Darren Mcfadden

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80;1541271 said:
It's NO use, people that don't like a player will disect them to pieces.. McFadden has plenty of power and lord knows plenty of speed.

I don't dislike McFadden. I see what I see. It's business not personal. I love football and I call it like I see it.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The one thing that worries me about this back is that I haven't seen him run with a lot of wiggle. Typically, he's a one cut back and he's a little bit upright, at times.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
stilltheguru;1541273 said:
Nobody said he was going to be Adrian Peterson. But you cant teach speed, quickness, and moves. He has every Cowboy running back beat in all 3 categories so i will gladly take Mr. Overrated.:cool:

Amen. That I believe and support.

Stephen Colboar

Reaction score
nyc said:
He is very fast, but the wind can blow him over.
nyc, correct me if I am putting words in your mouth, but of all the posts you've made on McFadden... I thought that comment kind of summed it up.

Honestly, I'm kind of floored that anyone could come to that conclusion about McFadden. I really can't argue your analysis though, because you just have to see it. Only a few of the highlight reels on youtube show it, but this is for two reasons: 1.) He really has had that many plays where he outruns SEC defenders (which BTW, produces a lot of NFL defensive talent). He is simply untouched. 2.) Because defenses put a lot of guys in the box, if a big hole is opened up and he gets to that second zone, no one is really in position to catch him.

Arkansas uses Felix Jones as a change of pace guy and he is kind of like a Dave Chappelle-Julius Jones love child. (just look at his media photo and you'll get the Chappelle reference)

Also, you questioned his catching ability. That remains to be seen, because Arkansas just doesn't throw to their backs any. You'll see a screen here and there, but I've yet to see him disappoint on any of those.

Just watch him play more. He is a physical specimen, and I guaran-damn-tee you the wind does not blow him over. You can say that about his teammate Felix, but damn sure not McFadden.

Reaction score
nyc;1541272 said:
This is not true. I never *only* made that statement. I gave my reason and I'm ready to sit back and stand by my prediction till fruition.

If the Cowboys draft him and he takes Emmitt's spot as the NFL's All-Time leading rusher and second in TDs; then good for him and the Cowboys. I just don't think it's going to happen. Period.

You sound like a Giants fan...:laugh2:

adamknite

Reaction score
nyc;1541272 said:
This is not true. I never *only* made that statement. I gave my reason and I'm ready to sit back and stand by my prediction till fruition.

If the Cowboys draft him and he takes Emmitt's spot as the NFL's All-Time leading rusher and second in TDs; then good for him and the Cowboys. I just don't think it's going to happen. Period.

Sorry, I was writing my post when you made the other posts.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80;1541248 said:
You can't be serious right? WOW, keep in mind he faced the toughest college defenses in the SEC and STILL had a huge year, dude wake up!

I only watch the SEC. I agree its the best conference in College. I have seen this guy play a bunch.. on tv and in person. He is good.. but he is not going to be an elite player in the nfl... that is my take on him. You can disagree.. thats fine.. but you have no more proof than I do. This is what i see. a very inconsistant back.. he looks great one week,, not so great the next week. he puts up 182 yds agaisnt the likes of LSU but on 89 in a bowl game.. or 200+ against a Tenn team but only 73 against Fl. I am not sure he can catch a football either.. only 11 catchs last year.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
nyc;1541272 said:

That was kind of an oxymoron. ;)

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Stephen Colboar;1541232 said:
Go check McFadden's stats and compare them to other SEC backs in the past. The only two names that compare are Bo Jackson and Herschel Walker.

Also, McFadden is in a horribly one-headed offense. He not only faces SEC speed, but faces defense that throw nine and ten guys in the box.

Augh....... I think you probably have to include Emmitt Smith on this very short list as well.

Reaction score
Cowboy4ever;1541280 said:
I only watch the SEC. I agree its the best conference in College. I have seen this guy play a bunch.. on tv and in person. He is good.. but he is not going to be an elite player in the nfl... that is my take on him. You can disagree.. thats fine.. but you have no more proof than I do. This is what i see. a very inconsistant back.. he looks great one week,, not so great the next week. he puts up 182 yds agaisnt the likes of LSU but on 89 in a bowl game.. or 200+ against a Tenn team but only 73 against Fl. I am not sure he can catch a football either.. only 11 catchs last year.

:lmao: We're talking about a SOPHOMORE running back folks... There's a reason why he's in college, no way he's near a finished product! I think he catches the ball fine... I've played the sport and seen some great ones and this kid has the makings of a great running back.

Stephen Colboar

Reaction score
nyc;1541266 said:
Watch the Adrian Peterson highlights on YouTube then compare them to McFadden. When McFadden makes contact, he WILL go down. Peterson would bull over guys and run away dragging them until they let go.

Don't take my word for it. Go see for your self. He goes down after contact. Then watch Adrian Peterson. Now, after watching those. Think about how that is going to translate to the NFL where the players are much faster and they don't miss many tackles because it will mean their job.
I've seen plenty of Peterson's and McFadden's games to get an idea of what you're talking about, but I just think you're too quick to judge McFadden based off of a youtube highlight reel.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
adamknite;1541279 said:
Sorry, I was writing my post when you made the other posts.

No need to apologize. Apologizies are for when harm is caused. No harm no foul, I respect you and your opinions.

Stephen Colboar

Reaction score
and I understand we're talking about transferring to the NFL talent level.

I don't want to come across as some fanboy that's losing his **** because somebody is "hating" on his team.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
adamknite;1541289 said:
you're an oxymoron.

:D

Where did I hear that off of?

Nah, I'm just the Moron part! :gent:
Stephen Colboar;1541290 said:
I've seen plenty of Peterson's and McFadden's games to get an idea of what you're talking about, but I just think you're too quick to judge McFadden based off of a youtube highlight reel.

I haven't just watched Youtube hightlight reels. The problem is I can't just present entire games to watch with a hyperlink.

Stephen Colboar

Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80;1541287 said:
:lmao: We're talking about a SOPHOMORE running back folks... There's a reason why he's in college, no way he's near a finished product! I think he catches the ball fine... I've played the sport and seen some great ones and this kid has the makings of a great running back.
This is probably one of the best points, yet.
When you look at those McFadden videos, remember that he is only one and two years removed from high school.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Stephen Colboar;1541308 said:
This is probably one of the best points, yet.
When you look at those McFadden videos, remember that he is only one and two years removed from high school.

I think this is a relative statment, to a point. RBs don't typically change there running styles. If you run with some wiggle, changes are your always going to do that. If you are a cut back runner, your probably always going to be one. If your a power runner, that's what you do. I really can't recall a running back changing his running style ever. Perhaps someone else can. I think you can improve on things. You can improve strength, speed, quickness, technique, blocking and even reading your blocks but not your running style IMO.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;1541310 said:
I really can't recall a running back changing his running style ever.

I can show you one.

Julius Jones said:
Maybe I listened to coach [Bill] Parcells a little too much and was kind of running like a robot.

:D

Stephen Colboar

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;1541310 said:
I think this is a relative statment, to a point. RBs don't typically change there running styles. If you run with some wiggle, changes are your always going to do that. If you are a cut back runner, your probably always going to be one. If your a power runner, that's what you do. I really can't recall a running back changing his running style ever. Perhaps someone else can. I think you can improve on things. You can improve strength, speed, quickness, technique, blocking and even reading your blocks but not your running style IMO.
So are you saying his running style is poor? I guess I don't follow.

I just think the ability to avoid hits a'la Reggie Bush is just as good as an ability to take the hits and/or distribute your own punishment.

McFadden has the ability to be physical, he just never needs to show it. McFadden's ability to avoid hits though, I think is being undervalued here.

I see the point some of you are making though, and it's understandable I guess. All we can do is sit back and watch his last year of college ball, and then see for ourselves when he is in the league next season.
I'm hoping it's with the Cowboys... which also means Tony Romo ends up being the definite answer at QB.