Daniel Jeremiah Mock 1.0 - Wentz at 4

Western

Reaction score
Tapping the brakes with all this Wentz talk.

The guy played 1 year and half as a starter in the FCS ~ the quality of the defenses he confronted is substantial lower than the other QB's who competed at the FBS level.
His ability to read defenses, adjust to the blitz schemes, check out & audible at the line of scrimmage, etc. should be highly scrutinized since the quality of competition he encountered was in my opinion, deficient.

It is not so much if he possessed all-star talent on the offensive side of the ball.
Even if he had all-star FBS WR's RB's, etc., the nature/speed/complexity of the FCS defenses is inferior to FBS schools - especially projecting him as a starter in the NFL.

At least Tony Romo & Steve McNair were all-star award winners at the FCS level, with both winning the Walter Payton Award.
Even Jimmy Garoppolo won that award was drafted at the end of the 2nd round.

Some serious overvaluation of his stock.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Talk about all over the place......And to think this guy actually follows football for a living....:omg:

He's got 8 guys in that mock that I don't think go in the 1st round......

Eli Apple - CB, Ohio State
Sheldon Rankins - DT, Louisville
Hunter Henry - TE, Arkansas
Vernon Butler - DT, Louisiana Tech
Kyler Fackrell - LB, Utah State
Ryan Kelly - C, Alabama
Karl Joseph - S, West Virginia
Kevin Dodd - DE, Clemson

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
Dodd is a monster. I watched him play many games. Dude is often unblockable. He is a lock for round 1, especially after how he played against Bama.
Talk about all over the place......And to think this guy actually follows football for a living....:omg:

Ryan Kelly - C, Alabama
Kevin Dodd - DE, Clemson

Sydla

Reaction score

Ryan Kelly - C, Alabama
Kevin Dodd - DE, Clemson

Definitely a bizarre draft.

Apple above guys like Mackenzie, Hargreaves, Treadwell, Stanley?

reddyuta

Reaction score

The guy played 1 year and half as a starter in the FCS ~ the quality of the defenses he confronted is substantial lower than the other QB's who competed at the FBS level.
His ability to read defenses, adjust to the blitz schemes, check out & audible at the line of scrimmage, etc. should be highly scrutinized since the quality of competition he encountered was in my opinion, deficient.

It is not so much if he possessed all-star talent on the offensive side of the ball.
Even if he had all-star FBS WR's RB's, etc., the nature/speed/complexity of the FCS defenses is inferior to FBS schools - especially projecting him as a starter in the NFL.

At least Tony Romo & Steve McNair were all-star award winners at the FCS level, with both winning the Walter Payton Award.

Quite fair critique.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

Because people that are "overevaluating" him are looking at what he is physically capable of.

Physically he checks every box. Maybe his competitors didn't but he does.

The same questions I have about him coming into the league I would have about any QB.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Dodd is a monster. I watched him play many games. Dude is often unblockable. He is a lock for round 1, especially after how he played against Bama.

I see a guy who benefited immensely from playing on a very talented defensive line with Lawson. Dodd did nothing in five games last season. He rarely had to go against anything but a tackle straight up. He is a guy riding a wave of positivity after his bowl performance and could potentially test very high at the combine. He definitely has potential, but I don't know if I would take him in the first as deep as the defensive line talent is in this draft.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
I see a guy who benefited immensely from playing on a very talented defensive line with Lawson. Dodd did nothing in five games last season. He rarely had to go against anything but a tackle straight up. He is a guy riding a wave of positivity after his bowl performance and could potentially test very high at the combine. He definitely has potential, but I don't know if I would take him in the first as deep as the defensive line talent is in this draft.

I didnt say I wanted to draft him. Just saying he passed the eye test every game I watched.

Coy

Reaction score
Wentz sitting behind Romo for 2-3 years maybe isn’t such a bad idea.
With Romo starting, We probably won’t get a top 5 pick anytime soon, and maybe not even a top 20 pick, so I wouldn´t be against it.
If he ends up being a franchise QB, it won´t matter if you got him at pick #4

Although I don´t know much about him, I´ve seen all the “experts” raving about this kid, so I don´t think he gets out of the 1st round.
Look at the 4 QB´s starting next weekend, 3 number 1 picks and Tom Brady, this league is all about the QB, I´d take the chance.

StylisticS

Reaction score
I don't think Wentz will last to the latter 1st round. If he shows out in the senior bowl and combine (is he participating), I can definitely see mid 1st rounder. Him lasting to the 2nd round is about dead. I like no QB after Wentz, Goff, and Lynch.

tm1119

Reaction score
People who post things like "worst mock ever" in January crack me up. Fact is that no one has any clue where the vast majority of these players are going now, calling it educated guessing is probably even generous. Jeremiah and others who put out a mock this early are probably obligated to do it by their employers. Any mock done by anybody doesn't mean crap until at least March if you ask me.

RS12

Reaction score
I am not saying it would happen but two things to remember. 1) The league is desperate for QB talent so they get over drafted every year. 2) Jeremiah is one of the better connected draft talking heads. I will be interested to see if his Myles Killebrew prediction of running a 4.4 and sneaking into the first round happen.