Dawn of Justice

Kevinicus

Reaction score
But... To "break even" really?

Is that true... Based on what figures?

General rule of thumb is (Production costs + marketing costs) * 2.

The studios don't get the full price of the tickets sold. The theaters get some of that as well. The studio gets more early on, but as time goes on the theaters take a bigger chunk. The studios also get a greater percentage of the revenue from the domestic take than they do from foreign markets.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
General rule of thumb is (Production costs + marketing costs) * 2.

The studios don't get the full price of the tickets sold. The theaters get some of that as well. The studio gets more early on, but as time goes on the theaters take a bigger chunk. The studios also get a greater percentage of the revenue from the domestic take than they do from foreign markets.

Interesting. Thanks.
I found this too

Dan Holliday on Quora

No. Movie Math is tricky business. First some interesting facts:

• Movie productions are clouded in the shadiest math on planet Earth. Colombian drug lords are more transparent.
  • This movie would actually need to make about a billion to just pay for itself. The budget was $250 million + easily an equal amount in the massive promotion done globally. Much of that promotion is footed off on distributors and theaters, but $250 million was easily spent globally.
  • Ticket sales are only shared about half with the studio. Less for overseas box office receipts. At that rate, it ends up being FAR in excess of a billion USD to cover the costs. More like $1.2 billion.
  • Even then, a movie like this need not make a lot of money --if any-- at all. Movies like this are giant 150 minute commercials. Disney has figured this out -- they don't even try to make money on their movies. They want to. They would love to, but Disney's main source of profit come from parks, rebroadcast rights, video sales, tie-ins (fast food promotions), tax rebates (for filming in a specific area) and toy sales (the biggest of all).
  • This movie will never break even in theaters. It doesn't have to. The global video sales, rebroadcast rights, cross-marketing and toys will be the main source of profit.
  • Lastly, this movie is a part of a franchise. In the world of selling ****, "sales now" always are the primary focus. As long as revenue comes in, and that revenue keeps a stream of other revenue coming in, the whole thing is worthwhile. Profits are always key, but this movie is generating other franchises that don't cost as much. It's priming the pump for a continued revenue stream from all the other movies, future toys, and on and on.
Written 28 Mar

Teren_Kanan

Reaction score
Yuck. Hated nearly everything about Bales batman. Then again, Dark Knight was the only movie of that Trilogy I enjoyed, and it was in spite of Bale, not because of it.
Also hated Man of Steel. Sloppy mess of a movie that was full of potential.

Batman vs Superman. This movie was full of problems. Terrible, sloppy problems. But I enjoyed it. I would actually go see it again and intend to.
I'll go more into detail later, but in short.
They did a terrible job of Establishing Superman himself, his character, his motivations.
Lex was not established what so ever.

Batman was done fantastically and I am REALLY looking forward to his solo movie. My favorite Batman/Bruce so far, even if it's vastly different than the comic book lore.
Movie was visually awesome.
The actual Batman vs Superman fight was fun, brutal. Loved it.
Trio vs Doomsday was good, though a little weak on the actual battling. 80% of the time it was just superman flying it into new positions. I wanted to see them go fisticuffs a lot more ala the comics.

I liked the Injustice plot line brought in via Flash cameo.
The Justice League videos looked like bad fan made Youtube videos.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Yuck. Hated nearly everything about Bales batman. Then again, Dark Knight was the only movie of that Trilogy I enjoyed, and it was in spite of Bale, not because of it.
Also hated Man of Steel. Sloppy mess of a movie that was full of potential.

Batman vs Superman. This movie was full of problems. Terrible, sloppy problems. But I enjoyed it. I would actually go see it again and intend to.
I'll go more into detail later, but in short.
They did a terrible job of Establishing Superman himself, his character, his motivations.
Lex was not established what so ever.

Batman was done fantastically and I am REALLY looking forward to his solo movie. My favorite Batman/Bruce so far, even if it's vastly different than the comic book lore.
Movie was visually awesome.
The actual Batman vs Superman fight was fun, brutal. Loved it.
Trio vs Doomsday was good, though a little weak on the actual battling. 80% of the time it was just superman flying it into new positions. I wanted to see them go fisticuffs a lot more ala the comics.

I liked the Injustice plot line brought in via Flash cameo.
The Justice League videos looked like bad fan made Youtube videos.

You hated everything about Bales Batman, but Snyder's (Afllecks) Batman was fantastic? His Bruce Wayne was just him doing Ben Affleck. And his Batman had glowing eyes. I guess that is fantastic somewhat. lol. I'll take Nolan's Batman every day of the week over anything directed by Snyder. No matter who the actor is.

Last edited:

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Went to see it this afternoon.

Good... not great. Luv the action. The plot was here, there & everywhere.

You would have to watch it at least a couple times to get all of the nuances.

7/10.

Went to the Wednesday afternoon 3:25 showing... We were the only ones in the theater.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
You hated everything about Bales Batman, but Snyder's (Afllecks) Batman was fantastic? His Bruce Wayne was just him doing Ben Affleck. And his Batman had glowing eyes. I guess that is fantastic somewhat. lol. I'll take Nolan's Batman every day of the week over anything directed by Snyder. No matter who the actor is.

I think Bale's Bruce Wayne is superior, which makes sense, he's a better actor. I love Affleck's grumpy, brutal Batman though - a lot of which has to do with Snyder, and may be one of the things he's really added to the reboot.

Batman Begin's is still my favorite from the Nolan series, in that the movie is actually about Batman, even if Heath stole the show on Dark Knight.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score

Agreed. Christopher Nolan probably has 10 movies that rank better than anything Snyder has ever done. As far as Nolan's Batman movies, The Dark Knight is one of the best movies of all time. See #4:

http://www.imdb.com/chart/top?ref_=nv_mv_250_6

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
I think Bale's Bruce Wayne is superior, which makes sense, he's a better actor. I love Affleck's grumpy, brutal Batman though - a lot of which has to do with Snyder, and may be one of the things he's really added to the reboot.

Batman Begin's is still my favorite from the Nolan series, in that the movie is actually about Batman, even if Heath stole the show on Dark Knight.

Bale is th better actor.

Affleck is a mixture of good actor/movie star.

You gotta admit... That exchange between Clark and Bruce where Ben does a dismissive huff and starts making fun of clowns in costumes.... That was pretty good.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Bale is th better actor.

Affleck is a mixture of good actor/movie star.

You gotta admit... That exchange between Clark and Bruce where Ben does a dismissive huff and starts making fun of clowns in costumes.... That was pretty good.

Yeah, so good I wish I hadn't seen the entire scene in the trailer.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Yeah, so good I wish I hadn't seen the entire scene in the trailer.

Yeah man.

A total panic in releasing entire movie, so it seemed, in trailers.

Hearing that first time in theater would have been nice.... You would heard the audience say, "oh, it's on like donkey kong"... Lmao

Dodger12

Reaction score
(Spoiler Alert........)

Just saw BvS last night and it was bad, just bad.

-No flow
-No plot
-No character development for Wonder Woman or Lex
-No real explanation why Lex is who he is or why he becomes a homicidal maniac
-I can buy that he hates Superman for the threat he poses but then why hate Batman who also hates Superman?
-What's the significance of the bullets and what was so "special" about them that they just had to be used by this group?
-And the CIA was on to Lex and his group (in Africa) and they were tracking the agent's movement in the film, obviously suspect of Lex's organization, but then the Government gives him access to the the Kryptonian ship and Zod?
-Superman can save Lois just seconds after being thrown of a roof by Lex or when she is taken hostage in Africa or when she is drowning but he can't find and save his mother? Even though he "sensed" danger for her in MoS when the Kryptonians showed up at the farm.......
-Lex just walks into the Kryptonian ship with Zod's lifted finger prints but, wait for it, he brings a dead Zod with him. For a computer that has the knowledge of over 100,000 planets, it's pretty damn stupid that it gives Lex complete access.
-Hey, Lex hates Superman because he is all powerful and a threat to the planet and what does Lex do? He creates Doomsday, another powerful, all destroying, killing machine.
-Speaking of Doomsday, how do you mix Zod's DNA with Lex's DNA and come out with that non-human/non-Kryptonian looking thing?
-The scenes of Aquaman, Flash, Cyborg and WW were just "add-ins" with no apparent explanation or reason. Hey, Aquaman seems to have spent most of his life in the shadows and an underwater camera just happens to find him in some "hole" somewhere in the middle of the ocean? And does Aquaman avoid the camera? No, he just looks right at it.
-Why did Superman confront Batman when Batman was chasing the bad guys who had the Kryptonite....you know, the same bad guys from Africa. But Superman lets them go even though they had heavy weaponry and goes after Batman?
-So Batman hates Superman because of the threat he poses and Superman hates Batman because.........he's viewed as a vigilante and "brands" the crooks?
-So Superman is all powerful, not a threat (MoS) and is as American as apple pie (he grew up in Kansas, you know) but Lex can talk him into killing Batman to save his mother?
-What was the purpose of Clark seeing his father in a frozen wasteland stacking brinks? I mean, ***?
-I kept waiting for some development of the Wonder Woman character. And I did like the character/actress. How does she show up at these parties? What brings her to Metropolis/Gotham? What is her name? Other than a 100 year old photograph, who is she? How would Lex know about her to even find and keep the photo?
-And did Bruce Wayne/Batman really need that five o'clock shadow throughout the film? Was that thought out or didn't anyone notice it?

I could go on and on. This movie was horribly bad and I couldn't wait until it was over. I liked Cavill as Superman and gave MoS the benefit of the doubt. It was a different take on the character that I thought was unique in the sense that Superman was viewed as an alien, first and foremost, and how the world would react to an all-powerful alien being. He was more of a moody, confused, love-struck alien in BvS and this film did nothing to build on his character.

Reactions: BAZ

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
<SPOILERS>

Sometime soon, I feel @cml750 and @REDVOLUTION are gonna make me regret this post but I'm a stickler for self-induced punishment :muttley: so...
-And the CIA was on to Lex and his group (in Africa) and they were tracking the agent's movement in the film, obviously suspect of Lex's organization, but then the Government gives him access to the the Kryptonian ship and Zod?
Perhaps the CIA wants Luthor to fabricate a Superman counter measure. Maybe Cadmus and the CIA are collaborating on such a deterrent. I do agree it should've been explained in detail for some of the audience.
-Superman can save Lois just seconds after being thrown of a roof by Lex or when she is taken hostage in Africa or when she is drowning but he can't find and save his mother? Even though he "sensed" danger for her in MoS when the Kryptonians showed up at the farm.......
Superman has super senses including hearing and sight but not spidey sense. He can see and hear only what he focuses his senses towards at any given moment. He saw and/or heard Lois in danger by the terrorists. Ms. Lang is a professional Pultizer winning journalist and has been in her share of dangerous situations before meeting Clark but he's Superman, she's his lady and he was keeping tabs on her knowing she was investigating. Sue him.

(EDIT: In Man of Steel, Superman knew the Kryptonians were searching for the Kodex, the key to converting Earth into a new Krypton. Where would they search for the Kodex after reading his mind on the Kryptonian ship? The farm. Where was Martha? The farm, where Faora-Ul destroyed the Kent barn looking for the Kodex and a pissed off Zod launched the Kent truck into the Kent house. Superman didn't "sense" Martha's danger until he stopped to think about the Kryptonians and where they may be after saving Lois. A split-second of super hearing focused on the farm and pow--Superman was flying at super speed straight for Martha.) Martha was dumping trash in a back alley and was likely tranquilized before getting grabbed. Superman would be clueless about the abduction unless he trained his senses towards her that exact moment. Superman isn't an all-powerful being so finding Martha after she was taken would take some detective work--an expertise that Batman excels.
-Hey, Lex hates Superman because he is all powerful and a threat to the planet and what does Lex do? He creates Doomsday, another powerful, all destroying, killing machine.
I half-heartedly reply about this particular observation. Luthor's a genius so I think he built a kill switch into Doomsday but my guess would be completely irrelevant if true because Doomsday would've killed Luthor instantly if Superman hadn't been there to prevent Luthor from being punched into orbit.
-Speaking of Doomsday, how do you mix Zod's DNA with Lex's DNA and come out with that non-human/non-Kryptonian looking thing?
I think when the Kryptonian computer warned Luthor the Krypton council outlawed re-animating dead people because it was an abomination--it was due to the practice of re-animating people resulted in abominations.
-The scenes of Aquaman, Flash, Cyborg and WW were just "add-ins" with no apparent explanation or reason. Hey, Aquaman seems to have spent most of his life in the shadows and an underwater camera just happens to find him in some "hole" somewhere in the middle of the ocean? And does Aquaman avoid the camera? No, he just looks right at it.
Diana steals Luthor/military encrypted files. She doesn't have the resources to crack the encryption and hands them back to Bruce. Bruce has the resources, breaks the encryption, gets the info he wants, and emails the unencrypted files to Diana. Diana secures what she did not want humanity having--namely the picture. Curiosity, a mutual human and Amazonian trait, prompted Diana to open the other files Luthor had appropriated without consent. Warner Bros. and DC are establishing the Justice League franchise, which explains the additional files on Flash, Cyborg, and Aquaman--likely pawns Luthor intelligence network discovered and hopefully exploit to destroy Superman. I may be wrong but I believe Aquaman spotted a submersible vessel of some type that may not have been shaped in the form of a camera. The vessel may have surprised him, which would explain his hesitation as he was assessing what the vessel was and what was it's purpose. Generally, all living things with eyes look directly at something that has caught their attention.
-So Batman hates Superman because of the threat he poses and Superman hates Batman because.........he's viewed as a vigilante and "brands" the crooks?
Batman has devoted his life to protecting the citizens of Gotham. He witnessed the destruction created by the Kryptonians, which killed not only thousands of Metropolitans but hundreds of Wayne Corp. employees also. He comprehends the magnitude of Superman's power and his people's technology, which was literally on the brink of destroying all life on earth. Batman didn't know Superman personally to gauge what type of person he was. Batman doesn't know whether Superman will attract similar extra-worldly threats in the future. He does know that he and the rest of humanity have successfully dealt with other human threats in the past. That changed with Superman. Killing Superman was an option that would possibly eliminate future impossible threats to humanity's existence. The fights involving Superman, Doomsday and Wonder Wonder taught Batman who Superman was and what Superman would sacrifice for humanity's survival.
-So Superman is all powerful, not a threat (MoS) and is as American as apple pie (he grew up in Kansas, you know) but Lex can talk him into killing Batman to save his mother?
People have been placed in impossible situations since the dawn of time because of their love for family. What would a child do if he or she had zero options to save their parent?
-I kept waiting for some development of the Wonder Woman character. And I did like the character/actress. How does she show up at these parties? What brings her to Metropolis/Gotham? What is her name? Other than a 100 year old photograph, who is she? How would Lex know about her to even find and keep the photo?
It stinks but people must wait until the Wonder Woman film to find answers to some of these questions. I think it stinks because Warner/DC could have stayed with Disney/Marvel's blueprint and released the Wonder Woman movie before BvS. That blame goes beyond Snyder. Some answers are reasonable if the audience knows and accepts who Princess Diana is based upon her mythos. She's royalty/she can afford parties, influence decision-makers with money, etc. She wants to secure the picture/she crashes parties or any other locale following leads on the picture. Lexcorp is a multinational corporation with deep pockets and wildly diverse investments/Luthor devoted his enormous resources to destroying Superman.

Last edited:

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Superman isn't an all-powerful being so finding Martha after she was taken would take some detective work--an expertise that Batman excels..

So superman's ONLY weakness is kryptonite. Yes, Batman, who has no powers, excels at detective work over Superman? Based on what? No one on earth knows the kryptonian mind and what level it exceeds. Or what depth it can achieve. You are going only by your so called human experience on how you view Superman. Superman holds himself back, which seems in peoples eyes he isn't all powerful/ He is the only one who knows what he is capable of.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
So superman's ONLY weakness is kryptonite. Yes, Batman, who has no powers, excels at detective work over Superman? Based on what? No one on earth knows the kryptonian mind and what level it exceeds. Or what depth it can achieve. You are going only by your so called human experience on how you view Superman. Superman holds himself back, which seems in peoples eyes he isn't all powerful/ He is the only one who knows what he is capable of.

Batman is literally called, in the DC World, "The World's Greatest Detective."

Now Superman may not be from "The World", but he's certainly inhabiting it currently.

Also, Superman's weaknesses aren't limited to Kryptonite. His other famous weaknesses are a red sun (or basically, non-yellow sun) and magic.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe I should've gone with omnipotent instead of 'all-powerful'.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Batman is literally called, in the DC World, "The World's Greatest Detective."

Now Superman may not be from "The World", but he's certainly inhabiting it currently.

Also, Superman's weaknesses aren't limited to Kryptonite. His other famous weaknesses are a red sun (or basically, non-yellow sun) and magic.

If Superman uses his full powers of the mind and his body, he can do it on a scale unlike Batman, using a human mind can't understand.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
If Superman uses his full powers of the mind and his body, he can do it on a scale unlike Batman, using a human mind can't understand.

I don't believe that to be true, but we're talking about imaginary characters so believe what you want.

In Watchmen, Dr. Manhattan is basically what would happen if Superman were indeed omnipotent.

The reason Superman resonates is because he's capable of making mistakes. No one cares about an infinitely strong, infinitely smart dude.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't believe that to be true, but we're talking about imaginary characters so believe what you want.

In Watchmen, Dr. Manhattan is basically what would happen if Superman were indeed omnipotent.

The reason Superman resonates is because he's capable of making mistakes. No one cares about an infinitely strong, infinitely smart dude.
The Beyonder from Marvel Comics is another good example of omnipotence--although he wouldn't be classified as a superhero.