Daniel Jeremiah Mock 1.0 - Wentz at 4

bodi

Reaction score
I don't think Wentz will last to the latter 1st round. If he shows out in the senior bowl and combine (is he participating), I can definitely see mid 1st rounder. Him lasting to the 2nd round is about dead. I like no QB after Wentz, Goff, and Lynch.

he won't get past 15 the Rams

The Cowboys will get a chance to coach Wentz at the Senior Bowl and I think they'll fall in love with him

I hope so I think he will be the best of the top three

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
lol. All these "OMG terrible mock" posts remind me of a few years ago when I was destroyed for mocking Aaron Donald to Dallas in the 1st round. "No way, he'll be there in the 2nd or 3rd" turned into "trade down into the 1st to get him", to "take him at #16", to "we need to trade up for Donald".

AzorAhai

Reaction score
I see a guy who benefited immensely from playing on a very talented defensive line with Lawson. Dodd did nothing in five games last season. He rarely had to go against anything but a tackle straight up. He is a guy riding a wave of positivity after his bowl performance and could potentially test very high at the combine. He definitely has potential, but I don't know if I would take him in the first as deep as the defensive line talent is in this draft.
Isn't he going to be 24 soon also? That's going to be a major knock for some teams if so.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Wentz is his #1 rated QB and the number 7 overall player in his top 50. Daniels tweeted earlier in the month that Wentz is not climbing up draft boards but he's already there near the top of actual NFL boards.

It's going to be interesting over the next few months as to who the NFL thinks is the best QB in this class.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

Some random on youtube making the Andrew Luck comparison like myself.

The zip and accuracy he gets on those sideline throws is pretty crazy.

If im the Cowboys there is no way im passing on this guy.

If he busts then I can live with that but you won't find a QB that is the total package like this very often.

Last edited:

IAmLegend

Reaction score
Tapping the brakes with all this Wentz talk.

The guy played 1 year and half as a starter in the FCS ~ the quality of the defenses he confronted is substantial lower than the other QB's who competed at the FBS level.
His ability to read defenses, adjust to the blitz schemes, check out & audible at the line of scrimmage, etc. should be highly scrutinized since the quality of competition he encountered was in my opinion, deficient.

It is not so much if he possessed all-star talent on the offensive side of the ball.
Even if he had all-star FBS WR's RB's, etc., the nature/speed/complexity of the FCS defenses is inferior to FBS schools - especially projecting him as a starter in the NFL.

At least Tony Romo & Steve McNair were all-star award winners at the FCS level, with both winning the Walter Payton Award.
Even Jimmy Garoppolo won that award was drafted at the end of the 2nd round.

Some serious overvaluation of his stock.

This^. The love fest is getting a bit ridiculous.

pjtoadie

Well known member
Reaction score
I don't think Wentz will last to the latter 1st round. If he shows out in the senior bowl and combine (is he participating), I can definitely see mid 1st rounder. Him lasting to the 2nd round is about dead. I like no QB after Wentz, Goff, and Lynch.

I agree...I want us to get one of those 3.

texbumthelife

Reaction score

Some random on youtube making the Andrew Luck comparison like myself.

The zip and accuracy he gets on those sideline throws is pretty crazy.

If im the Cowboys there is no way im passing on this guy.

If he busts then I can live with that but you won't find a QB that is the total package like this very often.

He has a live arm, but I don't think his arm talent is necessarily anything special. In Garrett's offense, execution is more about placement and timing, which is why I can understand the argument for Goff.

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
Tapping the brakes with all this Wentz talk.

The guy played 1 year and half as a starter in the FCS ~ the quality of the defenses he confronted is substantial lower than the other QB's who competed at the FBS level.
His ability to read defenses, adjust to the blitz schemes, check out & audible at the line of scrimmage, etc. should be highly scrutinized since the quality of competition he encountered was in my opinion, deficient.

It is not so much if he possessed all-star talent on the offensive side of the ball.
Even if he had all-star FBS WR's RB's, etc., the nature/speed/complexity of the FCS defenses is inferior to FBS schools - especially projecting him as a starter in the NFL.

At least Tony Romo & Steve McNair were all-star award winners at the FCS level, with both winning the Walter Payton Award.
Even Jimmy Garoppolo won that award was drafted at the end of the 2nd round.

Some serious overvaluation of his stock.

You might be right....but let see how he performs at the Senior Bowl, and Combine before we just throw this kid out with the bath water....

tm1119

Reaction score

Wether you love him or not you can't argue that worse QB's have been taken in the top 20 then Wentz. Ponder? Manuel? Locker? Gabbert?

Personally I have him 3rd and gaining on Lynch (senior bowl will determine) for 2nd with Goff entrenched as the #1 QB. But won't surprise me 1 bit if all go top 15.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
If Wentz is the guy and best available I have no problem with taking him at 4.......I feel he isn't 4th best though but let's see senior bowl, combine and pro day first

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
Did anyone watch the game against Jacksonville State? His numbers were pretty awful. 55% completion, 197 yards, 6.8 average, 1 TD, 2 INT. He did run 9 times for 79 yards and 2 TDs but I could care less about how he is as a runner.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
He has a live arm, but I don't think his arm talent is necessarily anything special. In Garrett's offense, execution is more about placement and timing, which is why I can understand the argument for Goff.

Garrett needs a QB who can make plays and improvise outside of his system like Romo has consistently done for years.

We do so much downfield that I would just hate to see us get a guy who can do nothing but hang in the pocket. Garrett would ruin a player like that.

Goff can move a little in the pocket so I think he could get away with it but Wentz just has so much potential that if I thought I could coach at all I'd have to take Wentz over all these guys.

1 more thing about Wentz.. You see him playing under center and being comfortable doing it.. You don't see that much anymore with Rookie QBs.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

I don't get why you guys are so caught up on his competition when his talent absolutely jumps off the screen.

Forget his competition.

6'6 QBs that are mobile, can run, accurate, and have big arms don't come around very often.

You make the pick and you let a beast of a talent sit behind Romo and learn from him for 2 or 3 years.

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
Which one is smarter? Which one loves football? Which one will be the first at practice and last to leave? That's what separates QBs