Daron Bland's new nickname and shutdown corner?

nathanlt

Reaction score
DeIon Sanders was a shutdown corner.... and "DeRon Blanders" is a possible nickname, (possibly an easy reject though... :lmao2:) He's top of the league in pass breakups and similar statistics, and is on pace to shatter the pick 6 record in the NFL.

Soo..... Has Dallas' 5th round pick ascended to shutdown corner status?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
As weird as it sounds.....a nickname just sticks with someone. You don't force it. And something about Deron.....I feel like he doesn't want or need a nickname. His name speaks for himself. He's not nasty, he's not a bragger.....he just wakes up and plays football. Kind of....bland lol. Yet, he's arguably one of the most electrifying players in the league lol. Just a silent assassin.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LOL, Bland is not a shutdown corner. Nor is Diggs. Nor was Everson Walls, or Ron fellows. They were good corners that took advantage of opportunity.
Bland is having an epic year. If he continues to play at this level, he is a guy that QBs will stop challenging. That’s the mark of a “shut down”. I laugh at all the kids who like to point to Dieons lack of INTs certain years…….. its hard to stack INTs when QBs avoid throwing at you.

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
As weird as it sounds.....a nickname just sticks with someone. You don't force it. And something about Deron.....I feel like he doesn't want or need a nickname. His name speaks for himself. He's not nasty, he's not a bragger.....he just wakes up and plays football. Kind of....bland lol. Yet, he's arguably one of the most electrifying players in the league lol. Just a silent assassin.
True. forcing a nickname rarely works. Even "the young Lion" isn't really catching on an feels forced for Parsons. It works best when it happens organically. That being said, "Spicy" (being a play on Bland's name) is starting to pop up here and there.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
True. forcing a nickname rarely works. Even "the young Lion" isn't really catching on an feels forced for Parsons. It works best when it happens organically. That being said, "Spicy" (being a play on Bland's name) is starting to pop up here and there.
I haven't seen the spicy....not sure how I feel about that one either lol....I agree though the Lion name does feel forced.

fivetwos

Reaction score
LOL, Bland is not a shutdown corner. Nor is Diggs. Nor was Everson Walls, or Ron fellows. They were good corners that took advantage of opportunity.
Yep, not directed at the OP, but I have a problem with the overuse of that term.

There was only one of those that I recall….meaning teams would avoid an entire side of the field because he was there. That never happened even for guys like Revis or Woodson.

In fact Prime used to try to bait QBs into thinking a receiver was open. Who else could ever play that way?

Being a scoring threat on defense isn’t rare, it’s fully unique to him.

Off topic but since the greatest non QB of all time is the subject, let’s throw in being the best punt returner of all time. Played a pretty good WR as well. Was actually WR1 for Dallas during Irvin’s suspension in 96.

Oh and was a decent Major League Baseball player for fun.

Now climbing the head coaching ranks.

I am so in awe of that man it’s nuts.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Bland is having an epic year. If he continues to play at this level, he is a guy that QBs will stop challenging. That’s the mark of a “shut down”. I laugh at all the kids who like to point to Dieons lack of INTs certain years…….. its hard to stack INTs when QBs avoid throwing at you.
Yep. I'm sure the league is now aware that it is a bad idea to throw across the field at Bland. 3 of his 4 pick sixes were had on those pass plays. His opportunities for number 5 are going to decrease significantly from here on out.

rocknrobcowboy

Reaction score
Bland is not a shutdown corner..:facepalm:Nor is Diggs.:facepalm: Nor was Everson Walls,:facepalm: or Ron fellows :facepalm:

E Walls, During his 14 seasons, he was a four-time Pro Bowl selection. He was also a three-time All-Pro selection..

Houston,We Have a Problem..Its Flamma...

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Yes he is. He is ahead of Deion Sanders's numbers at the same time in their careers in almost every stat. Bland is also a good tackler. He is on pace to be even better than Sanders.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
DeIon Sanders was a shutdown corner.... and "DeRon Blanders" is a possible nickname, (possibly an easy reject though... :lmao2:) He's top of the league in pass breakups and similar statistics, and is on pace to shatter the pick 6 record in the NFL.

Soo..... Has Dallas' 5th round pick ascended to shutdown corner status?
Is DeLon, Deion's cousin? Lol

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I just hope he keeps it Bland and not go all Primetime on us....that show got old and the fact that he wants to be called coach prime is comical too me. Have some pride in your name.