Video: Darren Woodson: "Players/Coaches trust Dak more than they ever did Romo"

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Same things were said about Tebow as Dak. Neither can throw the ball though.

If you want to see the real Dak, see the 6 games without Zeke last year. Literally all time team records in offensive futility.

The "it factor" only goes so far if you're not a NFL quality passer.

Dak does not play well under pressure for sure... wasn’t just missing Zeke, but Tyron as well.

Don’t forget— Dak went 3-3 in that stretch w/o Zeke and we were scrapping for a playoff berth when Zeke returned and Dez hurt us bad in the Seattle game.

In that 6 games of offensive futility, the final 3 games were wins, and the offense put up 38, 30, and 20 points respectively.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Interesting discussion...

This is why the petty trolls have so many issues. THIS type of thing is too complicated for them.

He is the anti Romo in every way.

And how you solve these pocket issues with DAk is:

1. maturing will help but will never fix completely
2. You get him a top Oline AGAIN. This mitigates his warts and allows his greatest traits to take center stage.

If you are NOT going to have a great line then Dak Prescott is NOT your QB. We saw this is his rookie year how good he could be. Nobody was complaining about pocket presence or accuracy or hesitation. It was there, but it was minimalized because of great pass protection.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’ll clarify.

The FO went with Dak and instead of dividing the locker room and pouting— Romo stepped aside as a competitor and supported what was best for the team.
It is irrelevant including the term 'competitor' when the related word 'competition' was totally and unquestionably removed from the equation. Romo 'stepped aside' because Jones and Garrett left him with no other choice. Perhaps his resignation was best for the team but his doing so was only a coincidence.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
This is why the petty trolls have so many issues. THIS type of thing is too complicated for them.

He is the anti Romo in every way.

And how you solve these pocket issues with DAk is:

1. maturing will help but will never fix completely
2. You get him a top Oline AGAIN. This mitigates his warts and allows his greatest traits to take center stage.

If you are NOT going to have a great line then Dak Prescott is NOT your QB. We saw this is his rookie year how good he could be. Nobody was complaining about pocket presence or accuracy or hesitation. It was there, but it was minimalized because of great pass protection.
Which is why I’m hesitant to give him top $. Luckily I think all the OL eligible for 2nd contracts have them but that needs to constantly be the goal and not have Dak try to be Peyton or Brady and overcome a bad OL.

Also why Tyron will be an interesting decision in a few years. Sentimentality as greatest LT to play for the team can’t take precedence if he’s not the best option. Dak needs top notch linemen every year if possible.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Which is why I’m hesitant to give him top $. Luckily I think all the OL eligible for 2nd contracts have them but that needs to constantly be the goal and not have Dak try to be Peyton or Brady and overcome a bad OL.

Also why Tyron will be an interesting decision in a few years. Sentimentality as greatest LT to play for the team can’t take precedence if he’s not the best option. Dak needs top notch linemen every year if possible.

The key is Frederick. He gets a full recovery then its an easy path to a great Oline. If Frederick is never the same player again, then its almost a waste. Conner Williams will be good he just needs to strengthen. We should know in the offseason. That is the good news.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Comparing Dak and Romo is just laughable.

Dak has just about hit his ceiling as a player. He has a low floor and a low ceiling.

The only thing that will elevate Daks game is if he decides to run more but he lacks so much pocket awareness that I don’t know if he’ll ever improve.

Dak May be a great leader but he lacks so much as a QB and he doesn’t have the talent to gain the things he needs to improve upon.

Run Dak. That is where your real talent is.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Perhaps the front office should be extended some latitude for being presumably competent with its salary cap. There should always be preset pro and con strategies for current and future contract considerations pertaining to the entire roster.

Realistically, the front office should have foreseen offensive linemen contracts consequences for 2019 and beyond as early as October 2016. If true, the only requirement for success will be matching projected contracts with the necessary talent to protect Prescott.

This is a must because Prescott will get paid like a franchise quarterback. That decision was made his rookie season. The only question is when.

JMech

Reaction score
Not surprising. If Romo had 1/8th the leadership Dak has he would have a couple rings with the Cowboys and would need a ton of excuses for why he doesnt.

No leadership? Seriously? Romo drew up the plays in the dirt because he wasn't getting any in from the sidelines.

This discussion is a joke.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I respect Woodson a lot... this is an interesting tidbit IMO.

To me— Romo was the underdog. The fun guy. The loose guy. The witty guy. The hat backwards and roll with the punches guy.

When he first came in— he had no pressure to lead the team bc he WAS NOT the starting QB. Then when he became the starter— I don’t think he adjusted to the leadership mantle of the position until later in his career.

Dak has stepped into that role from day 1 and he has not looked back. He is leading a young team— and Tony was leading older players as a younger QB which can be challenging.

I would stop short of saying Tony was only about himself though... the way he stepped aside in 2016 was one of the classiest things I have seen a player do in pro sports— and if he was about himself and not the team he never would have done that.

Here is the thing.

All the intangible things are great but when the game kicks off those intangibles aren’t going to help him read defenses and make accurate throws into tigh windows down field.

Comparing things you can’t measure with Dak to things you can measure with Romo is just stupid and is the only way you can say Dak is better then Romo at anything.

rags747

Reaction score
Its the same reasoning behind why people buy Porsche when for the same money they can buy Ferrari, they want the same thing each and every day. Porsche will hit that high note each and every day and make you smile, Ferrari will hit a higher note and make you laugh uncontrollably but will also offer some lower notes along the way. Give me the Exotic in life and not the Farm horse please. Ty...

slick325

Reaction score
Sounds to me like the Jones boys and some Coaches are the main ones that trust Prescott more than they ever trusted Romo. Mainly because there wouldn't be that many players who played with both. Although, I'm sure there are some players that may feel that way as well.

Tyron, Fred Beard, DLaw, Beas all played with Romo in 2014 when he finished 2nd in League MVP voting. Hard to believe those young guys wouldn't trust that version of Tony.

rags747

Reaction score
gG9dmb2.png

I believe Woodson 100%. Plus I believe it is equally true throughout the organization.

Winning streaks are one thing. However, there is something to be said about essentially jettisoning your established franchise quarterback midway through his successor's rookie season. Romo understood this perception completely and knew his time was done in Dallas.

Now, Prescott has his own overzealous critics. They want him gone but what Woodson emphasizes cannot be ignored--and is equally important as the commonly accepted football precept that franchise quarterbacks are huge investments their franchises do not discard in quick fashion.

Jones and Garrett (emphasis on Jones) saw and fully bought into Prescott's 'IT Factor'. Anyone believing Jones will move pass Prescott REGARDLESS of perceived negative quarterback performance in the YEARS to come are totally fooling themselves in my opinion.
Dak definitely has "it", I have said that many times before. I just wish he had a lot more talent to go along with "it" then we would be set for the next 15 years.

slick325

Reaction score
This is where the Tebow comparisons come from.

TBH...Prescott is more skilled as a QB than Tebow. But, to your point, that is exactly who I'd compare him to. Intangibles far outweigh skill level and lead to belief in the player despite what your eyes can see as obvious warts or holes in their game.

That's a dangerous investment to make if you ask me. But hey...go Cowboys!

Cowboyz88

Reaction score
I called it years ago (you can look it up) on this very site, before they all were gone.

Many years after its over, Cowboys fans will look back at the Romo, Witten, Ware, Dez, Newman, RWilliams era as the Cowboys Dark Ages in terms of team success.

Lots of glitz and glamor in terms of individual stats, but ZERO substance in terms of team accomplishments.

Just an awful period.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Here is the thing.

All the intangible things are great but when the game kicks off those intangibles aren’t going to help him read defenses and make accurate throws into tigh windows down field.

Comparing things you can’t measure with Dak to things you can measure with Romo is just stupid and is the only way you can say Dak is better then Romo at anything.

He is more durable than Romo and a MUCH better running QB. The best we have ever had in Dallas