Dane Brugler Mock 4/17

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I’ve only seen it on Walterfootball which I don’t out stock in and haven’t heard it elsewhere once. And I don’t buy the school stuff..if you’re a stud you’re a stud. The top CB this year doesn’t play at a powerhouse.

And we could argue negatives on scouting reports if every player we’re talking about at 24 which is fine…but again just about every source out there has him as a top 30ish player in this class which is quite a bit higher than Tyler was. Hence better prospect.
Agree to disagree about this prospect.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I think they should take a center over Guyton.
I would take Powers-Johnson there because I think center is more of a need and the first or second center on the board at this point has less bust potential than the fifth, sixth, seventh tackle. Tackles fall to the 24th pick because they aren't worthy of being taken earlier. Centers are available at 24 because of positional value. I'd rather have the guy at the top of his value at a position than a player who isn't.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
I still think JPJ is going to be taken before they consider Guyton, IMO he is just perfect for what this team wants to do. I see him as a future All Pro player. There are a few players that could be available that I would select before him. But he’s a really good one.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Guyton started 14 games in FOUR years. He’s a disaster at 24

cnuball21

Reaction score
Guyton started 14 games in FOUR years. He’s a disaster at 24
Mims only started like 8 and he’s another 1st round OT prospect…

If your criteria is looking for more starts at OT in college you’re likely looking at a lesser talented player like Morgan or Kingsley.

I’d rather have the traits that translate to NFL success and higher ceiling as long as the sample size shows me good enough tape.

rambo2

Reaction score
I would take Powers-Johnson there because I think center is more of a need and the first or second center on the board at this point has less bust potential than the fifth, sixth, seventh tackle. Tackles fall to the 24th pick because they aren't worthy of being taken earlier. Centers are available at 24 because of positional value. I'd rather have the guy at the top of his value at a position than a player who isn't.
Jackson Powers-Johnson or Zach Frazier should be their pick, maybe with a trade back. I also like Jordan Morgan over Guyton.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Fair enough!
I respect your opinions and football knowledge, there will be times we view players differently. I will be the 1st to admit I was wrong if this kid becomes a high level starter

cnuball21

Reaction score
I respect your opinions and football knowledge, there will be times we view players differently. I will be the 1st to admit I was wrong if this kid becomes a high level starter
100%! I think the big difference in opinion is the maturity / work ethic. I haven’t heard anything about it but if it’s true I no part of him at 24.

Ideally he’s got that Tyler mentality and came in like a dog and worked his butt off.

Reaction score
1- Tyler Guyton
2- Payton Wilson
3- Jaylen Wright
4-
5- Matt Lee

174. Dallas Cowboys: Matt Lee, C, Miami​

If the Cowboys had to play a game tomorrow, the coaches would be comfortable starting Brock Hoffman at center. But they will address the position at some point in the draft. With his anchor and quickness, Lee is terrific value in the late fifth.
6- Xavier Weaver- WR Colarado
7-Chau Smith Wade- CB Washington State
7- Javontae Jean-Baptist- Notre Dame

Feels like a start of a dynasty after that haul
The center position needs more respect put on it. When was the last time this OL was worth a damn? When T-Fred was here. Sure, there's a chance any 5th round draftee can become a top player but this team acts like it's a throwaway position when it's not. You can get decent RBs late, get a better center early.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Jackson Powers-Johnson or Zach Frazier should be their pick, maybe with a trade back. I also like Jordan Morgan over Guyton.
Not as sure about Frazier, but I'm not going to argue if they choose him or Barton or JPJ. I think JPJ is the best of that bunch as a center, but I could be wrong about that. I think no matter what, we'll be able to get the top or at least second-best center, and he'll likely turn out to be a better player at his position that the seventh- or eighth-best tackle will be at his. We could luck out and that not end up being the case, but flaws are the reason that tackles are available in the 20s. Centers are available in the 20s because that's when you start taking the best at that position. The same year we took Tyler, Linderbaum was the top center and he went 25th. He made the Pro Bowl in 2023.

visionary

Reaction score
Priority #1 in this draft should be C and 1a DT

but of course we will go LB, WR, RB, CB

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
this is a baseline.
you stick at 24 and take best available (fit).

But a lot of risk in this model as Guyton may not be ready to pay LT.
Wilson may not be healthy enough to start at LB in the NFL.

So could resemble last year in top 2 players not starting year 1.
I am a fan of the sneaky good Lee pick and RB in the 3rd will do nicely.

Mocks like this are why I think I would move Tyler Smith back out to LT.
So much easier to find OL other than LT.
Drop 4-10 spots in draft, recoup your R4 at least.
Draft very good interior OL.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Not as sure about Frazier, but I'm not going to argue if they choose him or Barton or JPJ. I think JPJ is the best of that bunch as a center, but I could be wrong about that. I think no matter what, we'll be able to get the top or at least second-best center, and he'll likely turn out to be a better player at his position that the seventh- or eighth-best tackle will be at his. We could luck out and that not end up being the case, but flaws are the reason that tackles are available in the 20s. Centers are available in the 20s because that's when you start taking the best at that position. The same year we took Tyler, Linderbaum was the top center and he went 25th. He made the Pro Bowl in 2023.
Frazier is a poor man's Jason Kelce. Undersized wrestler who competes all out every play. Will never look as good in testing as he does in games.
His value is extreme to me given he is just outside R1 on most boards.

But you lay it out perfectly.
Can take a pro bowl caliber OC at 24 or a solid starter who never makes a pro bowl in R5.
I am a fan of moving down for Frazier and trying to split that difference.

gimmesix

Reaction score
this is a baseline.
you stick at 24 and take best available (fit).

But a lot of risk in this model as Guyton may not be ready to pay LT.
Wilson may not be healthy enough to start at LB in the NFL.

So could resemble last year in top 2 players not starting year 1.
I am a fan of the sneaky good Lee pick and RB in the 3rd will do nicely.

Mocks like this are why I think I would move Tyler Smith back out to LT.
So much easier to find OL other than LT.
Drop 4-10 spots in draft, recoup your R4 at least.
Draft very good interior OL.
I'm OK with the battle among Tyler, Richards and Bass for the starting LT and LG spots. And if we throw in JPJ, Barton or Frazier, we've really got a five-way battle for two spots (although I think Hoffman is the clear loser in that battle) since those rookies can play center or guard (and maybe even tackle for Barton).

My first option, if we draft one of the top three centers, would be figuring out if Richards can handle the LT spot, because I think our interior line would be a strength with Tyler at LG, JPJ at C and Martin at RG. Lots of power up the middle. I'm a fan of what we saw from Richards last year at LT, but we only got a limited glimpse and it was mostly against backups, so we don't know exactly what we've got there. However, we can move Tyler out there if we must.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Frazier is a poor man's Jason Kelce. Undersized wrestler who competes all out every play. Will never look as good in testing as he does in games.
His value is extreme to me given he is just outside R1 on most boards.

But you lay it out perfectly.
Can take a pro bowl caliber OC at 24 or a solid starter who never makes a pro bowl in R5.
I am a fan of moving down for Frazier and trying to split that difference.
I won't be surprised if Frazier ends up going in the first round. I've seen some rankings that have him there. I think if we want either Barton, JPJ or Frazier, we might have to take them where we are ... unless all three are there when we pick. Of course, if all three is there, then we can just take the one we see as the top one, unless the team doesn't see any talent difference between them.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I won't be surprised if Frazier ends up going in the first round. I've seen some rankings that have him there. I think if we want either Barton, JPJ or Frazier, we might have to take them where we are ... unless all three are there when we pick. Of course, if all three is there, then we can just take the one we see as the top one, unless the team doesn't see any talent difference between them.
Agreed but I suspect Frazier would be late to very late first.
Thern again these boards can certainly be off.
I doubt the 3rd OC goes before 28/29.
But after the top 3 I think you enter the drop off area. Guys who need seasoning or health or other things to succeed.

give me a day 1 OC and I am pretty happy.

Frazier is ONLY a center which is why I think he falls to that 3rd spot.
Barton can play all 5 positions to some extent and JPJ is as good a Guard as a Center.

A couple of the OTs are really OGs.

reddyuta

Reaction score
At this point i would minimize risk atleast in the 1st and 2nd Rd and that means no guys with injury history and guys who have barely started in college.