Dan Quinn and the defensive meltdown

75boyz

Reaction score
At some point we gotta give credit to the other team as being paid professionals too.
Seattle has a good coach, decent to good QB, excellent receivers and while an inconsistent defense this year, they still have good players at all 3 levels.

It was a good win regardless if the pass defense had some issues.
Metcalf, Lockett and Smith-Njigba are a formidable trio.

jmo

doomsday9084

Reaction score
DQ has laid a few stinkers this year.

The team gets a lot of fast QB pressure. The announcers talk about it, everyone discusses it, opponents know it. Despite that, Dallas has rather pedestrian sack totals. Why? Because teams gameplan for Dallas and they get the ball out quick.

To me, the big issue is the underneath coverage schemes. Soooooo many of the passes are 5 yards and the guy is totally uncovered allowing him a 8 or 9 yard gain. The corners seem like they are being left on an island. Its always Lewis, Bland and Gilmore one on one.

Where the F are the safeties and linebackers (particularly Clark in coverage)? Dallas doesn't do full out blitzes very often. They frequently get pressure with the front 4. It looks to me at times that the defense is out there playing with 8 men: The line, the 3 CB's and Bell.

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
At some point we gotta give credit to the other team as being paid professionals too.
Seattle has a good coach, decent to good QB, excellent receivers and while an inconsistent defense this year, they still have good players at all 3 levels.

It was a good win regardless if the pass defense had some issues.
Metcalf, Lockett and Smith-Njigba are a formidable trio.

jmo
Some issues.... Seatlle had not scored a TD in 7 qtrs...until last night and then they scored at will...put up 35pts, not 1 punt, DQ defenses are just HORRID against good teams... Guess DAK and the offense will have to put 50pts next week....

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Think you overreacting a bit........no excuse for the penalties but their offense matched up very and probably played the best game of the season.

I'm not concerned at all..........
We have played 3 teams with a pulse all year. Philly, SF, Seattle. All of them have had their way with this defense. That is very concerning. And we have more coming up to finish the season.

Quinn's defense feasts off bottom teams. Rarely makes plays against the good ones. Our first play yesterday came after letting Seattle torch us all night.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Cant figure out why everyone is bashing MM and the offense when they out up another 40pts. While the ***Golden Boy*** Dan Quinn defense is just HORRID....NO EXCUSES for this defense any more... Teams have caught on to DQ defense and it has turned into an Atlanta Falcons 2.0 defense. They cannot compete with over .500 teams with good QB or good offenses....they only beat up on losing teams....aka,,, Mac Jones, Daniel Jones, Sam Howell ran offenses...while they look like trash against quality teams

Bottom line it is up to DAK and this offense to bail out the defense....DAN QUIN is a fraud
here's the problem Dan Quinn it's becoming rod marinelli it's boom or bust opportunistic defense and if they don't get the pass rush there they're playing too much man they're playing one-on-one they're putting all their corners on an island and he seemed to refuse to wanna play zone or any kind of hybrid zone where they can help double some of these receivers dude Seattle receiver group is one of the best 123 groups in the entire NFL you know we're gonna see another one of those coming down the line in Miami you better play zone in some of these games and make it a lot harder for them to move the football...

If anybody's been had their head in the sand our three losses this year were because of the defense they were because of Dan Quinn he literally has an ego issue.. He's so overconfident in our pass rush that it's gonna get there he keeps leaving our guys on an island and this has to stop this defense is not good and in my opinion I don't care if anybody wants to bring something else into the debate they're clearly the biggest reason we lost those three games this year because it looked a lot like last night the only problem is the offense couldn't get anything going because I don't know the Eagles in the 49ers have a better defense we got away with one last night because our offense stepped up and we were had to be lucky cause Seattle defense wasn't very good but

we lost those three games this year because of the defense... I've said it all year this is not the championship defense that we were expecting no championship defense gives up 21 points in the first half of a game at home especially when your team comes out and gives you lead after lead we were up 17/7 at that point the defense should have done their jobs it started holding that offense down and they did not and it was the lack of adjustments by Dan Quinn refusing to play zone or any version of anything besides man on the back end and super pass rush on the front end... So when the pass rush doesn't get there this looks like rob marinelli's defense I'm not trying to be cute Ross had some good defense but what did we call it bend don't break well this is breaking too often even in the games that we won look at the long drives that Carolina and Washington was able to put together if they were better teams they would have gave this defense a run for their money as well these long time of possession and many times ending in scores type drives have got to stop the bleeding is terrible..

so i'm going to say this again, the defense is our issue and been all year, the Seattle's not a juggernaut but they also have weapons much like MIami ,whose coming soon and Detroit can move the ball in many ways.. .. Bills are better matchup as they can be dangerous but not in many areas they can matchup with them...

blueblood70

Reaction score
Some issues.... Seatlle had not scored a TD in 7 qtrs...until last night and then they scored at will...put up 35pts, not 1 punt, DQ defenses are just HORRID against good teams... Guess DAK and the offense will have to put 50pts next week....
but it's a week-to-week league... anything that happened last night, doesnt mean it's going to happen against Philly.. we match up pretty well against Philadelphia at home, i mean not as worried.., again week to week 10 days to rest and prepare.. we do got to remember how hard it is to win three games in 12 days and to go 3-0 is impressive,... i'm sure these dudes are wore out and tired....

10 days is a nice break get minds and bodies right...

4iers better beat Philly and will make that Philly game they biggest game weve had all year..

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Cant figure out why everyone is bashing MM and the offense when they out up another 40pts. While the ***Golden Boy*** Dan Quinn defense is just HORRID....NO EXCUSES for this defense any more... Teams have caught on to DQ defense and it has turned into an Atlanta Falcons 2.0 defense. They cannot compete with over .500 teams with good QB or good offenses....they only beat up on losing teams....aka,,, Mac Jones, Daniel Jones, Sam Howell ran offenses...while they look like trash against quality teams

Bottom line it is up to DAK and this offense to bail out the defense....DAN QUIN is a fraud
Seattle had a great game plan. For once let’s give the other team credit. Unless you have 4 former all pro’s nowadays, good offenses have an advantage. NFL headquarters was happy with yesterday’s game except for the penalties.

Ring6

StarSchema
Reaction score
just swap Kearse for Juanyeh. plus 10 days of rest will help.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
Seattle put up way more of a fight than I expected. They have good players and a coach that’s had success. Geno played great for the first three quarters and our secondary simply couldn’t cover DK and Jaxon.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Defense is tired. 3 games in less than 2 weeks. Honestly if seahags defense was not terrible we could have lost that game easily. MM (IMO) called a bad game. Dak bailed him out. We better get a run game figured out. And red zone inside the 5 better get better. Starts with smarter play calls.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Wow :omg:
Not sure how you really feel?
:muttley:

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
DQ doesn't scheme anything.

This is why I say every time someone worries about losing him as an HC that a) nobody would be smart to hire him and b) it wouldn't matter anyway. He just lines up in man coverage and hopes his guys win.

It kills you against good offenses - they've only played against 3 this year and all 3 have scored at least 28 points.

Whyjerry

Reaction score

This is pretty accurate. I wouldn’t say DQ is a fraud. He is a good but not great DC. He is not the second coming some say he is. Safety play has been bad recently. Not sure where that came from.

kskboys

Reaction score
This is pretty accurate. I wouldn’t say DQ is a fraud. He is a good but not great DC. He is not the second coming some say he is. Safety play has been bad recently. Not sure where that came from.
We don't have a cover S. Desperately need a ballhawking centerfielder at FS. Still filling the roster w/ hard hitting box S's.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
We don't have a cover S. Desperately need a ballhawking centerfielder at FS. Still filling the roster w/ hard hitting box S's.
What exactly do you think Hooker is?

They play single-high man. No S is going to make plays in those instances because the QB just reads where they go and throws the other way.

kskboys

Reaction score
I avoid the game thread. It was first time looking in there and I had been warned. Chicken littles with the sky falling...
Ah, well that makes sense then.

The gameday thread is nothing but people coming in there to hear themselves talk. There's no discussion or back and forth, just mind numbingly bad commentary.

kskboys

Reaction score
What exactly do you think Hooker is?

They play single-high man. No S is going to make plays in those instances because the QB just reads where they go and throws the other way.
A decent player who is too often fooled by misdirection and play fakes. Appears to lack instincts.