Dan Quinn and the defensive meltdown

doomsday9084

Reaction score
I watched Clark, he's basically a statue with no instincts in coverage. Bell was surprisingly bad in coverage last night. And the Safeties? Forget about it. Maybe this is why Quinn calls so much man. I don’t know….
Yeah, I think its kind of an issue. Teams seem to know that they can get open very quickly on this defense. Watching Parsons almost get to the QB all game long is frustrating.

75boyz

Reaction score
Some issues.... Seatlle had not scored a TD in 7 qtrs...until last night and then they scored at will...put up 35pts, not 1 punt, DQ defenses are just HORRID against good teams... Guess DAK and the offense will have to put 50pts next week....
I cant speak for all 7 of those quarters without their scoring an offensive TD, but 4 of them were against San Francisco previous to this game so I'll give 'em a little slack I guess.

Praxit

Reaction score
Unfortunately we don’t have the right type of players to play a coverage lockdown scheme.

The defense is centered around a solid pass rush and man to man defense which puts pressure on the QB go throw quick and the WRs with press man.

When you play a team with long, young, and speedy receivers like SEA it’s going to be tough. Was a mismatch for sure.
.. yep,.. you nailed that right there. This defense thrives on the pass rush.
What happens when there's no pass rush? We got trouble.
Dallas secondary was exposed a little bit last night. Got to fix that and come in weeks

Praxit

Reaction score
They really missed Diggs last night, but then again, if Diggs was healthy, Lewis would be on the bench and Bland would still be in the game.

There are certain routes Bland defends really well, there are others where he gets toasted. Is it physical limitations or just the learning experiences of a 2nd year player?
.. he's learning, barely in his second year. But the guy is going to be elite, eventually.
That's why they got to keep Gilmore around for veterans support and knowledge of the game.

shabazz

Reaction score
I dont understand why we dont blitz more. Geno was comfortable all night then we started blitzing and you see he started treating the ball like a hot potato.
The game plan was for geno to get rid of the ball very quickly and it was very effective.

Game could have gone either way

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Unfortunately we don’t have the right type of players to play a coverage lockdown scheme.

The defense is centered around a solid pass rush and man to man defense which puts pressure on the QB go throw quick and the WRs with press man.

When you play a team with long, young, and speedy receivers like SEA it’s going to be tough. Was a mismatch for sure.
That's one reason I'm proud of the resilience the defense showed. Yes, it played horrible for most of the game, but when we needed it down the stretch, defenders made stop after stop, from Jourdan Lewis knocking down two short passes, to DeMarcus Lawrence destroying a fourth-down run, to pressuring two fourth-down incompletions to wrap up the victory.

They absolutely deserve the criticism they are getting, but that was some clutch defense when we needed it.

Cydios

Reaction score
I'm hoping last night was just a fluke, but It looks like our defense is very one dimensional. Blitz, pressure.. force the QB to make mistakes. Seems logical. When teams can hold against the blitz, they struggle period. The big adjustment is swapping Bland and Gilly. If we have to drop in coverage without pressure, teams seem to take apart the defense. What are we missing?

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Sometimes the other coaches and players win. If the team that was supposed to win always won, Vegas would be out of business.
We always want to blame someone; it’s always black and white because that’s easier to understand. It’s not always bad coaching or bad playing. Sometimes the other side has a great game and beats you.

Wilson and the Jets beat Hurts and Philly. It happens.

Flinger

Reaction score
Before the game, it was said, "These may be the best 3 receivers the Cowboys face all year." on a pre-game program.

Whoever said it was correct.

Sometimes match ups matter. This one benefited the Seahawks while on offense.

Next week's match up will be tough, too. In fact, with the injuries at RB for the Seahawks, they were unable to have the balance between running and passing they normally have. Passing more seemed to work for them with a lot of short, quick outs.

Not so the Eagles. They are healthy in the RB room. With very good receivers, also. But they will study the tape.

It will be another challenge to the defense.

But this is what MM means about playing complimentarian football... some weeks the match ups favor the offense, some favor the defense and special teams are the 3rd leg that is easily overlooked, for which the Cowboys are very good.

Desperado

Reaction score
10 day rest will be huge for the defense. 3 games in quick succession like we just had is tough.

AmericasTeam31

Reaction score
We did swap Gilmore and Bland last night, eventually. His pick was from the left side vs the Metcalf catches on the right side.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Quinn is philosophically rigid. Personnel-wise, the defense is married to single high safety coverages. They don’t have two reliable deep safeties. But even beyond this limitation, he seems to get stuck in a cover one rut. The more the defense struggles, the more he relies on man coverage. It leaves them susceptible to big plays, even when the pressure is consistent.

In the end, Quinn isn’t going to change because this is who he is. This has always been him. And as we all saw in the Super Bowl, he will literally go down in flames with it.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
In today's offense-oriented NFL, what the Cowboys were doing on defense was not sustainable. They were overdue for a game like this to be honest. Not to worry, remember they clamped down when it truly mattered and Seattle was playing out of their minds with their season on the line.

Big D

Reaction score
I still think we tend to be soft in the interior of the line. Any team that really wants to can run on us but we've done a good job so far keeping teams at bay in that aspect. Playoff football will force our hand there.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Are we sure Quinn is even a "good" DC? Before coming to the Cowboys, he had only spent 2 years as a DC in the NFL and that was with the Legion of Boom Seahawks that had All Pro-caliber talent at DL, LB, CB, and safety. And let's be clear - he didn't build the Seattle defense either. That was mainly Pete Carroll's creation.

Other than that, he has been a DL coach in the NFL plus his time as HC in Atlanta. I ask because the schemes and playcalls (deciding when/when not to send pressure) leave a lot to be desired.

Trendnet

Reaction score
Cant figure out why everyone is bashing MM and the offense when they out up another 40pts. While the ***Golden Boy*** Dan Quinn defense is just HORRID....NO EXCUSES for this defense any more... Teams have caught on to DQ defense and it has turned into an Atlanta Falcons 2.0 defense. They cannot compete with over .500 teams with good QB or good offenses....they only beat up on losing teams....aka,,, Mac Jones, Daniel Jones, Sam Howell ran offenses...while they look like trash against quality teams

Bottom line it is up to DAK and this offense to bail out the defense....DAN QUIN is a fraud
I can always tell when someone is serious based on the amount of random all cap words and misspellings.

DCreppinBoysfan

Reaction score

So pretty much all the NFC playoff teams outside of Green Bay

DCreppinBoysfan

Reaction score
Are we sure Quinn is even a "good" DC? Before coming to the Cowboys, he had only spent 2 years as a DC in the NFL and that was with the Legion of Boom Seahawks that had All Pro-caliber talent at DL, LB, CB, and safety. And let's be clear - he didn't build the Seattle defense either. That was mainly Pete Carroll's creation.

Other than that, he has been a DL coach in the NFL plus his time as HC in Atlanta. I ask because the schemes and playcalls (deciding when/when not to send pressure) leave a lot to be desired.
The lack of adjustments are leave more to
Be decided