David Irving suspended 4 games

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Sure. But I expect he's supposed to notify the league that he can't make a mandated test in those situations.

Maybe he did and the league thought there was no legit reason why he couldn't be available. Simply being involved in a custody battle does not make you unable to do anything else
I would think if he's in Cali then he could have arranged to meet somewhere for the test. I doubt he's the first that had a busy schedule and was out of town when a random test had to be done.

kskboys

Reaction score
I would think if he's in Cali then he could have arranged to meet somewhere for the test. I doubt he's the first that had a busy schedule and was out of town when a random test had to be done.
Yup. The league will talk to you if you call them.

Sydla

Reaction score
Explain to me how the "organization" has any control over what a player does with his personal life. Please, elaborate on this.

I would love to draft or pick up a talented player that has all the tools; one of those including his head; but in the NFL it's not uncommon to grab up a guy on talent, and see where it goes. Hopefully, your staff is able to put some of that common sense brain juice into his head but a lot of these kids today don't realize the opportunities they have in front of them. Throw in the dude's going through a lot of personal stuff. I was going through the same crazy stuff at his age with kids and a couple stints overseas in bad areas that changed my life forever. The point is, we all have our thing and this guy has his going on now. I don't think he's a bad guy. He's just in a funk cause of the craziness of his situation and I'm not pointing any fingers as to who's right or wrong.

But how can you blame this on the organization or Marinelli? Come on, man.

You missed the point.

I am not blaming the organization for Irving getting pinched for weed.

I am blaming them for the fact that we now have questions again at DT because of their overall strategy of acquiring DTs in general.

Sydla

Reaction score
Must I remind you that everything we do is magic? Thus, all the playoff wins.

It’s funny the lengths people go to when it comes to defending this organization.

We are getting to the point where the sky is blue but some peope will argue it’s green.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
True, but this sounds like a multiple-miss kind of thing.
Agree either way a guy who you can’t count on. Irving out Gregory in...out with one knucklehead and in with another. With Gregory I wouldn’t be shocked if we see something similar to what they did with Gordon last year. He was reinstated but still served an additional suspension before being active.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
https://nflpaweb.blob.core.windows.net/media/Default/PDFs/Agents/2016SOAPolicy_v2.pdf

NFL Substance Abuse Policy | APPENDIX E | Procedures for Failure to Appear for Testing

All Players in an Intervention Stage who become unavailable for Testing due to travel, temporary or permanent change of residence, prior commitments, or otherwise, are required to notify the Medical Advisor in advance of such unavailability so that the Medical Advisor can schedule accordingly if such request is reasonable.

If a Player fails to provide the Medical Advisor with an address and telephone number where he can be contacted, and, as a result, such Player cannot be contacted when the Medical Advisor requires that a Test be administered or the Player cannot be contacted at the address and telephone number provided to the Medical Advisor, the Player’s failure to notify the Medical Advisor or inability to be contacted will be subject to discipline as set forth below.

In addition, Players who are not in an Intervention Stage but who are selected for Pre-Season Testing must present and provide a specimen within the time periods set forth in Section 1.3.3 of this Policy. Players who fail to do so without a valid reason as determined by the Medical Advisor will be subject to discipline as set forth below.

When a Player fails to appear for testing, the Parties, in consultation with the Medical Advisor, will determine the nature of the failure and the degree of the Player’s culpability. If the failure to appear is determined to have been a deliberate effort to evade or avoid testing, then the failure will be treated as a Section 1.5 violation, subject to appeal. For other cases, the failure will be treated as follows:

• Unless a warning is issued, the first time a Player fails to appear for testing, he will be fined up to $25,000 under his NFL Player Contract and will be placed into the Intervention Program.
  • A second failure to appear for testing will result in a fine of two-seventeenths (2/17) of the Paragraph 5 amount in his NFL Player Contract.
  • A third violation will result in a four (4) game suspension without pay.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Agree either way a guy who you can’t count on. Irving out Gregory in...out with one knucklehead and in with another. With Gregory I wouldn’t be shocked if we see something similar to what they did with Gordon last year. He was reinstated but still served an additional suspension before being active.
The one difference is Gordon failed another test after applying for reinstatement. He actually didn’t come back after that suspension since he voluntarily went back into rehab. He ultimately had to file for reinstatement again the following year.

If Gregory gets reinstated it will probably be more like Martavis Bryant where he will be conditionally reinstated to where he has to go set up his support structure and stay clean, but as long as he follows all the rules will be eligible to participate in training camp, preseason and be good to go for week 1. But if he doesn’t follow his conditions, won’t be. It will be up to him though.

starfan1

Reaction score
You missed the point.

I am not blaming the organization for Irving getting pinched for weed.

I am blaming them for the fact that we now have questions again at DT because of their overall strategy of acquiring DTs in general.

So out of curiosity in terms of the draft what should they have done diffferently? They had Vea high on their board he was long gone and quite frankly LB is and was a bigger need IMO.
They didn’t know Irving was going to miss drug test. They picked up Ward and I believe they have high hopes for Price.

You can’t fix it all in 1 draft or 2 with all the holes they had. I don’t blame organization at all. I think we’ll be fine. Crawford and Collins is next man up

speedkilz88

Reaction score
So out of curiosity in terms of the draft what should they have done diffferently? They had Vea high on their board he was long gone and quite frankly LB is and was a bigger need IMO.
They didn’t know Irving was going to miss drug test. They picked up Ward and I believe they have high hopes for Price.

You can’t fix it all in 1 draft or 2 with all the holes they had. I don’t blame organization at all. I think we’ll be fine. Crawford and Collins is next man up
Agreed. The DT I wish they would have went after is Maurice Hurst who they could have gotten with one of the 4th rounders.

Sydla

Reaction score

How about use FA and sign a good DT instead of a retread that they love and overrate?

Settle and Hurst were there in the 4tg round.

It’s always one excuse after another for organizational failures. It’s maddening.

Rayman70

Reaction score
OBJ gets a pass with video evidence of dope and hookers...yet Irving gets 4 games. lmao...THIS is why Goodell must go. Bias against anything Dallas or Jerry Jones is glaring. We can't win in a hostile environment like this that Goodell has created. The deck is stacked against us each year it seems.Others get a free pass or light sentence..and one of our players farts and they are suspended.

CPanther95

Reaction score

Do we know the Cowboys didn't know about Irving's suspension? Didn't his girlfriend post back in April that this was the 2nd year in a row he was going to be suspended?

If she actually knew then it's hard to believe that the Cowboys weren't aware before that.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
How about use FA and sign a good DT instead of a retread that they love and overrate?

Settle and Hurst were there in the 4tg round.

It’s always one excuse after another for organizational failures. It’s maddening.
Signing Suh, even if we had to overpay, would have made me very happy.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Collins has some ability to rush up the middle as does Crawford.

Irving is a very disruptive force.

I think our best hope for a disruptive pass rush at this point is probably Charlton's development on the outside. I agree with you on Collins and Crawford. Neither are bad players, but neither have ever shown the ability to get into the backfield that Irving has displayed. Crawford has probably come the closest a few years back when he earned his big deal, but even then, he wasn't able to finish like Irving.

AbeBeta

Reaction score

I dunno. There are only four teams in CA. Plus 100s of players making their off-season home there. Likely not possible to get tested.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Signing Suh, even if we had to overpay, would have made me very happy.

Should have just signed Terrell McClain when he was in your building looking for work. At that time, the team knew about the Collins injury and probably knew there was a good chance Irving was facing another suspension.