Dan Patrick on the Cowboys: "Dallas Fans Deserve Better Than This"

Diehardblues

Reaction score
So... your plan is to extend him. Got it.

I'm not sure I see the point in complaining about QB right now, we have what we have and there aren't any real viable short term alternatives.

The only way to improve the situation we're stuck in is to coach him up.
I’d only extend him to be a backup.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I could not disagree more with "Dallas fans deserve better than this" because they've been accepting this and financially supporting the franchise. They are getting exactly what they deserve.

They sit there like a bunch of dunces when the Joneses are flashed in their suite and they should be loudly booing them and stop buying Booger's BS. Dallas fans are lined up saying "yes sir, may I have another"?

kuyyo_morro

Reaction score
Where was Dan Patrick when Jerry assembled the best team in the league during 90s, winning more super bowls than coveted Landry.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Here's a flashback from 2012 and history repeating itself:

Tim Macmahon is the reporter asking the tough questions. Coincidentally, he no longer covers the Dallas Cowboys.

Jerry will use those dusty trophies to justify himself as GM until death do they part, just like Al Davis.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Not really. He'd make a lot more money with a SB winning, or even a contending team. Merchandise sales would be through the roof. Don't think for a second that this team sucks because Jerry doesn't care. He just thinks he's the smartest guy in the room at all times, so to follow anyone else's example would be contradictory to his nature.......IMO
Of course he'd make more, it's easier to sell a winning team than it is a "meh" team. Jerry can justify it by looking at the most valuable franchise in sports. In Jerry's mind he's just one or two moves or breaks away from winning a SuperBowl and then he'd show everybody he was right all along. We're not just at the mercy of Garrett's "process", we're at the mercy of Jerry's process too.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
I generally like cheap in free agency. The worst values is found in the top end of free agency.

Build through the draft. Fill holes with free agency.

This philosophy in general is fine but when you only dumpster dive in free agency when even mid tier free agents could improve your team, you need to pay the piper.

There is a time to be cheap in free agency but not all the time.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Of course he'd make more, it's easier to sell a winning team than it is a "meh" team. Jerry can justify it by looking at the most valuable franchise in sports. In Jerry's mind he's just one or two moves or breaks away from winning a SuperBowl and then he'd show everybody he was right all along. We're not just at the mercy of Garrett's "process", we're at the mercy of Jerry's process too.
He actually wouldn't make a lot more except for at home playoff games where the expenses would be less because of the players' salaries covered by the NFL playoff purse.

I think the NFL should exempt monies paid as the result of making the playoffs from the cap. Cap ends on the final regular season day. Any owner may incentivize his team with playoff bonuses to his own discretion.

Think about it. You're beat up from 16 games over 17 weeks and now you're going to play for a fraction of your game check? We would like to think all players want to make the playoffs but I don't think that's the case. It is a play for pay game.

Booger is impervious to bad seasons more than any other owner because of that stadium and he has almost as many college games in it as his own team with fewer expenses. Not to mention the other events. When he got that stadium, that changed everything for the worse for the fans. He does not need to win, only wants to and the difference between the two is vast and wide.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wonder about this attitude toward FA. Is that because that's how you really feel or is that the result of how poorly the Cowboys have used FA? There are actually teams that use it very well to augment the needs of their team. The Cowboys are more miss than hit.

Have you noticed how some teams, NE, PHL, NO, LAR, KC to name a few are more proactive in their perpetual drive to make their teams better and the Cowboys are reactive? How many times have you heard "we like these". Most recently, you heard that about the WR's and TE's. They wait for problems to arise while the really good teams anticipate them and get out in front of them. That is the trait of the gambler. I've made my bet, now I've just got to see what happens.

The Joneses are the Scarlett O'Hara of the NFL, "I'll worry about that tomorrow".

kskboys

Reaction score
I wonder about this attitude toward FA. Is that because that's how you really feel or is that the result of how poorly the Cowboys have used FA? There are actually teams that use it very well to augment the needs of their team. The Cowboys are more miss than hit.

Have you noticed how some teams, NE, PHL, NO, LAR, KC to name a few are more proactive in their perpetual drive to make their teams better and the Cowboys are reactive? How many times have you heard "we like these". Most recently, you heard that about the WR's and TE's. They wait for problems to arise while the really good teams anticipate them and get out in front of them. That is the trait of the gambler. I've made my bet, now I've just got to see what happens.

The Joneses are the Scarlett O'Hara of the NFL, "I'll worry about that tomorrow".
Yes, we use it poorly.

We either overpay for splash players or sign guys who are not NFL starters. And as w/ many things, we don't seem to be capable of anything in between. There are affordable players in FA, but we want CB's and WR's, and pay a premium to get them, even though I can't even remember the last one that worked out. So, we're left desperately hoping that Coops is the abberation.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Right, so it's not that he doesn't care. He honestly thinks he knows what he's doing.

Pants

Reaction score
I could not disagree more with "Dallas fans deserve better than this" because they've been accepting this and financially supporting the franchise. They are getting exactly what they deserve.

They sit there like a bunch of dunces when the Joneses are flashed in their suite and they should be loudly booing them and stop buying Booger's BS. Dallas fans are lined up saying "yes sir, may I have another"?

so why are you in a forum for a team that you do not name as your "favorite"?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Think he would agree to that and is there another team that might take a shot at him as a #1?

BTW I agree with you, just don't think he would agree to the ego hit.
Good question whether he’d agree to it.

Unfortunately I’m ok if he wouldn’t want to hang as our backup but unless we see something closer to his Rookie season then I can’t imagine anyone pursuing giving up anything in trade value other than a 6th or 7th for a backup role not a franchise contract as their starter.

cern

Reaction score
"deserve's got nothing to do with it"...………………………….William munny to little bill in unforgiven

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Yep

It all goes back to the conflict of interest the owner wearing both hats as GM presents.

The owner promotes his current product with everything he has and worries about next year.. next year .

If the current product doesnt meet expectations satisfying the market then he goes into Damage Control mode like a politician covering up or whizzing on a fire.

And fans buy in like he’s doing all he can. It’s an ever ending rollarcoaster ride. It’s why the fans over react because they’re built up with the Jerry hype which is done to promote hope for the product.

It’s a vicious cycle. Been there done that. It’s the same crap we’ve been preaching for years that falls on deaf ears when we get a little taste of success like 2016.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
When Troy this week used the word “ dysfunction “ when referring to the organizational issues from the top, I felt he’d been looking in or had someone close who had.

Unfortunately everyone doesn’t let Jerry know where it wound hurt the most.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
When Troy this week used the word “ dysfunction “ when referring to the organizational issues from the top, I felt he’d been looking in or had someone close who had.

Unfortunately everyone doesn’t let Jerry know where it wound hurt the most.
I think he's an insider himself.