DC.COM: Blog: Dime Look Could Slow Skins' Cooley

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Dime Look Could Slow Skins' Cooley
Posted by jellis at 9/25/2008 3:56 PM CDT on truebluefanclub.com

Commanders tight end Chris Cooley was playing at a high level long before finally earning his first Pro Bowl trip in February. The Cowboys saw how dangerous he could be way back in 2005, when he hauled in six catches for 71 yards and three touchdowns against them.

Those three scores on Dec. 18, 2005 remain a career record, and it's the only multiple touchdown game he has had. His performance during that 35-7 drubbing of the Cowboys signaled that he was one tight end who couldn't be overlooked, and he hasn't had nearly as much success against them since.

Well, the Cowboys may have a better battle plan than ever Sunday, when they move cornerback Anthony Henry in to cover him on passing downs. With the dime defensive look the team has been fairly successful covering tight ends through three games.
Green Bay's Donald Lee had five catches but only 41 yards Sunday. In week two Philly's L.J. Smith caught just one ball for 10 yards, and Kellen Winslow was virtually a non-factor in the opener. He caught Cleveland's lone touchdown pass, but finished with just five catches and 47 yards.

That said, Wade Phillips and the Cowboys have had their eye on how Washington deploys its star tight end.

"You still have to know where he is," Phillips said. "They don't do as much two tight end, three tight end as they have in the past. With only one tight end in the game, you know basically where he is. He's still effective and he's still a good receiver and blocker."
-Josh Ellis

Don Corleone

Reaction score
Cbz40;2286055 said:
Those three scores on Dec. 18, 2005 remain a career record, and it's the only multiple touchdown game he has had. His performance during that 35-7 drubbing of the Cowboys signaled that he was one tight end who couldn't be overlooked, and he hasn't had nearly as much success against them since.

Ugghhh! I remember that game vividly. I had to watch it at a sports bar in Leipzig, Germany, and they shut the place down just before the start of the 4th quarter. :mad:

That day, Drew Bledsoe was truly statuesque, our defense had 2 left feet, and our playoff hopes were finished.

:(

StylisticS

Reaction score
Don Corleone;2286063 said:
Ugghhh! I remember that game vividly. I had to watch it at a sports bar in Leipzig, Germany, and they shut the place down just before the start of the 4th quarter. :mad:

That day, Drew Bledsoe was truly statuesque, our defense had 2 left feet, and our playoff hopes were finished.

:(

I think we all have stories of that game. I never seen Dallas lose like that to the Commanders when it happened. I'm only 25. I'd like to simply bury that season deep into memory. Hate even thinking about it. Did enjoy sweeping the Eagles that year, though.:D

gambit187

Reaction score
Newman, Pac and Jenkins should be able to lock down

Moss, El...and thomas

Leaving Henry on Cooley......I like that alot

SkinsHokieFan

Reaction score
gambit187;2286175 said:
Newman, Pac and Jenkins should be able to lock down

Moss, El...and thomas

Leaving Henry on Cooley......I like that alot

Really? Newman is elite, but Pac and a rook in Jenkins able to shut down all 3?

Zorn won't just leave Moss on the outside to be easily covered by Newman. And if it ends up with either Pac or Jenkins on Moss, look out

I only wish Roy Williams was playing :(

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
StylisticS;2286123 said:
I think we all have stories of that game. I never seen Dallas lose like that to the Commanders when it happened. I'm only 25. I'd like to simply bury that season deep into memory. Hate even thinking about it. Did enjoy sweeping the Eagles that year, though.:D

Not only did I have tickets to that game... but I had tickets to a luxury box. The line for the elevator up to the suites took forever to get through and there was no way to watch the game as you waited in line. By the time I got up to the box, Bledsoe had already thrown a pick and we were down 7-0. :bang2:

gambit187

Reaction score
SkinsHokieFan;2286185 said:
Really? Newman is elite, but Pac and a rook in Jenkins able to shut down all 3?

Zorn won't just leave Moss on the outside to be easily covered by Newman. And if it ends up with either Pac or Jenkins on Moss, look out

I only wish Roy Williams was playing :(

Yeah Did i stutter SkinsHokieFan

Newman on Moss
Pac on El
Jenkins on Thomas

So YOUR ROOKIE Thomas is up to snuff, but OUR ROOKIE JENKINS IS NOT.
:laugh2: SKINS HOMERISM AT ITS BEST

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
We have a great defensive back field......I have never seen us with this many good players.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Danny White;2286187 said:
Not only did I have tickets to that game... but I had tickets to a luxury box. The line for the elevator up to the suites took forever to get through and there was no way to watch the game as you waited in line. By the time I got up to the box, Bledsoe had already thrown a pick and we were down 7-0. :bang2:
That just so happened to be the first (and hopefully last) time I watched a Boys-Skins game with a rabid and completely obnoxious Skins fan. I thought I was going to punch him in the throat.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I really hope they do shut him down. If they can shut down Cooley and Portis then I feel VERY good about the outcome of this game.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
both guys haven't done squat against us for a good minute

I dont' think that changes

I can envision Santana Moss giving us some problems though

kTXe

On To The Next One
Reaction score
peplaw06;2286497 said:
That just so happened to be the first (and hopefully last) time I watched a Boys-Skins game with a rabid and completely obnoxious Skins fan. I thought I was going to punch him in the throat.
That is the only game I can remember turning off before halftime. When Cooley scored his longer TD, with Newman basically falling at his shoelaces in an attempted tackle, I went ballistic. Broke my remote, a glass, and my door then stormed out of my apartment leaving my 'Skins fan roommate to clean up the mess. I spent the next hour driving about 100 mph down random back roads to try and cool off.

SkinsHokieFan

Reaction score
gambit187;2286221 said:
Yeah Did i stutter SkinsHokieFan

Newman on Moss
Pac on El
Jenkins on Thomas

So YOUR ROOKIE Thomas is up to snuff, but OUR ROOKIE JENKINS IS NOT.
:laugh2: SKINS HOMERISM AT ITS BEST

Wow dude, another inane argument from you

Do you think Zorn is just gonna line up and say "hey I'll let the Cowboys get the matchups they want"

Not at all my DC friend not at all. Am I really worried about Pac Man? Not at all kid, I saw him play plenty at WVU as well as in the pros, and he really has built his reputation on the one game he had against the Gints in '06

So again, did I stutter?

SkinsHokieFan

Reaction score
eman721;2286555 said:
That is the only game I can remember turning off before halftime. When Cooley scored his longer TD, with Newman basically falling at his shoelaces in an attempted tackle, I went ballistic. Broke my remote, a glass, and my door then stormed out of my apartment leaving my 'Skins fan roommate to clean up the mess. I spent the next hour driving about 100 mph down random back roads to try and cool off.

Yeesh really? I love this rivalry too, but its just a game man. Not life or death :)