Dan Quinn and Commanders projected to steal RB Tony Pollard from Cowboys via free agency

DFWJC

Reaction score
Pollard was starting to look more like his old self the final 5-6 games.

But this a great year to get a RB in rounds 3-5
Adios

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
Technically, we ended up drafting Zeke the year after to play with Romo. And the OL is nowhere near where it was when this was happening. We had the best OL coach in the business.
The running game in 16 was elite. It would be nice to get back to that level, but it isn't a necessity with the weapons in place. The starting RB averaged 4.0 ypc. That's barely pedestrian in the NFL. I don't care if we have a 1,000 yard rusher. We just need an effective running back that defenses fear to relieve pressure from Dak and the receivers.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
Dan Quinn like others is about to take Ole Jerry to the woodshed and spank that azzzzzz.

btgboys41

Reaction score
I have never, nor will I ever trifle over a player our competition may sign, that I’m good getting rid of.

MikeT22

Reaction score
We can't afford to re-sign Pollard who will be going into his 6th season. I assumed all year that this was his last season in Dallas.

quickccc

Reaction score
He had some great moments here. I think the ankle really robbed him of an opportunity to shine as the lead back. The kid has talent. I'm sure he will shine in the right position. Catching a gig in KC makes a ton of sense with Pacheco and Co in place. Imagine if he was spelling McCaffery in SF next year.

He's a weapon. If the numbers lined up, I'd welcome him back to Dallas with open arms. I just don't think we're in a position to use him properly, nor do I see us being the highest bidder.

I'd open up the draft for RB in any round this year. I'm not too interested in missing out on a young horse because we needed such and such player at another position. If RB is the best player, take him. If there's a target within reach, trade up and get him.

Dallas is always at its best with a strong rushing attack. The dynasties were built on a strong ground foundation and has carried forward to what we see today. Last season was the outlier. Dak played out of his mind, despite a poor ground game and willed this team to 12 wins, along with a strong performance by the defense. In the end, it fell apart.

Imagine what this team would've been with a really good lead back this season. Longevity is always a concern, but teams are still drafting backs in the 1st for a reason. They're important pieces to a successful franchise. If we get lucky and find one late, great. I'm not interested in chancing it. We're screwed if we miss the boat this year, and if an early pick solves the problem for 4-8 years, we have to make the pick.
It's all mute point , if he is simply not the same explosive homerun RB that emerged as a 1st rime pro bowler in '22.

That was why his stock sky rocketed in the market and Cowboys sensed the urge to franchise tag him.

He didn't need surgery or screws for his fibula - and his high ankle sprain was considered a minor procedure. Not an ACL or Achilles tendon tear. But yet he said he didn't feel strong about his ankle until late in the season. And even then, he never showed the innate burst that opposing defenses feared.

And it certainly did not help that this Cowboys coaching staff was hideous in scheming to his strong suits.
Instead of Pollard being fit schemed such as Aaron Jones GB, ...James Cook Bills, ..Travis Etienne- Jax
Austin Ekeler Chargers, Lions Montgomery/Gibbs, ..etc. all purpose slasher type that excel in burst & movement skills, ... we just ground pound Pollard like he was Natrone Means up middle.
and totally failed him as a receiver out of backfield

quickccc

Reaction score
We can't afford to re-sign Pollard who will be going into his 6th season. I assumed all year that this was his last season in Dallas.
yes we can ... Cowboys can re-sign any player that they really deem a "Core " player.

People just don't get salary cap. Contracts can be re-done, extended and restructure to get back in the
black, plus add that the NFL team salary cap goes up every year. Teams get in the red all the time and
they move contracts around to fit.

its just they don't want to re-sign average players to big money contracts. but they maybe making repeated
mistakes of re-signing post ACL pending players to big money contracts ( ala Steele and Gallup)

quickccc

Reaction score
His dad being a scout was part of the reason, but not the only reason. He obviously has some talent but he’s too small.
if this is a mis-fit for the upfront RBs such as Pollard ... this coaching staff is certainly gonna be a misfit
for Deuce. they dunno how to use RBs whether run or pass ... and it's very likely gonna bite us hard again with us returning the same knuckle-headed coaches next year.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
We know for a fact that isn't true. Why does this fiction story pop up every now and then?
If this scouting department actually thought a 5-6, 176 pound RB that runs a 4.5 in the 40 would make a legit NFL RB................WOW.

Dont take my word for it, lets look at his actual stats from his rookie season.

Dude played in 7 games his rookie year, he had 23 carries for 40 yards.............that is 1.7 yards per rush.............that is so laughably bad for somebody that actually got drafted, you could literally sign any scrub off any of the 31 other practice squads around the league and get 1.7 a carry from them.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
It's all mute point , if he is simply not the same explosive homerun RB that emerged as a 1st rime pro bowler in '22.

That was why his stock sky rocketed in the market and Cowboys sensed the urge to franchise tag him.

He didn't need surgery or screws for his fibula - and his high ankle sprain was considered a minor procedure. Not an ACL or Achilles tendon tear. But yet he said he didn't feel strong about his ankle until late in the season. And even then, he never showed the innate burst that opposing defenses feared.

And it certainly did not help that this Cowboys coaching staff was hideous in scheming to his strong suits.
Instead of Pollard being fit schemed such as Aaron Jones GB, ...James Cook Bills, ..Travis Etienne- Jax
Austin Ekeler Chargers, Lions Montgomery/Gibbs, ..etc. all purpose slasher type that excel in burst & movement skills, ... we just ground pound Pollard like he was Natrone Means up middle.
The way he was utilized was very strange. They had 4 years of first hand knowledge on how to use him, and opted to turn him into Zeke. I wonder if that at least partially had to do with poor results in practice. Injuries effect people differently. Physically, sure he probably was fine. The mental aspect of it is a tough hurdle to overcome.

McCarthy isn't known for having a dynamic running attack, but Pollard's 4.0 YPC is among the worst lead backs throughout his career. He managed to scheme Ty Montgomery, a WR, into an effective back. Much of his tenure in GB was RB by committee, and Aaron Rodgers is one of the best passers ever, so you won't really see eye popping figures. What you will see is enough success to allow for that dynamic passing offense to function properly. That's not something we saw this year, and I think partially that had to do with a confidence deficit from the lead back. This was my major concern about him coming into the season without proper competition.

I have no doubt that a good RB would have more success than we Pollard saw this year. Hopefully they invest some assets into the lines, and bring in a couple of talented runners to bolster the ground game. This needs to be priority 1. Ahead of LB. Ahead of DT. Ahead of EDGE rushers. If we don't bring in quality running backs, we're dead in the water.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The best thing for Dallas to do is start afresh. Get a decent, NFL caliber running back in the draft, and work on both lines along with the linebackers.

Carson

Reaction score
If a person drops something on the ground and then walks away, is it considered “stealing” if someone else picks it up?

:huh:
Its always considered stealing when it’s taken from Dallas

Eagles stole Nnamdi
Eagles stole Murray
Commanders stole Quinn
Commanders stole Ridgeway lol

blueblood70

Reaction score

the reasoning behind keeping him was failed in the first place..... as they did not want to lose Dalton and Ezekiel Elliott in the same season and then cut Pollard, maybe lose too much offense at once , the issue here as soon as they sign them to $10 million he was going to be expected to be a three down running back .$10 million to a back means you need to be on the field 60% of the snaps..... In hindsight it would have been better to offer Tony Pollard a three-year $8 million contract if he didn't like it he could have moved on but his best ability is to not wear his legs out, used as a backup...

Well back up running backs should not be making $10 million in my opinion and now it's easier to see this mistake needs to not happen again and we need to go get a power back in the draft you can get guys like Tony Pollard mid level veterans for under $2,000,000 a year how DeAndre swift made about $2 million last year they're in the same skill set type area man a guy like Forman he made under 4 million last year we could have got the same production for a third of the price....