Danica Patrick takes historic pole position for Daytona 500

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Risen Star;5020611 said:
I think she'll do better anywhere that doesn't rely on a driver having to drive their car. Meaning the plate races.

She may have a decent top 25 run here or there but for the most part she will be an also ran field filler. Her performance last week was embarrassing. 6 laps down not do to any issue with the car but her own inability to drive it.

I don't even know what to say about the rest. Racing open wheel cars is nothing like stock cars. If you want to succeed in Cup as an open wheel driver you are far more likely to have success developing in a lower series. Her 2012 Nationwide season certainly didn't earn her a Cup ride. Her gender did.

Not sure why Nascar needs Patrick. If she was such a star you would have seen that reflected in the ratings when she was driving IRL. Instead you saw Nascar routinely squashing them in total viewers. It's not even close. The only indy car race that gets ratings is the Indy 500 and that has nothing to do with her. I'd say it's Patrick that needs Nascar. This is the racing people in this country care about.

I'm in the middle on this issue. There are those who simply do not want females in the sport. But then there are those who want to overrate and crown any female willing to try. I prefer accepting females but making them earn what they get like any other driver. As much as I think Danica does have some talent, she sure as bleep has been handed opportunities far greater than any results she's ever had on the track and that's simply because she is a female.

The fact she's in Cup right now is a joke to me. She belongs in a lower series paying her dues and getting the experience she needs to run competitively with the Cup drivers. It's not a sexist stance at all. Chase Elliott, son of my all time favorite Bill Elliott, is about to run some ARCA and Truck this year. If the plan was to immediately throw him into the Cup series I'd be saying the same things about Chase as I am Danica. He's not ready. He hasn't earned it. He'd be woefully in over his head. And Chase actually has some Late Model experience to help him transition to Nascar.

So an owner of a car chooses her and that embarrasses you? :laugh2:

NASCAR did not put her behind the wheel Stewart-Haas Racing did, really does not matter if you believe in her or your view of where she should start in terms of what series as a driver the people at Stewart-Haas Racing seems to disagree with you but then hell what do they know. :laugh2:

CowboyDan

Anger is a Gift
Reaction score
Doomsday101;5020624 said:
So an owner of a car chooses her and that embarrasses you? :laugh2:

NASCAR did not put her behind the wheel Stewart-Haas Racing did, really does not matter if you believe in her or your view of where she should start in terms of what series as a driver the people at Stewart-Haas Racing seems to disagree with you but then hell what do they know. :laugh2:
:hammer:And she's outperformed Ryan Newman this year in similar equipment this season, which is what no one wants to hear.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Risen Star;5020611 said:
I think she'll do better anywhere that doesn't rely on a driver having to drive their car. Meaning the plate races.

She may have a decent top 25 run here or there but for the most part she will be an also ran field filler. Her performance last week was embarrassing. 6 laps down not do to any issue with the car but her own inability to drive it.

I don't even know what to say about the rest. Racing open wheel cars is nothing like stock cars. If you want to succeed in Cup as an open wheel driver you are far more likely to have success developing in a lower series. Her 2012 Nationwide season certainly didn't earn her a Cup ride. Her gender did.

Not sure why Nascar needs Patrick. If she was such a star you would have seen that reflected in the ratings when she was driving IRL. Instead you saw Nascar routinely squashing them in total viewers. It's not even close. The only indy car race that gets ratings is the Indy 500 and that has nothing to do with her. I'd say it's Patrick that needs Nascar. This is the racing people in this country care about.

I'm in the middle on this issue. There are those who simply do not want females in the sport. But then there are those who want to overrate and crown any female willing to try. I prefer accepting females but making them earn what they get like any other driver. As much as I think Danica does have some talent, she sure as bleep has been handed opportunities far greater than any results she's ever had on the track and that's simply because she is a female.

The fact she's in Cup right now is a joke to me. She belongs in a lower series paying her dues and getting the experience she needs to run competitively with the Cup drivers. It's not a sexist stance at all. Chase Elliott, son of my all time favorite Bill Elliott, is about to run some ARCA and Truck this year. If the plan was to immediately throw him into the Cup series I'd be saying the same things about Chase as I am Danica. He's not ready. He hasn't earned it. He'd be woefully in over his head. And Chase actually has some Late Model experience to help him transition to Nascar.

Everything about this post is wrong and I'm going to guess that you don't really follow Indy/Cart/IRL Champ racing right? The ratings in that series have nothing at all to do with Patrick. The problem with that series is that it split into two different series, Indy and Kart. Kart had the majority of money and resources but Indy had the Indy 500 and that is the jewel of the entire series. The split caused a massive schism in the sport and they have not recovered since. It didn't help, at all, that most of the American Drivers in the series left to race in other racing series. The result was a great deal of loss of interest in American Indy Champ Racing. The racing itself is much more entertaining IMO. This is why Patrick could have easily stayed in that Series and made a lot of money. She was American and Female and that was a very desirable draw for Champ Racing.

INDY Champ Car racing used to be much more popular in the US then NASCAR was so it's not like it's the type of racing. Champ killed itself and as a result, NASCAR benefited by filling the void. That's good for NASCAR but it does not have any direct connection to Patrick. You can't say that if Patrick were such a draw, INDY would be more popular. To many things working against it at this point and none of it draws a correlation to Patrick. However, if you just look at the ratings for NASCAR, you will find that they are shrinking year to year. NASCAR, if nothing changes, has peeked. Why? Because, IMO, the sport is, by and large, a Southern Roots fan base. I understand that it has expanded from that but still, it's more or less a sport that appeals to White Americans who grew up watching it. The same demographics that are in play with elections are, I suspect, in play here as well. You have an increasing population that has fewer and fewer White Men in terms of percentage of viewers. Also, fewer and fewer Americans are actually interested in what's under the hood. NASCAR came from Stock Car Racing and those cars identified with the Fan Base because they were Cars that the Fan could go out and buy. Now, that's not the case so that relationship is leaving the sport. NASCAR has to find a way to gain interest in the sport from minorities and from Women. They can no longer count on just White Males. That is Why Patrick is so important to this sport.

Regardless of what you may think of here skills, she has a ride and I suspect she will continue to have one. Is it the fault of the WR who was paid a huge sum of money to play sub par Football or is it the fault of the Management who gave him the contract? Is it the fault of the Ball Player who is hitting .250 with 10 Dingers or is it the fault of the Club who paid him ridiculous money to play? Is it the fault of the Center who is averaging 8 pts a game, 5 boards, 62% from the line and coming off the bench or is it the fault of the Club who gave him Mega Bucks?

This is her first year in Cup Series and she is going to have some good races and some bad ones. I mean, it's not like every driver in the Series comes in as a Rookie and wins everything. The sport need Patrick and so she is going to get a chance to drive and learn. If she fails, then that's on the owner and the Driver but if she wins, the sport is going to get a huge boast in ratings, sponsorships and Fan Base. It's a little short sighted, IMO, to not want her to succeed, whatever the reason. Only good things can happen for NASCAR if she succeeds.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ABQCOWBOY;5020660 said:
Everything about this post is wrong and I'm going to guess that you don't really follow Indy/Cart/IRL Champ racing right? The ratings in that series have nothing at all to do with Patrick. The problem with that series is that it split into two different series, Indy and Kart. Kart had the majority of money and resources but Indy had the Indy 500 and that is the jewel of the entire series. The split caused a massive schism in the sport and they have not recovered since. It didn't help, at all, that most of the American Drivers in the series left to race in other racing series. The result was a great deal of loss of interest in American Indy Champ Racing. The racing itself is much more entertaining IMO. This is why Patrick could have easily stayed in that Series and made a lot of money. She was American and Female and that was a very desirable draw for Champ Racing.

INDY Champ Car racing used to be much more popular in the US then NASCAR was so it's not like it's the type of racing. Champ killed itself and as a result, NASCAR benefited by filling the void. That's good for NASCAR but it does not have any direct connection to Patrick. You can't say that if Patrick were such a draw, INDY would be more popular. To many things working against it at this point and none of it draws a correlation to Patrick. However, if you just look at the ratings for NASCAR, you will find that they are shrinking year to year. NASCAR, if nothing changes, has peeked. Why? Because, IMO, the sport is, by and large, a Southern Roots fan base. I understand that it has expanded from that but still, it's more or less a sport that appeals to White Americans who grew up watching it. The same demographics that are in play with elections are, I suspect, in play here as well. You have an increasing population that has fewer and fewer White Men in terms of percentage of viewers. Also, fewer and fewer Americans are actually interested in what's under the hood. NASCAR came from Stock Car Racing and those cars identified with the Fan Base because they were Cars that the Fan could go out and buy. Now, that's not the case so that relationship is leaving the sport. NASCAR has to find a way to gain interest in the sport from minorities and from Women. They can no longer count on just White Males. That is Why Patrick is so important to this sport.

Regardless of what you may think of here skills, she has a ride and I suspect she will continue to have one. Is it the fault of the WR who was paid a huge sum of money to play sub par Football or is it the fault of the Management who gave him the contract? Is it the fault of the Ball Player who is hitting .250 with 10 Dingers or is it the fault of the Club who paid him ridiculous money to play? Is it the fault of the Center who is averaging 8 pts a game, 5 boards, 62% from the line and coming off the bench or is it the fault of the Club who gave him Mega Bucks?

This is her first year in Cup Series and she is going to have some good races and some bad ones. I mean, it's not like every driver in the Series comes in as a Rookie and wins everything. The sport need Patrick and so she is going to get a chance to drive and learn. If she fails, then that's on the owner and the Driver but if she wins, the sport is going to get a huge boast in ratings, sponsorships and Fan Base. It's a little short sighted, IMO, to not want her to succeed, whatever the reason. Only good things can happen for NASCAR if she succeeds.

I don't need a history lesson on open wheel racing. I'm aware of the split. I'm also aware it's been the red-headed step child of American auto racing in my lifetime. If Danica Patrick was some huge star she would have attracted far more interest in that racing then she did. It'd be more accurate to call her a sideshow attraction. She needs Nascar far more than Nascar needs her. Because to be a star in auto racing in this country you have to run Nascar. It's as simple at that.

Who said I didn't want her to succeed? I said she does not belong in the Cup series right now and will be a trainwreck this year. She couldn't even handle Nationwide in a top ride last year.

She has a ride because she's a female. That's the attraction. That's what has GoDaddy following her around and letting a guy like Tony Stewart take her on with that sponsorship to create a 3rd team. There are multiple male Nationwide drivers this year that would be light years better in Cup right now than she will be. But they aren't female. They don't have that sideshow attraction.

All the publicity, all the hype, it all stems from the fact she sits down when she pees, not because of her on track performance.

That isn't me hating. It's me being real.

Watch Stenhouse this year. Watch Danica with an unbiased eye. There is no comparison and the final point standings will reflect that. By a large margin.

CowboyDan

Anger is a Gift
Reaction score
Risen Star;5020677 said:
I don't need a history lesson on open wheel racing. I'm aware of the split. I'm also aware it's been the red-headed step child of American auto racing in my lifetime. If Danica Patrick was some huge star she would have attracted far more interest in that racing then she did. It'd be more accurate to call her a sideshow attraction. She needs Nascar far more than Nascar needs her. Because to be a star in auto racing in this country you have to run Nascar. It's as simple at that.

Who said I didn't want her to succeed? I said she does not belong in the Cup series right now and will be a trainwreck this year. She couldn't even handle Nationwide in a top ride last year.

She has a ride because she's a female. That's the attraction. That's what has GoDaddy following her around and letting a guy like Tony Stewart take her on with that sponsorship to create a 3rd team. There are multiple male Nationwide drivers this year that would be light years better in Cup right now than she will be. But they aren't female. They don't have that sideshow attraction.

All the publicity, all the hype, it all stems from the fact she sits down when she pees, not because of her on track performance.

Watch Stenhouse this year. Watch Danica with an unbiased eye. There is no comparison and the final point standings will reflect that. By a large margin.

Riiiiiiight, because no one knew who Danica Patrick was before she raced a Nascar. :rolleyes:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
CowboyDan;5020708 said:
Riiiiiiight, because no one knew who Danica Patrick was before she raced a Nascar. :rolleyes:

You know these teams are just handing out cars to any pretty girl they see. :laugh2:

If they felt she was incapable they would not have put her behind the wheel. No doubt she will have a hard time but she will learn. Where she ends up in the point standing this year is not as important as being able to learn and improve as a driver.

CowboyDan

Anger is a Gift
Reaction score
Now he's comparing her to Stenhouse. My thoughts on Stenhouse are that he should've been offered a cup ride 2 years ago. He is definitely better than Danica. No doubt in my mind. He's better than half of the Cup field also. That doesn't take anything away from Danica's ability at all. I don't think people realize how many truly great drivers we're witnessing compete against each other week in and week out right now. It's pretty amazing and most people just blow it off like it's nothing. We'll look back on this time in motorsports as a special period, but I'm trying to realize it as it's happening. I hope some of you are too. There's a lot of great drivers out there on Sunday right now.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Risen Star;5020677 said:

Have it your way but I can remember when it was more popular. Patrick does not need NASCAR. She had a ride with Rahal Racing and Andretti Autosports. I mean, those are two of the best teams around. She was the most popular driver on the circuit from 2005 to 2010. She could easily go back to that Series if she wanted and she could make more money as well. They pay their drivers more then NASCAR does. You want to call her a sideshow, that's fine with me but it's only a matter of time, IMO, before she is the most popular driver in NASCAR or at least at the top of the list. She doesn't need NASCAR to be a Star. She was a Star long before she ever got to NASCAR so that simple fact pretty much disproves that you have to be in NASCAR.

I'm thinking that the only person who said you didn't want her to succeed is you in the post above. I certainly never said that. What I did say was that you would be foolish not to want her to succeed and you would be foolish not to want her Racing in the Cup Series. There is a great deal more to be gained by having her race in this series then in an a lessor series. NASCAR needs draw now, not a few years from now and she can bring that. I mean, it is what it is.

You may be right, there may be more qualified drivers but then again, that depends on how you look at it. There isn't one driver that could come in, as a rookie, and create the excitement and the draw that she can. Not one. Yeah, she's a women and yeah, a lot of the reason as to why she has a ride is because she's a women but it's not JUST because she's a women. She's an attractive women who happens to be a pretty decent driver as well. You can say she is not but I would not agree with that. She does have skills and she can draw fans to the sport better then any other rookie so no, if you look at it in that light, she can do more with that ride then any other rookie could, by far. The potential is there.

Personally, I don't care how she pees. To me, I look at this thing from a business prospective and I have a very hard time understanding why every single NASCAR fan wouldn't want to see here do really well.

If you were actually being "Real", you would acknowledge the fact that NASCAR's fan appeal is shrinking and that will ultimately hurt the sport. If your a fan of the sport, then I think it's reasonable to assume that you want to see the sport stay healthy. Patrick has the potential to do that for the sport.

I'm glad that you brought up Ricky Stenhouse. He's doing well but if you asked anybody who is not a hard Core NASCAR fan, they probably wouldn't know him from Adam. Patrick on the other hand, even people who don't care about NASCAR know her. That's the difference. She can do what nobody else can do right now. I wonder what Stenhouse would say if you asked him if Patrick deserved to be driving in the Cup Series. I bet he would say she does. I mean, I think they are dating each other so I'm sure he would say stay.

jimmy40

Reaction score
What bothers me the most about Danica or any other woman is that she can do this without any fear of getting punched in the face:
gallery-bristolx-large.jpg

Diogenes

Reaction score
jimmy40;5021461 said:
What bothers me the most about Danica or any other woman is that she can do this without any fear of getting punched in the face:

What did she do that would warrant getting punched in the face?

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;5020977 said:
Have it your way but I can remember when it was more popular. Patrick does not need NASCAR. She had a ride with Rahal Racing and Andretti Autosports. I mean, those are two of the best teams around. She was the most popular driver on the circuit from 2005 to 2010. She could easily go back to that Series if she wanted and she could make more money as well. They pay their drivers more then NASCAR does. You want to call her a sideshow, that's fine with me but it's only a matter of time, IMO, before she is the most popular driver in NASCAR or at least at the top of the list. She doesn't need NASCAR to be a Star. She was a Star long before she ever got to NASCAR so that simple fact pretty much disproves that you have to be in NASCAR.

If you were actually being "Real", you would acknowledge the fact that NASCAR's fan appeal is shrinking and that will ultimately hurt the sport. If your a fan of the sport, then I think it's reasonable to assume that you want to see the sport stay healthy. Patrick has the potential to do that for the sport.

Danica being the most popular driver from 2005-2010 says way more about the sport than it does about her. Think about it. Never having won anything, yet she is the most popular.

Other than the Indy 500 that series has little appeal. And that is because the racing is boring.

Now, if NASCAR NEEDS Danica, they are in trouble also. NASCAR has never recovered from losing Dale Earnhardt. Its not just Dale Sr. but also the fact that the quality of racing has degressed since that time as well.

Danica is good for a series that has lost some of its appeal, but its not the answer. The racing has to improve. Danica will have some lady fans, but if she doesnt do well that will fade some. The gimmicks and other similar things are just icing on the cake. They are temporary, and only beneficial if the overall quality of the sport improves. Dave Marcis and Rick Mast had some fans . . . . . . . . . all drivers have some fans. BUT, drivers who dont run well consistently dont boost the sport in a really meaningful way.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
CowboyDan;5020736 said:
Now he's comparing her to Stenhouse. My thoughts on Stenhouse are that he should've been offered a cup ride 2 years ago. He is definitely better than Danica. No doubt in my mind. He's better than half of the Cup field also. That doesn't take anything away from Danica's ability at all. I don't think people realize how many truly great drivers we're witnessing compete against each other week in and week out right now. It's pretty amazing and most people just blow it off like it's nothing. We'll look back on this time in motorsports as a special period, but I'm trying to realize it as it's happening. I hope some of you are too. There's a lot of great drivers out there on Sunday right now.

There have always been a lot of great drivers, nothing new here.

Its the overall quality of the racing as a whole that is the issue. If Danica wins, her place in the series will be remembered. If she doesnt't, just another driver who comes and goes. She just gets more attention than a lot of the others.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
WPBCowboysFan;5022532 said:
Danica being the most popular driver from 2005-2010 says way more about the sport than it does about her. Think about it. Never having won anything, yet she is the most popular.

Other than the Indy 500 that series has little appeal. And that is because the racing is boring.

Now, if NASCAR NEEDS Danica, they are in trouble also. NASCAR has never recovered from losing Dale Earnhardt. Its not just Dale Sr. but also the fact that the quality of racing has degressed since that time as well.

Danica is good for a series that has lost some of its appeal, but its not the answer. The racing has to improve. Danica will have some lady fans, but if she doesnt do well that will fade some. The gimmicks and other similar things are just icing on the cake. They are temporary, and only beneficial if the overall quality of the sport improves. Dave Marcis and Rick Mast had some fans . . . . . . . . . all drivers have some fans. BUT, drivers who dont run well consistently dont boost the sport in a really meaningful way.

It's a different kind of racing but it's not boring. I don't love road racing nearly as much as I do Oval Racing but that's their thing. Regardless, she has an appeal and for whatever reason, she is able to sustain it. She is good for NASCAR and if she can manage to win, she will be the best thing NASCAR has had since Dale Sr. was winning.

I think NASCAR knows this too.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;5022563 said:
It's a different kind of racing but it's not boring. I don't love road racing nearly as much as I do Oval Racing but that's their thing. Regardless, she has an appeal and for whatever reason, she is able to sustain it. She is good for NASCAR and if she can manage to win, she will be the best thing NASCAR has had since Dale Sr. was winning.

NASCAR needs a star. A driver that has "IT." No driver has had, nor has "IT" since Dale Sr. was killed. We have winners, but not with "IT." Combine that with the cookie cutter tracks and lack of the kind of racing that made NASCAR popular and the sport suffers.

Personally I find the road racing better than the racing on the cookie cutter tracks. The cookie cutter tracks racing sucks for the most part.

I think we all agree NASCAR is lacking and needs something. Is it Danica? Possible, but its a long shot.

I hear more and more people who have lost interest with NASCAR. And so far, Danica doesnt seem to be enough to win them back as diehards.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
WPBCowboysFan;5022639 said:
NASCAR needs a star. A driver that has "IT." No driver has had, nor has "IT" since Dale Sr. was killed. We have winners, but not with "IT." Combine that with the cookie cutter tracks and lack of the kind of racing that made NASCAR popular and the sport suffers.

Personally I find the road racing better than the racing on the cookie cutter tracks. The cookie cutter tracks racing sucks for the most part.

I think we all agree NASCAR is lacking and needs something. Is it Danica? Possible, but its a long shot.

I hear more and more people who have lost interest with NASCAR. And so far, Danica doesnt seem to be enough to win them back as diehards.

I do agree with you that if Patrick doesn't have success in NASCAR, she will not help it. That's the gamble that is being taken right now. To be honest with you, I don't even think she really has to win. I think if she runs at the front and is in contention, a lot of fans will tune in just to support her.

The whole Patrick thing is interesting to me. I suspect that fans want to see her do well but I don't really know if they would demand that she beats everybody. It might actually be another one of those "Because shes a girl" things, I don't know. However, I get the sense that people may not demand that of her, just to tune in.

The same kind of way you might watch your little Sister race with your younger Brothers? You know that she isn't going to beat them all but you like to see her in there scrapping and maybe beat some of them. Kinda makes you smile if you know what I mean. It might be that same kind of thing.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;5022704 said:
I do agree with you that if Patrick doesn't have success in NASCAR, she will not help it. That's the gamble that is being taken right now. To be honest with you, I don't even think she really has to win. I think if she runs at the front and is in contention, a lot of fans will tune in just to support her.

The whole Patrick thing is interesting to me. I suspect that fans want to see her do well but I don't really know if they would demand that she beats everybody. It might actually be another one of those "Because shes a girl" things, I don't know. However, I get the sense that people may not demand that of her, just to tune in.

The same kind of way you might watch your little Sister race with your younger Brothers? You know that she isn't going to beat them all but you like to see her in there scrapping and maybe beat some of them. Kinda makes you smile if you know what I mean. It might be that same kind of thing.

I think if she can get a win it would garner some added interest. It would also be beaten to death and people might get sick of an endless barrage of it.

What would be good is if she got a rivalry gong with another driver. She wouldnt have to win, just provide some spirited competition. Driver rivalries are always good.

burmafrd

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;5022563 said:

roll my eyes at those that think Indy Is boring. Indy is older then Nascar X 2 and is still around. Not as popular but that is because those that run that league have their heads up their rear ends.

WPB thinks his opinions are facts. Which is kind of funny.

CowboyDan

Anger is a Gift
Reaction score
In a completely off topic note, I hope you guys caught the Grand Am race at Austin earlier this month.........Wow, what a race! I'm pretty sure the full race is on youtube too if you're so inclined. It's definitely worth watching.

[youtube]QUgojfHItzo[/youtube]

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WPBCowboysFan;5022639 said:

NASCAR doesn't "need" DP and DP doesn't "need" NASCAR.

NASCAR needs more Martinsvilles, Bristols, Dovers etc. and real side by side, banging racing. The tracks (cookie cutter) that they have created were created with $ involved and long story short, $ is.... and cookie cutter tracks are, hurting NASCAR more than any one driver is.

There is NOTHING more boring than watching cars go in circles on these new tracks - it's brutal. I have been watching NASCAR since 1970, it's pretty much at an all time low for me and the only way I can stomach it - is by being in a NASCAR fantasy league.

It certainly doesn't help when you have drivers acting like robots in interviews - pretty much because they have to.. per their sponsors - - again...........$.

The NFL is not far behind FWIW.