David Irving

cern

Reaction score
Tell me all the players who had high ankle sprains that never missed a game. High ankle sprains commonly take 5 - 8 weeks before players come back. That's an injury that if rushed back just get's reinjured easily where the player then misses even more time.
None I've ever heard.

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
Tell me all the players who had high ankle sprains that never missed a game. High ankle sprains commonly take 5 - 8 weeks before players come back. That's an injury that if rushed back just get's reinjured easily where the player then misses even more time.
We had Terrell Owens come back in 2 or 3 and Terence Newman went through with cortisone shots one year. Never said it was not dangerous and obviously any reinjury to a high ankle sprain could devastating.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
He hasn't done anything to increase his value to any team this year. Guessing his future is difficult. Not likely any other team will be as understanding. Que sera, sera.

I think the other 31 teams are well aware of what he can bring when healthy. It will depend on how many are willing to make an offer and risk him missing games from injury and/or suspension. If the Cowboys loaded up a contract that the majority of his salary is based on him having to play at least 14 games along with some performance incentives, I would be OK with that.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
We had Terrell Owens come back in 2 or 3 and Terence Newman went through with cortisone shots one year. Never said it was not dangerous and obviously any reinjury to a high ankle sprain could devastating.

I think you're confusing Owens when he was with the eagles and the Cowboys broke his leg in week 14 and he later played in their playoff game. I've also never heard of cortisone shots for a high ankle sprain and don't remember Newman doing that. Cortisone is generally use to help control inflammation like in the back like when Aikman had cortisone shots. Inflammation is not sprains. Also they generally only give 1 shot in a 6 week period so that to also makes me doubt that Newman had shots. Akiman had one in training camp and then about week 5 or 6 and then later in the season and even though he wanted another one they wouldn't do it.

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
I think you're confusing Owens when he was with the eagles and the Cowboys broke his leg in week 14 and he later played in their playoff game. I've also never heard of cortisone shots for a high ankle sprain and don't remember Newman doing that. Cortisone is generally use to help control inflammation like in the back like when Aikman had cortisone shots. Inflammation is not sprains. Also they generally only give 1 shot in a 6 week period so that to also makes me doubt that Newman had shots. Akiman had one in training camp and then about week 5 or 6 and then later in the season and even though he wanted another one they wouldn't do it.
Nope TO had a high ankle end of the 2007 season; he swore up and down he could have played the next week. Bragged about sleeping in his air chamber, ran around the field in warm ups, and started for the playoff game. If you cant remember how the 2007 ended then Im not surprised you dont remember Newmans injury either.

Regardless, this thread was about Irving coming back and how exciting it will be. It was not intended to be in detail examining high ankle sprains.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Realistically, I don't anticipate Irving coming in and dominating right off the bat. That's assuming he's due to return to the active lineup at all. If so, I'd say he'll be used, at best, in a rotational role until he shows he's 100% back and totally ready to outdo those who have already replaced him in the lineup.

Last edited:

cern

Reaction score
You dont say.
Yes, really. You are correct in that owens suffered a high ankle sprain in 2007 while with the cowboys. He also sprained his ankle while with the eagles. I think in 2004. Caused him to miss last 2 games of season.

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
Realistically, I don't anticipate Irving coming in and dominating right off the bat. That's assuming he's due to return to the active lineup at all. If so, I'd say he'll be used, at best, in a rotational role until he shows he's 100% back and totally ready to outdo those who have already replaced him in the lineup.
Thats true. Ive thought that as well, Im not sure Irving could leap anyone right now.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I've heard high ankle sprains are even worse than having a broken ankle. :(

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Are you talking about when Roy Williams broke Terrell Owen's ankle?

Willfreedom909

Reaction score
When Irving comes back him and d-law are going to make nfl teams require cat scans on the side of the field

Willfreedom909

Reaction score
Yes, really. You are correct in that owens suffered a high ankle sprain in 2007 while with the cowboys. He also sprained his ankle while with the eagles. I think in 2004. Caused him to miss last 2 games of season.
T.O really is the GOAT:oops::eek: