Video: Darren Woodson: "Players/Coaches trust Dak more than they ever did Romo"

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Tony Romo in "A football life". I think in hindsight Cabo was a bad decision. My biggest regret is not going to the SB on the best team I had around me, the 2009 team. Wasted early years

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Romo is like the ex-GF, that drove you crazy while you were together, but now that she's gone you want her back. He's gone and found someone better, network TV. Romo is gone, let it go people......

I had an ex-GF like that. Damn, if I had only known that she would get a $5mill/year contract with CBS to call plays. She didn't even like football. That's one of the many reasons that she's an ex ;).

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Rather intangible yep. Leadership is hard to measure. Much harder than passing stats. Maybe leadership get's us as much as passing stats and 2 playoff wins in 10 years, who knows. Your guess is as good as mine. Looks like we may find out tho. That play off win thing is measurable
Well, this team has been built for the playoffs for the past 3 years. How many playoff wins does Mr. 8x Leader have? You're right, the playoff win thing is measurable. 0.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Hurns and Beasley have publicly taken shots at Daks play
And they both have played bellow standards. Amari totally puts them to shame and has exposed them for the JAGS they truly are. Both Hurns and Beasley went undrafted for a reason, and this season has totally exposed them.

That's why they talk trash against Dak, because this season is very likely their last in Dallas.

Bye.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
I respect Woodson a lot... this is an interesting tidbit IMO.

To me— Romo was the underdog. The fun guy. The loose guy. The witty guy. The hat backwards and roll with the punches guy.

When he first came in— he had no pressure to lead the team bc he WAS NOT the starting QB. Then when he became the starter— I don’t think he adjusted to the leadership mantle of the position until later in his career.

Dak has stepped into that role from day 1 and he has not looked back. He is leading a young team— and Tony was leading older players as a younger QB which can be challenging.

I would stop short of saying Tony was only about himself though... the way he stepped aside in 2016 was one of the classiest things I have seen a player do in pro sports— and if he was about himself and not the team he never would have done that.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I had an ex-GF like that. Damn, if I had only known that she would get a $5mill/year contract with CBS to call plays. She didn't even like football. That's one of the many reasons that she's an ex ;).
His new love treats him better than we did, doesn't take him for granted, laughs at all his jokes, they love all those little quirks that drove us crazy, they don't care if he plays golf with his friends, they even send him to the golf course. You always say you wish them well, but secretly you want to see him crawling back, so it just makes it worse than he's doing better after he left us, even all our old friends like him better than us now. The drunk posts in the middle of the night saying I miss you, please come back, honestly this time would be different, please give us another chance, we were so wrong to dump you for the new QB.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I respect Woodson a lot... this is an interesting tidbit IMO.

To me— Romo was the underdog. The fun guy. The loose guy. The witty guy. The hat backwards and roll with the punches guy.

When he first came in— he had no pressure to lead the team bc he WAS NOT the starting QB. Then when he became the starter— I don’t think he adjusted to the leadership mantle of the position until later in his career.

Dak has stepped into that role from day 1 and he has not looked back. He is leading a young team— and Tony was leading older players as a younger QB which can be challenging.

I would stop short of saying Tony was only about himself though... the way he stepped aside in 2016 was one of the classiest things I have seen a player do in pro sports— and if he was about himself and not the team he never would have done that.
According to reports.....Romo didn’t step aside...he was forced. Which I would expect nothing less from a competitor.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
According to reports.....Romo didn’t step aside...he was forced. Which I would expect nothing less from a competitor.

I’ll clarify.

The FO went with Dak and instead of dividing the locker room and pouting— Romo stepped aside as a competitor and supported what was best for the team.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
gG9dmb2.png

I believe Woodson 100%. Plus I believe it is equally true throughout the organization.

Winning streaks are one thing. However, there is something to be said about essentially jettisoning your established franchise quarterback midway through his successor's rookie season. Romo understood this perception completely and knew his time was done in Dallas.

Now, Prescott has his own overzealous critics. They want him gone but what Woodson emphasizes cannot be ignored--and is equally important as the commonly accepted football precept that franchise quarterbacks are huge investments their franchises do not discard in quick fashion.

Jones and Garrett (emphasis on Jones) saw and fully bought into Prescott's 'IT Factor'. Anyone believing Jones will move pass Prescott REGARDLESS of perceived negative quarterback performance in the YEARS to come are totally fooling themselves in my opinion.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
1/8 huh? Neat measurement for an intangible stat. BS dump material.
Romo was a clown when he should have been winning. He was an “awww shucks” goof ball just happy to be in the league squandering opportunities early in his career. Then we missed the playoffs 4 straight years from 2010-2013 and he realized how hard it was. He finally stopped being a stat collecting ball hog in 2014 and let Murray carry the team. Then he got jealous, Murray got shipped away, and Romo and Dez were left giving us 2015 crapfest. The Romo era is a smut stain. I can’t believe I was ever so gullible to defend that loser.

sbark

Reaction score
Easy to trust Dak lol... Romo made his own plays because this offense was inept. Romo called his own damn plays at the line. Dak is just the next puppet to this horrid offensive scheme... could be the scotch talking.
What I was thinking.....they trust him to stay on the reservation (as parcells would say), not change or sandlot plays aka Td with a.cooper vrs philly

Wonder what the film room or private discussion was later that week over what came out verbally on that play

Staubacher

Reaction score
Same things were said about Tebow as Dak. Neither can throw the ball though.

If you want to see the real Dak, see the 6 games without Zeke last year. Literally all time team records in offensive futility.

The "it factor" only goes so far if you're not a NFL quality passer.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Romo was a clown when he should have been winning. He was an “awww shucks” goof ball just happy to be in the league squandering opportunities early in his career. Then we missed the playoffs 4 straight years from 2010-2013 and he realized how hard it was. He finally stopped being a stat collecting ball hog in 2014 and let Murray carry the team. Then he got jealous, Murray got shipped away, and Romo and Dez were left giving us 2015 crapfest. The Romo era is a smut stain. I can’t believe I was ever so gullible to defend that loser.
More intangibles for the BS Dump.