Dan Campbell Needs to be fired

Big_D

Reaction score
He completely blew that game. Didn’t help that they fell apart but the coaching was horrendous. I feel even worse for Lions fans, that was a legit shot, but you knew Cambells coaching would kill them at some point. It was pathetic.

Big_D

Reaction score
He took a franchise that has been horrific and in 3 years had them in the NFC title game.

A couple of iffy calls on 4th down don’t change that.
Iffy? lol It does when you should be in the Super Bowl but instead stupid coaching decisions have you sitting home.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Fired? Nah. He's did good for them. Super Bowl era, this might be the worst franchise outside of the Texans. He took them from 3 wins to the NFCCG and a whole new culture.

But, this can get away from him if he's not careful. They are no longer the lovable loser. There are now expectations there. You can only have this act for so long before it wears thin. Look at the Eagles. Siriani was the talk of the town last year. He was just like Campbell in how aggressive he was. Both have brass personalities. Players can lose faith in you after awhile if you don't reel it in a little.

We all knew Campbell would make some boneheaded decisions when it mattered most. We saw it first hand the next to last game of the season.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Iffy? lol It does when you should be in the Super Bowl but instead stupid coaching decisions have you sitting home.
Yes iffy. If the Lions players execute and convert those 4th downs. We aren’t talking about this.

kidd_91

Reaction score
I kinda feel his mistake was going for the FG at the end of the first half. You had chance to really step on the 49ers and let them into the half knowing the Lions were unsure of themselves. They got to this point being aggressive, why stop then?

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Just shows you can be a great coach on Monday-Saturday but when it's game time, if you're not good at managing situations on the sidelines then you'll still end up with the loss. The truly great coaches can excel at both. Maybe Campbell can learn from this but if he doesn't, this will be a stain on his resume that gets brought up in future years if the Lions underachieve, regardless of all the good things he has done (just like Dan Quinn choking away a Super Bowl in Atlanta)

DFWJC

Reaction score
So possibly the coach of the year should be fired?

Only in the low IQ football fan world who knee-jerks themselves to sleep every night

CowboysFilmStudy

Reaction score
Is Dan Campbell a meathead? Yes. Should be be fired? Absolutely not. First time in my life I witnessed the Lions in the NFC Championship game. He made some dumb decisions but let’s not forget the dumpster fire they were before he got there.

Big_D

Reaction score
Yes iffy. If the Lions players execute and convert those 4th downs. We aren’t talking about this.

You can't make stupid calls like that against the #1 seed on the road. He killed any chance they had by taking points off the board a few times. It's not a consolation prize to make a championship game when stupidity is the reason you're not in the Super Bowl. He's done it on a number of occasions. It's one thing to lose but it's another to choke and give it away. Look like a completely different team in the second half then you did in the first. His rah rah style of coaching and thinking he's just going to impose his will, will do nothing but kill them every year when playing smarter coaches who know better than to shoot themselves in the foot every chance they get. I don't really care.. it's the Lions, but it sure would've been nice to see the Niners go down at home. And they blew it in grand fashion.

RonWashington

Reaction score
If I have this right the FG was between 45-47 yards not exactly a gimme . On the other hand the kick would have tied the game and yes you have to kick it . If it was 35-37 yards out would that have changed his mind ?

If you remember the Cowboy game even after the ineligible receiver knocked the 2 point conversion back by penalty he still went for 2 . I think what also factored into Campbell’s decision is his kicker Badgley not exactly the greatest . Still you got to go for the tie I’m sorry Campbell over thought this .

Fire a guy who took a garbage franchise to NFCCG that’s absurd .

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Do I think he should have kicked the FG’s? Yes I do.

But the lions also dropped a bunch of balls that would have extended drives and they had the fumble deep in their own territory and the completely botched punt coverage that turned into a touchback.

The execution by the players was worse than those decisions.

He ain’t getting fired nor should he be.
Isn't the coach supposed to teach the players to execute?

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
You can't make stupid calls like that against the #1 seed on the road. He killed any chance they had by taking points off the board a few times. It's not a consolation prize to make a championship game when stupidity is the reason you're not in the Super Bowl. He's done it on a number of occasions. It's one thing to lose but it's another to choke and give it away. Look like a completely different team in the second half then you did in the first. His rah rah style of coaching and thinking he's just going to impose his will, will do nothing but kill them every year when playing smarter coaches who know better than to shoot themselves in the foot every chance they get. I don't really care.. it's the Lions, but it sure would've been nice to see the Niners go down at home. And they blew it in grand fashion.
When SF went down the field and got a fg, and then Detroit had a relatively easy fg in range, there was no need to go for a td. By countering SF's fg with their own, essentially all the SF fg would have done was to run off a bunch of clock, they'd still have been behind by the same amount of points. That is, or could be, rather demoralizing. But noooo, Campbell had to be Mr. Tough Guy and "go for the throat".

And when it failed, you could clearly see SF getting a huge emotional lift. Dan conveniently forgot to look at the other side of what could happen in that decision.

Well, there are times to do that, and there are times not to do that. These cases were the latter.

But fire Campbell? The only coach in 30 years to win a playoff game for Detroit? Lol.

He's young, he'll learn, or if not, this will happen again and then he should be fired.

I remember Jerry firing Chan Gailey after only 2 years as the head coach of the Cowboys, despite being in the playoffs both of those years. That in my opinion was Jerry's biggest coaching blunder ever, even outstripping keeping Jason Garrett for 10 years....

HungryLion

Reaction score
Isn't the coach supposed to teach the players to execute?
Yes. The coach is supposed to teach players how to catch a ball and not fumble.

And I’ll add. He taught them how to execute well enough to get to an NFC title game. Something no cowboys coach has done for 30 years.

conner01

Reaction score
Yes. Too risky.

I get going for it in certain situations. And yes there were dropped passes But you have to know that can happen. Passing on 4th down- a pass can get tipped-anything can happen.

Take the easy points and give your team a shot to compete.
He lacks situational awareness.