David Irving

Jinxx13x

Reaction score
I love what Irving Brings to the table ---- i do not mind the injury these things happen what i DESPISE AND HATE is the 4 game suspension to start the year that is ridiculous. I really hope he comes back soon what a site this D will be will all parts

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Or A roll of duct tape,,, look man! I know all about suffering the pain of impeded foundation from the ground up,,, & a wounded unit #95 is still superior to Field(IMO)

I once broke my shoulder Wakeboarding. We were on a trip and I wanted to continue boarding that weekend. I had my friends and girlfriend Duct Tape my upper arm to my body. I worked because you generally want to keep your elbows in to your side while Wakeboarding anyway.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You know what it was, that 2016 season he had those splash games, like the one against GB. DLaw hadnt really taken over just yet.

If it's just a Raw Talent comparison, I probably give Irving the nod over DLaw.

DLaw has made himself into a great player with a great work ethic and has developed a high football IQ but he does not have freak athletic ability like DWare.

Irving just shows up and plays and the results are all based on Raw Talent without the work ethic or football IQ.

Dez succeed on Raw Talent alone. He had a very low football IQ and his work ethic in regards to watching film, studying the playbook and showing up on time. Fans saw his intensity in videos of practice and thought that equated to a great work ethic but in the NFL that's not work ethic, that's showboating.

Sometimes you can have a player with character issues off the field but a great work ethic and high football IQ. Mike Irvin fit that description. Nobody worked harder on those Super Bowls teams but nobody partied harder off the field.

The current issue with Irving is injury related. We can't really judge if character is also a factor right now. There was report that he was not at practice due to personal issues but we don't know any of the details and don't know if that was 1 practice or multiple. Garrett does not give out more than the basic minimum details about these types of issues.

A high ankle sprain is normally a multi-week injury. When its classified as a high ankle sprain vs just an ankle sprain it's normally a much much more serious issue.

If he comes back near the end of the season and is available for the playoffs he can still have a big impact on the team. It's always good to get some players back near the end of the season because they are well rested; whereas, all the other players have tired legs and are normally playing though minor injuries (or significant injuries like DLaw's shoulder).f

Summary: If Irving had his act together, he would be in line to get a similar contract to what DLaw is going to get; however, due to the character issues he'll only get about 1/10 the salary of DLaw in 2019.

Pants

Reaction score
biggest difference to me (example)

DLAW talks trash, backs it up, Dallas beats one of the top teams, he impresses most people in the league with his play
Irving (who doesn't deserve a cutesy nickname) can't even decide to play football, can't impress his family, let alone the football world

until Irving can get is act together and WANT to compete, he is dead to me....I am glad that the team is not waiting for him to get his head on straight

Verdict

Reaction score
IDK....Irving looks like a dumpster fire to me

There was a reason he fell in the draft and a reason KC gave up on him after one year

If Irving hasn't put it together since he rookie year, he's probably not going to.

Verdict

Reaction score
About the only thing you can do with a guy like Irving is try to get him on a cheap incentive laden deal that doesn't hurt your cap and you have to KNOW that he is going to miss half the games because he is such a tool. So you have to plan accordingly.

He's good enough that in those 8 games he may be enough of a factor that he may win you one or two because he is on your team. On the other hand, when he's gone he may cost you a game, and if you go long at his position, if injuries hit you at a position you went short at to keep him around then it may cost you a game or more.

Whether he is worth the headache is the subject of legitimate debate. He can be the difference maker when he's healthy. If you have a lot of injuries his roster spot is too valuable to have a guy you know isn't going to play a full season. It's a significant handicap.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
About the only thing you can do with a guy like Irving is try to get him on a cheap incentive laden deal that doesn't hurt your cap and you have to KNOW that he is going to miss half the games because he is such a tool. So you have to plan accordingly.

He's good enough that in those 8 games he may be enough of a factor that he may win you one or two because he is on your team. On the other hand, when he's gone he may cost you a game, and if you go long at his position, if injuries hit you at a position you went short at to keep him around then it may cost you a game or more.

Whether he is worth the headache is the subject of legitimate debate. He can be the difference maker when he's healthy. If you have a lot of injuries his roster spot is too valuable to have a guy you know isn't going to play a full season. It's a significant handicap.
if you can pay him and treat him like your 8th best DL then we can keep him

but someone will pay him way too much.....teams are flush with cap space

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I bet this thread goes down hill real fast with all the Irving haters about to do their stupid insult post again.

Can you stop with this BS like we can’t criticize any player?

David Irving is a knucklehead who is injury prone. The freakin’ guy blacked out and crashed his car due to a concussion. 1 or two more of those and he’s out of the league.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Can you stop with this BS like we can’t criticize any player?

David Irving is a knucklehead who is injury prone. The freakin’ guy blacked out and crashed his car due to a concussion. 1 or two more of those and he’s out of the league.

Not giving BS. So you stop your BS. Which you are full of.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Not giving BS. So you stop your BS. Which you are full of.

You’re attempting gate keeping, and every time you try it, I will call you out on it.

God freakin’ forbid people not be excited about a player who plays about 7 games a season due to injuries and off the field problems...

Imagine wanting to die on that hill.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You’re attempting gate keeping, and every time you try it, I will call you out on it.

God freakin’ forbid people not be excited about a player who plays about 7 games a season due to injuries and off the field problems...

Imagine wanting to die on that hill.

No you won’t call me out on anything. I am tired of all your negative crap anyway. On ignore you go for a while.
Not attempting anything, you just want to post stupid arguments.
So as to not allow you to waste my time, I am done with your negative crap.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Pretty clear he has issues well beyond football.

I would say I care but let's be honest, the only reason anyone is emotionally invested in what he does is whether or not he suits up again and makes plays.

Hailmary

Reaction score
I'd sign him to a one year prove it deal. He needs it more than us at this point but I still want this guy next year b/c I think we can make a run next season if get a new OC and keep everyone together.
I'm all for bringing him back for another year, but if I can get him for 3 or 4 on the cheap, I'd prefer that. As talented as he, his stock is way down. Hoping the FO will take advantage.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
He would be very handy to have right now. Just one more player to cause problems upfront,makes it that much more difficult for opponents to handle. It’s enough for them right now,but adding Irving to the rotation,really gives a offense no chance for rest.

Hailmary

Reaction score
Did people say Irving was better based on just comparing talent?

DLaw and Irving are not far apart in talent.

Obviously, as DLaw is drastically ahead of Irving as an overall player because talent does not matter when the player is not on the field, but if somebody said that Irving had more talent than DLaw, I would be hard pressed to argue against them.
Agreed. Dlaw is ahead in terms of hustle and technique. Irving is ahead in terms of pure raw ability.

cern

Reaction score
It appears to me that irving just needs drama in his life. He's drawn to it. I prefer to nip problems in the bud. Hardy, pacman, ro mcclain, et. AL. Leopards don't change their spots.

silvrNblue

Reaction score
I bet this thread goes down hill real fast with all the Irving haters about to do their stupid insult post again.
So, coming out against a turd who misses the 4 games a season due to doping, can't stay on the field with even a slight bo bo, Mr personal excuses of any kind to miss playing, were stupid? ROFLMAO