Dan Quinn and the defensive meltdown

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
DQ has laid a few stinkers this year.

The team gets a lot of fast QB pressure. The announcers talk about it, everyone discusses it, opponents know it. Despite that, Dallas has rather pedestrian sack totals. Why? Because teams gameplan for Dallas and they get the ball out quick.

To me, the big issue is the underneath coverage schemes. Soooooo many of the passes are 5 yards and the guy is totally uncovered allowing him a 8 or 9 yard gain. The corners seem like they are being left on an island. Its always Lewis, Bland and Gilmore one on one.

Where the F are the safeties and linebackers (particularly Clark in coverage)? Dallas doesn't do full out blitzes very often. They frequently get pressure with the front 4. It looks to me at times that the defense is out there playing with 8 men: The line, the 3 CB's and Bell.
I watched Clark, he's basically a statue with no instincts in coverage. Bell was surprisingly bad in coverage last night. And the Safeties? Forget about it. Maybe this is why Quinn calls so much man. I don’t know….

Creeper

Reaction score
They really missed Diggs last night, but then again, if Diggs was healthy, Lewis would be on the bench and Bland would still be in the game.

There are certain routes Bland defends really well, there are others where he gets toasted. Is it physical limitations or just the learning experiences of a 2nd year player?

Creeper

Reaction score
7 seconds from the1 yard line they cold probably still get off 3 plays in the end zone. One thing I thought last night was how poorly the Cowboys DBs were tackling after the catch. They seemed to be waiting for the receivers to come to them instead of being aggressive and hitting them as soon as they caught the ball. They left receivers catch and get out of bounds a few times when times was short.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
How are we going to contain Allen? He is starting to play like he used to, and if we can't stop Gino at home, how do we stop Josh in Buffal and the snow?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
There should be concern against solid running teams and possession WRs. We squeaked out the win, but it wasn't a walk. Better teams are en route.

BigTx66

Reaction score
Think you overreacting a bit........no excuse for the penalties but their offense matched up very and probably played the best game of the season.

I'm not concerned at all..........
There is no overreaction.....was at the game and Seattle game-planned perfectly for the Cowboy deficiencies.......fast release by QB exposed the Cowboy db's. constantly, and did not give the Dallas rush time enough to get close to Geno Smith. It's a nice blueprint for other teams coming up. Bland was absolutely awful the entire game, no matter what receiver he was covering....and it's unfortunate. The safeties were absolutely useless in pass coverage last night, leaving the corners totally exposed. Yes, the Cowboys won, which I'm happy about, but the upcoming teams are going to try to do the same things against this defense, and without changes, Dallas will be in trouble.

Creeper

Reaction score
How are we going to contain Allen? He is starting to play like he used to, and if we can't stop Gino at home, how do we stop Josh in Buffal and the snow?
Let's get done with Hurts first. I think the Cowboys can get more pressure on Josh Allen. We'll have to see if it snows or not but I am pretty sure it will be cold.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The defense was built to play with a lead. Every time they don't have one they struggle. It's that simple.

dfense

Reaction score
Cant figure out why everyone is bashing MM and the offense when they out up another 40pts. While the ***Golden Boy*** Dan Quinn defense is just HORRID....NO EXCUSES for this defense any more... Teams have caught on to DQ defense and it has turned into an Atlanta Falcons 2.0 defense. They cannot compete with over .500 teams with good QB or good offenses....they only beat up on losing teams....aka,,, Mac Jones, Daniel Jones, Sam Howell ran offenses...while they look like trash against quality teams

Bottom line it is up to DAK and this offense to bail out the defense....DAN QUIN is a fraud
How much $ did you lose?

foofighters

Reaction score
Cant figure out why everyone is bashing MM and the offense when they out up another 40pts. While the ***Golden Boy*** Dan Quinn defense is just HORRID....NO EXCUSES for this defense any more... Teams have caught on to DQ defense and it has turned into an Atlanta Falcons 2.0 defense. They cannot compete with over .500 teams with good QB or good offenses....they only beat up on losing teams....aka,,, Mac Jones, Daniel Jones, Sam Howell ran offenses...while they look like trash against quality teams

Bottom line it is up to DAK and this offense to bail out the defense....DAN QUIN is a fraud
The seahawks generate a good amount of yardage. We own our penalties and we have to clean that up. they are not a bad team and many people expected it to be close.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Serious question- when is the last time this defense shut down a quality opponent? I can’t think of one

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
It is concerning. I made a post last night… last years jags game… the 49ers game this year and yesterday’s game. All the teams made it a a point to get the ball out quick. We had 0 sacks combined for those three games and we gave up an average of 37 points. That’s a problem.

Mark

Reaction score
Actually, last night.
Yes, congratulations to DQ's crew for not giving up 45 pts. last night.

They were lit up like a Christmas tree all evening, and finally pulled themselves together at the end of the game, requiring Dak's offense to put up a mere 41 pts. to eke out a nail-biter.

Awesome job, guys!

DB_Cooper

RubyRidge
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’d like to see Mukuamu play more. He played well at the end of the season last year. Not sure why he isn’t finding any serious playing time. I would rather have him at safety than what we have out there now.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Defense is tired. 3 games in less than 2 weeks. Honestly if seahags defense was not terrible we could have lost that game easily. MM (IMO) called a bad game. Dak bailed him out. We better get a run game figured out. And red zone inside the 5 better get better. Starts with smarter play calls.
Not sure we can get a run game figured out. Our OL is pretty meh. We don't have the RBs to get those tough yards with consistency. The holes aren't there. Pollard has definitely lost some of that explosiveness he used to have. Maybe due to the injury last year.

bigdnlaca

Reaction score
The script is as follows:

#1 Cowboys win: All coordinators get credit

#2 If Cowboys lose whether it is because of defense and/or offense: HC get blame

#3 Cowboys win but defense struggle :
Same as #1 but excuses are made for Quinn or key in on must have stops

#4 Cowboys win but offense struggle :
Same as 1 but people questioning HC and think coordinator can do better job.

I hate to say it but I miss the Garrett days. At least there was some consistency on who to blame.

Mark

Reaction score
They really missed Diggs last night, but then again, if Diggs was healthy, Lewis would be on the bench and Bland would still be in the game.

There are certain routes Bland defends really well, there are others where he gets toasted. Is it physical limitations or just the learning experiences of a 2nd year player?
Bland gives up at least 4 in. and 35 lbs. to Metcalf. Leaving DaRon alone to handle that was not going to turn out well.