Twitter: David Irving trying to get reinstated

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
He quit because there was a rule that made it impossible for him to smoke and play at the same time. The NFL wouldn’t allow it. If that rule no longer exists it’s not a problem. Again, smoking weed and playing football aren't mutually exclusive. It’s completely conceivable to want to do both...most of the nfl already does.

I could see your point if he was a QB or something like that...but he’s a d lineman that you put on the field for 35 snaps and tell him to “go get the qb.” After his stupidity (for the record I’m not defending any of his decision making) of walking away the $ commitment will be relatively small and if he disappears again it won’t be a big blow to the team.

I honestly don’t care either way, but acting like Irving is incapable of playing in the nfl because he’s a pot head is ridiculous. Pro sports in this country would barely exist if you weeded out all the pot heads (pun intended)

I can't believe there are posters here who either don't understand or refuse to acknowledge this.

Wait, yeah I can believe it. These people believed Jason Garrett was a great coach and still believe Jerry Jones is a competent general manager.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
How about a player who puts his life above all else like he did? He used cannabis to survive. The he’ll with football and he was fine with that. If you’re going to try and ride in on your high horse get the facts straight first.

He uses cannabis because he wants to get high, you're the one with his facts wrong, GREGORY uses cannabis "to survive". NOWHERE has it been said IRVING needs pot to handle life. He is thinking the new CBA will allow players to use pot without penalty, or just needs a paycheck to buy more pot.

You're very naïve my friend...

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
He uses cannabis because he wants to get high, you're the one with his facts wrong, GREGORY uses cannabis "to survive". NOWHERE has it been said IRVING needs pot to handle life. He is thinking the new CBA will allow players to use pot without penalty, or just needs a paycheck to buy more pot.

You're very naïve my friend...
Find a combat vet in your area and ask him.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
It has nothing to do with the fact that he smoked weed. It has everything to do with the fact that 1. He had OTHER issues off the field 2. You know the rules, like them or not, you follow them if you're under contract 3. He's about a concussion or two away from getting his food through a straw the rest of his life.

This is the guy who said he blacked out and hit a stop sign (he's drawn to them, apparently) due to a concussion. He shouldn't ever step back onto the field.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I can't believe there are posters here who either don't understand or refuse to acknowledge this.

Wait, yeah I can believe it. These people believed Jason Garrett was a great coach and still believe Jerry Jones is a competent general manager.

I can't believe people only know about him smoking weed....

That is not his only problem, and he mentioned concussion problems as to why he's leaving football as well. Weed isn't going to cure his concussion problems. Dude blacked out and got into a car wreck over a concussion a couple years ago. Big fat no to this guy. And he has been a moron since college as well.

He's just not a smart guy - he has plenty of time, and I'm guessing, enough money to get himself some weed the rest of his life. Maybe the Commanders or Browns will sign him.

cowboyed

Reaction score
Did you not see that I mentioned he quit on us? Does that not suggest to you he is unreliable? Do you feel the need to preach to the choir?

Unreliable is a performance work trend or action over a specific time. Quitting is a bit more finite. I do not feel the need to preach to your choir considering you are a very thin skinned, conductor ;) You should consider my preaching to your choir a limited, regrettable accidental overlap.

Last edited:

cowboyed

Reaction score
Another narrow minded person exposing themself as a hypocrite. I salute any man for standing up for what is right. Marijuana is legal in almost half of the United States and Canada. For Irving it was the only medicine that helped him. It’s much less dangerous than the pain killers the team shoots them up with or the anti-depression drugs the Dr.’s prescribe which didn’t work for him. So ride off into the sunset on your high horse and drown your sorrows with some whiskey. It’s legal everywhere.

I think you need to go back to sniffing used bicycle seats.

tm1119

Reaction score

I think a lot of fans have this naive (almost immature) notion that football players are these amazing warriors that play for the love of the game (and throw in whatever other cliche you want)...nope, not even close for the most part. They are human beings looking for a paycheck and come with the full spectrum of issues just like any other job...if not more because a lot of these guys use football as an escape from a bad environment. Of course there are exceptions and it’s not fair to lump all into the same category tho...

Fans are also way too emotional about stuff they have no clue about. I care about results on the field, all of the other stuff is irrelevant. If the rules change and Irving is allowed on the field by the NFL then go get the QB young man, I don’t give a damn about whatever else is going on in his life.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Do you care about him actually showing up, practicing and playing with the intensity you describe? He has already failed to do those things & i believe went so far as to say he didn't ever really like football when he walked away. So, i have zero faith that we should expect anything different this time.

Moreover, surely we can find good players who can do those things without all the distraction and risk.
what distraction? Go find me some article stalking about Irving being a distraction. Practice? you talkin bout practice? i dont care if he ever practices. When the man played, he was a beast, and the reason he didnt play was normally pot related. Correct me if im wrong. So you saying when he played he didnt play with intensity? uhmm,, I never heard that. When he played, he was normally our best pass rusher..... and CONSISTENTLY, unlike someone else we have.

shabazz

Reaction score
Find a combat vet in your area and ask him.

This is insulting to Combat Veterans, Gregory and Veterans don't belong in the same sentence. Veterans use to cope with PTSD and a variety of other issues..

I disagree 100 percent in comparing the Gregory to men who have seen the worst that can be imagined. Two very different circumstances and respectfully disagree in that comparison.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
This is insulting to Combat Veterans, Gregory and Veterans don't belong in the same sentence. Veterans use to cope with PTSD and a variety of other issues..

I disagree 100 percent in comparing the Gregory to men who have seen the worst that can be imagined. Two very different circumstances and respectfully disagree in that comparison.
I’m a combat vet and you have absolutely no idea what the hell you are talking about.

75boyz

Reaction score
You guys act like as if enjoying a weed habit is akin to becoming a full blown meth addict.

Yet I'm sure there are many very successful NFL players that get completely hammered on booze a couple times a week, even during the season.

If he wants to come back on a cheap contract, IMO he should be allowed a chance to prove he wants to play.

Id take the on field talent of either of the Smoking Brothers Irving or Gregory back in a heartbeat. Now as for all the additional baggage drama that comes with either player...Maybe not so much.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I can't believe people only know about him smoking weed....

That is not his only problem, and he mentioned concussion problems as to why he's leaving football as well. Weed isn't going to cure his concussion problems. Dude blacked out and got into a car wreck over a concussion a couple years ago. Big fat no to this guy. And he has been a moron since college as well.

He's just not a smart guy - he has plenty of time, and I'm guessing, enough money to get himself some weed the rest of his life. Maybe the Commanders or Browns will sign him.
He also has a completely psychotic baby-mama that enjoys causing trouble.
Remember him going through all sorts of Hell with her because he got custody of their daughter?

phildadon86

Reaction score

Were you present at the onset of Gregory’s issues? Do you know if he was molested as a child? Do you know anything? No. So blanket statements like yours are disgusting. I am not a combat vet and I used to use because in the matter of a decade I lost my brother my fiancé and 3 very dear friends. Using drugs isn’t just for people with ptsd that served. Get your head out of your you know what.

HungryLion

Reaction score

Gregory could have PTSD too. None of us knows if he has suffered a terrible trauma or not.

it’s also been reported he has bipolar disorder. Which is a serious mental illness.

I think the overall point is. Why should the NFL continue to maintain a regressive policy when it comes to Marijuana, when it’s a legal substance in most of the areas where players live and is being used for legitimate medical reasons by a large number of Americans.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
what distraction? Go find me some article stalking about Irving being a distraction. Practice? you talkin bout practice? i dont care if he ever practices. When the man played, he was a beast, and the reason he didnt play was normally pot related. Correct me if im wrong. So you saying when he played he didnt play with intensity? uhmm,, I never heard that. When he played, he was normally our best pass rusher..... and CONSISTENTLY, unlike someone else we have.

I'm telling you during his last stint on the payroll we couldn't get him on the field even though we were trying to get into playoffs. As in he didn't want to play & didn't care about the team. All he wanted was to make up reasons why he couldn't play while collecting his checks. I think if you will read many of the other posts you will see that many are saying the same thing.

You give me 100% assurance that he would come in & be the player he COULD be, then sure everyone would agree to welcome him back. But he has a history which strongly suggests this this will not be the case so why waste any more time on him.