a team around. Dak may not given how much he wants. We have a lot of holes to fill. I honestly don't care either way because no matter who the QB is, Jerry is still the GM and that's the real problem.

Also, I also remember a certain member (with the Initials of AC) that would argue that stats are for losers back in the Romo days. Now we freely are throwing out stats?

The difference: Romo was a CHOKER (as time proved to be true...I warned y'all). Dak is not.

Romo went Hollywood after his first year as a starter in 2006. Dak did not.

That's the difference you guys up till today refuse to understand.

One QB LIVES FOOTBALL 24/7. The other one didn't. Clear as day.

nobody

Reaction score
So how much do you pay Dak to keep him?

It's a tough call... If you look at the starting salaries of all QB's that won a SB in a given year, you don't see them making more than 13% of the cap. The rest of the team needs talent too...which requires money. So the more you pay the QB the less talent you have elsewhere. Given that the cap is likely to DROP, how much is Dak worth? He certainly is a good QB...but how good? Does he elevate the team around him. A simple look at the W/L column the past couple of years is a good answer. Is he worth 20% of the cap given the reduction in talent it will precipitate elsewhere? How did the team do with him NOT making 20% of the cap?

Then again, he IS very good and getting better. Aside from proven QB's who have led their teams to SB's and DO elevate their team (like Mahomes), does -any- QB deserve 35+ million with a likely impending salary cap drop?

If they can secure him for 5 years at 35 per year, he's probably worth it. If he wants less time for a bonus payday later, maybe not.

aikemirv

Reaction score
So how much do you pay Dak to keep him?
I guess the question is can you have a competitive team if you pay him 35-40 million. I don't believe you can. We don't really have a competitive team right now on defense and the tag of 30 mill for a QB is part of that. That and wasting money on Jaylon and Crawford and not to mention guys like Demarcus who, while he rushes the passer really well forgets that he needs to contain the edge on EVERY play as well.

So if you plan on making perfect decisions at every other position then you can win paying Dak 35 million. I don't think Dak can carry that salary cap weight onto the field and make the difference you lose at other positions.

However, paying Dalton10-15 million, you could probably seal up that D if you make decent decisions.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score

Well we don't know if Dalton will even be here to "build around", and even if he is here, we don't know that he'd accept a real team friendly salary, or that Dak will still be pushing for the supposed $40 mil a year, after the injury.

Lots of uncertainties....

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I guess the question is can you have a competitive team if you pay him 35-40 million. I don't believe you can. We don't really have a competitive team right now on defense and the tag of 30 mill for a QB is part of that. That and wasting money on Jaylon and Crawford and not to mention guys like Demarcus who, while he rushes the passer really well forgets that he needs to contain the edge on EVERY play as well.

So if you plan on making perfect decisions at every other position then you can win paying Dak 35 million. I don't think Dak can carry that salary cap weight onto the field and make the difference you lose at other positions.

However, paying Dalton10-15 million, you could probably seal up that D if you make decent decisions.
You need a QB that can play at a high level. We have one.