DantheMan 2016 Draft Thread

AzorAhai

Reaction score
I agree. I think he could drop into the deep second and wouldn't be surprised if he goes in the third. However, I think the Heisman will help him to get picked higher than he normally would.

Henry and Nkemdiche are the two top prospects I expect to drop in the draft.

Obviously J. Smith is now on that list, but I actually think Stanley may drop lower than a lot of people are currently projecting him. I may be wrong here, but I see a mid 1st Rd guy when I watch him. I actually like Conklin a little better than him honestly. Outside of those 4 though, I think the talent gap between tiers this season will limit a lot of the higher rated guys from falling too far.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
Hey guys, want to start a new draft thread and start reviewing these players ASAP. Really excited about this. Going to start with QB's first. Mod's if you can please sticky this. Any input or players you guys want me to review?

Will hopefully get to even more then in previous years because I am starting early.

====================

MOD EDIT : Please keep this thread on topic. DantheMan is being helpful and giving his own evaluations of players in the draft. This thread does not need littered with topics of personal arguments, the perceived strategy of Jerry when it comes to drafting, arguments about the scouting staff or other arguments that take away from the main topic of player evaluations. Now if you happen to have a different opinion on a draft evaluation, that is ok to discuss as long as it is within in the rules and does not turn into a long winded personal argument. Posts that run off topic will be deleted in this thread with no further warning.

Thanks for the effort, DTM.

Sydla

Reaction score
Obviously J. Smith is now on that list, but I actually think Stanley may drop lower than a lot of people are currently projecting him. I may be wrong here, but I see a mid 1st Rd guy when I watch him. I actually like Conklin a little better than him honestly. Outside of those 4 though, I think the talent gap between tiers this season will limit a lot of the higher rated guys from falling too far.

Not sure about Conklin versus Stanley. Conklin was battling some injuries, but a lot of what I read was that he had a real up and down season, even moreso than Stanley. Although from our perspective, it probably doesn't matter. We aren't taking an OT in the first round anyway.

But a team might pay to move into thta 4th spot and take say Stanley.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Not certain if this is the right thread for my opinion, or even the right messageboard (sometimes), but here goes.

Paxton Lynch

I am intrigued by this guy. Read option doesn't scare me. Nor does the shotgun formation. He reminds me of Kaepernick to a degree, but the velocity on his passes is phenomenal.

At the 1:29 mark, they do a double reverse pass. He is standing on his own 41 yard line and throws it four yards deep into the endzone. The oen at the other end of the field. Now correct me if I am wrong, but he doesn't look like he winds up for a Hail Mary. That was a 60-yard pass that dropped right over the shoulder of the receiver.

I'd also like to come away with a stud running back and a stud WR. Maybe asking too much but this team needs to lean on Dez with competition and get his head screwed back on right. Along with another threat to score.

That pass was 62 yards in the air and he didn't even wind up, he did that off a pitch back from the WR.................Amazing arm strength!!!!!!

dallasdave

Reaction score
Well...Karl Joseph was injured early in the season and it was a season ending injury so I don't know who much tape you would have on him from this year but at the time of his injury he was leading in INTs. But there should be plenty of tape on him from previous years.

Get that WVU guy !!! Would look good with a star on his helmet :yourock:

dantheman41

Reaction score
Devontae Booker RB - 5'11 212lbs (Utah)

Positives: Has a lot of wiggle to his game, very difficult to get two hands on him. Makes guys frequently miss in open field. Uses an array of moves outstandingly. His change of direction is the best I've seen. Noticed his vision right away, shows a willingness to cut back and find another lane if nothing open. Lot of experience in the receiving game as well and shows nice ability to catch the ball. Good in pass protection, but not a ton of experience in. Good acceleration, once he sees the opening he goes.

Negatives:
Has had some injury concerns with his knee that needs to be checked out. Not incredibly strong or powerful, not going to push the pocket or get that extra yard. Not a straight ahead back, a little bit of a dancer. Not top tier acceleration, but well above average.

Where He Fits and My Opinion:
Good player. Someone we should definitely get an eye on in the 3rd and 4th rounds. Just want to make sure medically he doesn't have any issues going forward. He needs to continue to be develop, but has some really nice qualities to work with.

egn22

Reaction score
Dan The Man....
Can you please do a write up for A'shawn Robinson DT from Bama?

canters

Reaction score
That pass was 62 yards in the air and he didn't even wind up, he did that off a pitch back from the WR.................Amazing arm strength!!!!!!

I cannot help but see some Roger Staubach in Lynch--maybe it is the #12. But look at that pump fake and the throwing motion when he goes long.....give me chills. Does Roger have some grandsons we do not know about?

Cowboy from New York

Reaction score
Ezekiel Elliott RB - 6'0 225lbs (Ohio State)

Positives: Very physical player who likes contact. Outstanding in blitz pickups and in open field blocking down the field. Shows really nice patience before bursting through hall. Great vision tends to always find the right lane. Very powerful lower half, ankle or lower leg tackles very rarely work. Breaks so many open field tackles. Always falls forward and fights for the extra yard. Shows nice soft hands in the passing game. Just an absolute handful to have to deal with.
Negatives: Doesn't have that extra gear in the open field, don't get me wrong he is fast and explosive but I've seen caught from behind quite few times. Can sometimes get in trouble when he tries going backwards and getting cute, and doesn't possess a ton of elusiveness more of a power back.
Where He Fits and My Opinion: Explosive open field player. More FAST then quick. Takes a second to get going. An all-around back that we could desperately use. Doesn't have a ton of weaknesses that I noticed. Be a great addition to our team.

How would you rate/rank Elliott vs Gurley in a same draft class situation?

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I cannot help but see some Roger Staubach in Lynch--maybe it is the #12. But look at that pump fake and the throwing motion when he goes long.....give me chills. Does Roger have some grandsons we do not know about?

Man, I would love to get this kid at 4 and give him a couple of seasons to sit and learn from Romo

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
RB Wendell Smallwood WVU. Did not add his name earlier as I thought he was going to stay. Oddly enough as a part time RB, he led the big 12 in rushing at RB.

This would not be what I would consider a first rounder type of RB.

However I could see him being taken later in the draft if we did not address the RB earlier.

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
Dan Knowing, or not knowing what Marrinelli wants with a 1-tech. Could you do a few evaluations on some of the DT's coming out this year ? Robinson, Billings, Rankin etc.
Thanks man ...

dantheman41

Reaction score
Not sure about Conklin versus Stanley. Conklin was battling some injuries, but a lot of what I read was that he had a real up and down season, even moreso than Stanley. Although from our perspective, it probably doesn't matter. We aren't taking an OT in the first round anyway.

But a team might pay to move into thta 4th spot and take say Stanley.

Absolutely...

dantheman41

Reaction score
Dan Knowing, or not knowing what Marrinelli wants with a 1-tech. Could you do a few evaluations on some of the DT's coming out this year ? Robinson, Billings, Rankin etc.
Thanks man ...

Of course! Looking forward to that!

dantheman41

Reaction score
Alex Collins RB - 5'11 215lbs (Arkansas)

Positives: All around back with nice size. Outstanding, quick feet with the ability to make such quick and subtle movements to create lanes and space. Always keeps his legs moving. Gets out of piles and somehow picks up yards. Very rarely will get stopped for a yard or two. Very impressed by his acceleration and explosiveness. Really really good in the open field, almost impossible for defensive backs to get both hands on him.

Negatives:
Not a lot experience in pass protection, and when he does, he looks shaky. Would like to see him be more physical. Isn't going to push the pile on on short yardage situations. Like to see him catch more balls, seems like every time he goes out QB never looks at him.

Very impressed as a whole. Good all around back. I would take Collins before Henry. Not as physical, but more explosive, and shows lot of really good qualities I think could work in next level. 2nd round player in my view.

tm1119

Reaction score
Check out Paul Perkins when you get a chance. Not the most complete back, but he's a home run hitter. Reminds me of Jamaal Charles a little

dantheman41

Reaction score
Wendall Smallwood RB - 5'11 203lbs (West Virginia)

Positives: Numbers speak for themselves, he ran for over 1500 yards. He also caught a ton of balls, and showed ability to line up as a receiver in the passing game. Similar style player to Dunbar. For being a small guy, he likes to play physical and shows the will to block both in pass protection and down the field for his teammates. Even though he's small he averaged about 19 carries a game, so he shows he can handle a lot more then a few carries a game. Showed ability to be an explosive returner his freshman year.

Negatives:
His size is evident on tape, gets tackled behind the line of scrimmage very easily at times. Very rarely will break a tackle. Will not push the pile forward. Probably not an every day player at the next level. At times I saw explosion, other times he looked just average in his explosiveness. Kinda like how Felix Jones was.

Only was able to find 1 game. He can certainly carve out a role at the next level in the Dunbar role. Is he better then Dunbar? From the game I saw, probably not. Nonetheless, a good football player that can probably find a role on any team in the later rounds. Between special teams and as a 3rd running back.

dantheman41

Reaction score
Paul Perkins RB - 5'11 198lbs (UCLA)

Positives: Has an outstanding stutter step that frequently freezes defenders. Rarely goes down upon initial contact, for a smaller guy he breaks a TON of tackles. Very slippery. Is a fighter, will fight for every yard. Really good vision always looking downfield.

Negatives:
Doesn't possess the size of an every down back. Above average athleticism and quickness, not elite by any means. Looks lost in pass protection at times, completely whiffs. Don't see him catch a lot of balls. Doesn't do anything great or spectacular. Not great in short yardage situations.

Disappointed actually. Was expecting more. Don't see a guy that doesn't anything special or exciting. Don't see a starting quality RB in the NFL. Watched a few games and kept waiting for more.