David Arkin OG

Chuck 54

Reaction score
It is unlikely that any rookie OG will start for us this year, but we needed to infuse youth...Arkin and Brewster will have a chance to show they can be the future at OG.

Realistically, Kosier is still a very effective player for us when healthy. And everything I read about Davis was that he really responded when Garrett took over, and despite his horrendous first half of the season, word is that the coaches were very pleased with his blocking the final half...he apparently really stepped it up when practices became more focused.

I think we're in good shape on the OL this year:

C- Gurode with Costa getting a 2nd year to prove if he can be the future here.
OG- Kosier, Davis, and Holland in the rotation...Arkin and Brewster working to be the future.

OT- Free and Smith, with Young in 2nd year development...maybe Columbo holds on...maybe not.

I'm satisfied with where we are for this year...After this season, we'll know whether or not we need to start looking for Center and another OG or we might be set for a while.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
Building up of a younger OL in Dallas. Hope this puts us in Good shape for pass protection and run blocking an the OL jells together over the next few seasons

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I like the pick. More O-Line addressing which, I've said all along, was the biggest concern and the area I most wanted us to address this year.

I like it.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lodeus;3933432 said:
He looks good on film from what ESPN just showed. Nobody's even heard of this guy and people hate the pick. I don't get it.

Because most people don't have a clue.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
STSINAZ;3933476 said:
now they need to go d end or secondary

I agree even if Jerry plans on picking up a DB in free Agency, he should still go for a secondary guy

Chuck 54

Reaction score
whoever said "nobody's ever heard of him" is crazy...maybe fans who only watch the big teams on TV never heard of him, but he's in ever football guide, he was at the Combine, he played in the E/W Shrine game, and there were only 8 OG's with higher ratings in the entire draft in Kiper's report.

The Cowboys didn't draft a guy that no one else knew about.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
Ken;3933465 said:
Wasted....lol.

Yeah, wasted when we have two middle lbs who are set to start collecting their pensions and we had a huge liablity at nickle Lb last year. This guy is hugely talented and is one of the better cover lb's in the draft. WASTED!

Murray....WASTED. Barber is going to be cut and our qb got his shoulder broke last year because of a missed block by a rb. We add a VERY talented rb who is the best pass blocking rb in the draft and the best pass catching rb in the draft. Yup, wasted. Not to mention this kid is as explosive as Felix is, now we won't have the huge drop off from felix to barber that we have had and we will be less predictable. WASTED.

:bang2:

Agree. I also love the last pick. We have done a great job.

Butch Davis was extremely high on Carter. Said he was the rare LBer that never leaves the field and that Ciskowski did a ton of homework on him. Great kid, hard worker and can absolutely FLY. Mayock repeated that he spoke to GMs all over the league and EVERY single one of them said Carter was a top 15-20 pick before the knee injury. How anyone can not love that pick is beyond me.

As for Murray I can't wait to see him isolated on a LBer on 3rd down. Mr. Chained Blue Lightnin'!

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80;3933487 said:
Good I hope he can start this year....

Just looking at him I don't think he can. He'll get bull rushed to death.

He needs some weights in his life.

tupperware

A Plastic Container
Reaction score
kiheikiwi;3933399 said:
sorry but again, underwhelmed. I have that whole disapointed feeling again like the "special teams" draft a few years ago. Pick number 1 great, the rest meh ...
What'd you expect? Randy Moss in the 4th round?

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
41gy#;3933405 said:
He's athletic. I like that aspect.
I agree that this is a good sign. Not a mauler, but a guy who's quick and can sustain blocks is exactly the kind of player we need. Hopefully, he'll be that for us.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
I've followed football in general, and the NFL specifically, for many years. If there's one thing I've learned it's that above any position, offensive linemen can be coached up to play well as long as they have the tools to do so. What are the tools? Athleticism, toughness, and desire. The lack of athleticism is the major thing that can doom an offensive lineman. As long as an OL has the athleticism, toughness, and desire to play, he can be coached up. Both of the guys we've drafted have all of these assets from everything I've read/heard. The biggest issue with our current line is a lack of athleticism. We've taken care of this issue. Two of the best OL to ever wear the star (Allen and Erik Williams) were 2nd and 3rd round picks from schools no one ever heard of, but they turned out pretty well. Tueiy and Nate Newton were both UDFA from Hawaii and a small school. They turned out pretty well. I think we've done very well with the OL in this draft.

RS12

Reaction score
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1246923

Positives: Has NFL size. Excellent hustle, plays through the whistle on every snap. Sustains blocks as well as any player in this class, gets his strong hands up quickly and keeps his arms extended to manhandle his defender once engaged. Very good anchor in pass protection despite his height and athletic frame. Nice fit in a zone-blocking system, and will be able to pull and trap effectively behind the line with nimble feet. Competition at the East-West Shrine Game was not too much for him.

Negatives: Plays with his pads high and must play with more knee-bend to succeed at the next level. Has difficulty with speed on the outside and quick hands when lined up inside. Bad pass protection posture (bends at waist) and short strides coming out of his kick-slide allow defenders to rip off him too easily. Lunges at defenders in the second level, instead of moving his feet to reach them. Must work on getting low and putting his hands onto man's numbers in short-yardage situations.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
CATCH17;3933504 said:
Just looking at him I don't think he can. He'll get bull rushed to death.

He needs some weights in his life.

Which he should start getting plenty of. If he can contribute anything this year that will be great and when he replaces Davis at RG, even if it's next season, I'll be quite happy.

I really like this pick.

Parche

Reaction score
I like the pick, and the idea of improving or O-Line.

Still holes in the D-Line though.