DanTheMan 2015 Draft Film Review

tm1119

Reaction score
Mike Davis ran a 4.38 40 at his Pro Day.

So he's like a 4.48 guy....still good for a guy his size. Impressive. He's looking better and better to me. Provided we don't have a certain #28 in our backfield of course.

dantheman41

Reaction score
Damarious Randall (S) Arizona State 5'11 196

Positives:
Can line up and play slot or outside corner. Playmaker. Every game I watched he either had an interception, recovered a fumble, or forced a fumble. Tends to be at the right place at the right time. Shows all the physical traits you want in a safety. Reads QB's very nicely. Really good eyes. Will close on receiver very quickly. Can play as a single high or in a cover 2. Effective blitzer. Outstanding awareness. Outstanding in every phase of special teams. Does not get easily fooled on play fakes.

Negatives: Can be out muscled at point of attack in run game. Not always a great wrap up tackler, goes too high way too much. Will get a little overaggressive at times trying to make a play on the ball. Will occasionally take a really bad angle on a run.

Comparison and Where He Fits on Our Team: Really like what I am seeing. I see why the Cowboys are taking a liking to this player. He is an immediate contributor to our team. Excellent special teams player, and probably would instantly be our best cover safety on team. Nice complement to Church or Wilcox. Will allow them to play closer to line of scrimmage while he plays more of a center field role. Best word to describe this kid is PLAYMAKER!

dantheman41

Reaction score
Melvin Gordon (RB) Arizona State 6'1 215

Positives:
Deceptive speed that can easily turn the corner and go. Outstanding ability to juke and make opposing players whiff. Makes it very difficult for defensive players to get a clean tackle on him. Shows ability to be a good receiver. Sneaky player, can't always find where he is. Does a good job staying low and square. Excellent motor, will give you everything he's got every play.

Negatives: Goes down a little too easily when hitting the hole. More of a East West runner then North South, generally doesn't work as well in NFL. Blitz pickup and pass protection needs work, terrible technique at times. Not going to fall forward or get those extra yards like we are accustomed to with Murray. Has ball security issues at times. Doesn't do anything GREAT. Not overly fast, physical, or as a receiver.

Comparison and Where He Fits on Our Team: Looks and plays so similarly to Jamaal Charles with a little less explosion and receiving ability. Really good player, just not sure I see an elite RB in the NFL to take him in the 1st round. When you watched him against Ohio State who had a good defensive front, he really struggled getting yards up the middle. Wouldn't use a 1st on him.

dantheman41

Reaction score
Jay Ajayi (RB) Boise State 6'0 221

Positives:
Outstanding balance, stays on his feet. Big frame, physical player. Really hard to get him on the ground, will fight through tackles every step of the way. Rarely will get brought down by first guy. Outstanding receiver, knows how to use his body to shield defenders. Will take the big hits and pop right back up. He's like a freight train once he gets going and possesses really good long speed, will not track him down in the open field. Played some of his best games against the best competition. Really good in short yardage situations.

Negatives: Plays a little reckless and all over the place. More quick then fast, takes him a little bit to get going. Inconsistent with his blocking, at times he's good and others he plays WAY too high.

Comparison and Where He Fits on Our Team: WOW! Very impressed by the player. Mel Kiper is crazy to think this is a mid round player. I like him better then Coleman or Gordon. Total package, and only going to get better. Would love getting this guy in the 2nd round.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Doubt Coleman falls. To the 3rd, but I'd love him there.
Really, I like him better in the 2nd than Gordon in the 1st

Yes Ajayi is good. Probably gone by our 2nd round pick. If there, maybe he's the guy.

Earlier comments on Yeldon or some of the others in the 3rd or 4th also make sense.

Lots of choices

dantheman41

Reaction score
Doubt Coleman falls. To the 3rd, but I'd love him there.
Really, I like him better in the 2nd than Gordon in the 1st

Yes Ajayi is good. Probably gone by our 2nd round pick. If there, maybe he's the guy.

Earlier comments on Yeldon or some of the others in the 3rd or 4th also make sense.

Lots of choices

Absolutely! Don't need to panic and take 1st rounder

DBOY3141

Reaction score
Damarious Randall (S) Arizona State 5'11 196

Positives:
Can line up and play slot or outside corner. Playmaker. Every game I watched he either had an interception, recovered a fumble, or forced a fumble. Tends to be at the right place at the right time. Shows all the physical traits you want in a safety. Reads QB's very nicely. Really good eyes. Will close on receiver very quickly. Can play as a single high or in a cover 2. Effective blitzer. Outstanding awareness. Outstanding in every phase of special teams. Does not get easily fooled on play fakes.

Negatives: Can be out muscled at point of attack in run game. Not always a great wrap up tackler, goes too high way too much. Will get a little overaggressive at times trying to make a play on the ball. Will occasionally take a really bad angle on a run.

Comparison and Where He Fits on Our Team: Really like what I am seeing. I see why the Cowboys are taking a liking to this player. He is an immediate contributor to our team. Excellent special teams player, and probably would instantly be our best cover safety on team. Nice complement to Church or Wilcox. Will allow them to play closer to line of scrimmage while he plays more of a center field role. Best word to describe this kid is PLAYMAKER!

Mayock said he was the best cover safety in the draft.

starfrombirth

Reaction score
Jay Ajayi (RB) Boise State 6'0 221

Positives:
Outstanding balance, stays on his feet. Big frame, physical player. Really hard to get him on the ground, will fight through tackles every step of the way. Rarely will get brought down by first guy. Outstanding receiver, knows how to use his body to shield defenders. Will take the big hits and pop right back up. He's like a freight train once he gets going and possesses really good long speed, will not track him down in the open field. Played some of his best games against the best competition. Really good in short yardage situations.

Negatives: Plays a little reckless and all over the place. More quick then fast, takes him a little bit to get going. Inconsistent with his blocking, at times he's good and others he plays WAY too high.

Comparison and Where He Fits on Our Team: WOW! Very impressed by the player. Mel Kiper is crazy to think this is a mid round player. I like him better then Coleman or Gordon. Total package, and only going to get better. Would love getting this guy in the 2nd round.

If I can make some addendum's to this.... He is very quick thru the hole. People have made comments about him being an east-west runner but I don't see it. He was routinely getting smashed by 2-3 defenders in the backfield. He ran east-west when there wasn't a hole but quickly got upfield when it opened up. He isn't afraid of contact but looks to find the crease to get more yardage... has better vision at this point than Murray ever had... just sayin. I didn't see "the little bit to get going" part. What I say was him tracking down the line to try and find a crease but then exploded thru it when given the chance.

This is the first time I've taken a look at him and to be honest.... I like him for us a lot. Waaaay better than Coleman. Coleman looks like he's struggling to not fall down when he runs. He doesn't have burst or power either.

btcutter

Reaction score
Mayock said he was the best cover safety in the draft.

Is that saying a lot in this safety class?

Also I've listened to Giants and Phili podcast (ran out of Cowboy pod casts) and they are all interested in him as well. Both teams desperately need DB help.

dantheman41

Reaction score
Byron Jones (CB) Connecticut 6'0 199

Positives:
Huge ceiling! Has all the physical traits you looks for in a corner. Height, length, speed. Plays very physical on the line, always gets his hands on receiver. Very competitive player, will fight every catch. Outstanding backpedal and ability to mirror opposing receiver. Experience playing both right and left corner. Team captain, outstanding off the field locker room guy. Have seen play both zone and man successful and look comfortable playing both. Will frustrate receivers and battle all day. Not afraid to make the tackle. Really good closing speed and ball awareness. Has experience playing some safety as well.

Negatives: Gets overly physical at times, lot of penalties. Will get beat by the comeback type of routes, drags and stops. Occasionally gets a little over aggressive to try to make a play on the ball. No experience playing slot. Poor form when making tackles, goes too high. Didn't play against the best of competitions on a week in week out basis.

Comparison and Where He Fits on Our Team: Like the player a lot. Would not mind one bit if he is the pick in first round. If he continues to get coached up he can be the best corner in draft. Right now, I would probably have him 3rd or 4th.

dantheman41

Reaction score
If I can make some addendum's to this.... He is very quick thru the hole. People have made comments about him being an east-west runner but I don't see it. He was routinely getting smashed by 2-3 defenders in the backfield. He ran east-west when there wasn't a hole but quickly got upfield when it opened up. He isn't afraid of contact but looks to find the crease to get more yardage... has better vision at this point than Murray ever had... just sayin. I didn't see "the little bit to get going" part. What I say was him tracking down the line to try and find a crease but then exploded thru it when given the chance.

This is the first time I've taken a look at him and to be honest.... I like him for us a lot. Waaaay better than Coleman. Coleman looks like he's struggling to not fall down when he runs. He doesn't have burst or power either.

Yeah I agree. Love the player.

dantheman41

Reaction score
TJ Yeldon (RB) Alabama 6'0 225

Positives:
Outstanding vision, always sees the holes. Tough runner, will rarely go down from first hit. One of best pass protectors, saw him lay out quite a few linebackers. Really good receiver. Can pick up the tough yards. Outstanding cuts and moves, very shifty. Rarely loses yards. Deceptively quick. Really good feet.

Negatives: Fumble issues. At times, can dance a little too much. Not great at anything. Injury concerns constantly at Alabama.

Comparison and Where He Fits on Our Team: Like his tape a lot. But I worry about his injury issues, can he handle a full workload season in and season out? Alabama didn't seem to think so. I would take him with our 2nd round pick apprehensively. Not 100% convinced he can carry the workload. But HUGE talent.

dantheman41

Reaction score
Frank Clark (DE) Michigan 6'3 270

Positives:
Excellent ability to find the QB. Knows how to convert speed to power. Really really powerful man. Will dominate a tackle if left on an island. Shows a variety of pass rush moves. Can play both RE and LE. Gets his hands on a lot of balls. An understanding of how to play the run, does it really well. Very stout lower body, rarely gets pushed back. Plays with a real nastiness to his game.

Negatives:
Not overly explosive. Major off the field issues. Needs to continue to develop and refine his pass rush skills.

Comparison and Where He Fits on Our Team: Really good football player. If his off the field issues aren't too much, he can be a steal. If this guy is around in the 5th round, I would be really really shocked. Someone will take the risk. He can be a starter in this league, not a doubt in my mind.

Woods

Reaction score
TJ Yeldon (RB) Alabama 6'0 225

Positives:
Outstanding vision, always sees the holes. Tough runner, will rarely go down from first hit. One of best pass protectors, saw him lay out quite a few linebackers. Really good receiver. Can pick up the tough yards. Outstanding cuts and moves, very shifty. Rarely loses yards. Deceptively quick. Really good feet.

Negatives: Fumble issues. At times, can dance a little too much. Not great at anything. Injury concerns constantly at Alabama.

Comparison and Where He Fits on Our Team: Like his tape a lot. But I worry about his injury issues, can he handle a full workload season in and season out? Alabama didn't seem to think so. I would take him with our 2nd round pick apprehensively. Not 100% convinced he can carry the workload. But HUGE talent.

Dan, if you had to rank your favorite 4-5 RBs in this year's Draft, in what order would you put them?

Woods

Reaction score
Clark is very intriguing

Cowboys brought him in for a visit. Depending on what their information/due diligence says, I would possibly go as high as our 3rd rounder. Definitely a risk, but that's why the Cowboys did their homework on him. I don't think he will be there in the 5th round either, as per Dantheman.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So he's like a 4.48 guy....still good for a guy his size. Impressive. He's looking better and better to me. Provided we don't have a certain #28 in our backfield of course.

I'm a big fan of Mike Davis, but I'm sure that he lost weight to improve his speed. It's often hard to find the actual weight of players at their Pro Day if they were also at the combine because most sites just use the combine number, but I think I saw a quote from him about losing weight.