DC.COM: Blog: Dime Look Could Slow Skins' Cooley

superpunk

Reaction score
firehawk350;2287214 said:
Not meaningless, just not able to discern the meaning. If Moss or Pac plays slower than they time (and I don't really see that honestly) then we'd look at game speed, but given they both seem to play to the way they time, looking at the difference between a 4.4 guy and a 4.3 guy is big. One has good speed, the other has elite.
There's a difference between discerning the meaning and exaggerating it to make Santana look like a difference maker.

It's clear which route you've chosen.

firehawk350

Reaction score
RedskinNation;2287222 said:
Who is starting this week in place of RW? Watkins? I will miss seeing Roy back there!!!

Did RW ever say why he changed is # to 38?
A quick search would tell you because he wanted a fresh start.

aikemirv

Reaction score
firehawk350;2287203 said:
Here's a hint, if you play press, guess which way you are facing? Unless a corner can make up ground after having to flip his hips or has help over top, playing press isn't the best idea.

To comment on the thread title, do you plan on yanking a safety (in that case, press plus having a single safety equals not such a great idea) or a LB (I stop wondering why Westbrook had such a good game against you guys if this is the case) when you go dime?

Press on Moss at the line of scrimmage will completely throw Campbell off his game. That little out is his bread and butter. You take that away from them and they have little to nothing. That is why he averages about 6yds per attempt.

Pac and Jenkins are physical enough to press and if you put a safety over the top Campbell will be looking somewhere else and well... somewhere else really does not worry me that much.

firehawk350

Reaction score
superpunk;2287236 said:
There's a difference between discerning the meaning and exaggerating it to make Santana look like a difference maker.

It's clear which route you've chosen.
One guy is faster, he also has the advantage of starting face forward. Bottom line, Pacman isn't faster than him (by a fair amount) and in order to play press coverage like you guys seem to think he should, he needs to be able to recover or you need to put a guy over him. Whether or not he's actually considerably slower than Moss is irrelevant, to play those tactics, he has to be considerably faster, which he is not.

RedskinNation

Reaction score
firehawk350;2287237 said:
A quick search would tell you because he wanted a fresh start.

I while I was visiting this site I did the quick search via the messageboard...thanks for the info!

HTTR!

firehawk350

Reaction score
aikemirv;2287241 said:
Press on Moss at the line of scrimmage will completely throw Campbell off his game. That little out is his bread and butter. You take that away from them and they have little to nothing. That is why he averages about 6yds per attempt.

Pac and Jenkins are physical enough to press and if you put a safety over the top Campbell will be looking somewhere else and well... somewhere else really does not worry me that much.
A slant is a good way to beat press coverage and we can throw that decently. Play press against Moss and you defend against the screen, out, and comeback routes, but you remain vulnerable against screen, in, go and post.

firehawk350

Reaction score
RedskinNation;2287244 said:
I while I was visiting this site I did the quick search via the messageboard...thanks for the info!

HTTR!
Yeah, that would have been difficult, I would have just googled it.

Reaction score
firehawk350;2287251 said:
A slant is a good way to beat press coverage and we can throw that decently. Play press against Moss and you defend against the screen, out, and comeback routes, but you remain vulnerable against screen, in, go and post.

Moss is going to get jammed 2 yards deep everytime by the Pac....

Only time Moss will have a shot at a big play is if Henry tries to jam and misses.. Then hopefully the has some help. Other than that, no worries. Campbell wont have time to throw ducks anyway.

firehawk350

Reaction score
McCordsville Cowboy;2287259 said:
Moss is going to get jammed 2 yards deep everytime by the Pac....

Only time Moss will have a shot at a big play is if Henry tries to jam and misses.. Then hopefully the has some help. Other than that, no worries. Campbell wont have time to throw ducks anyway.
How many INTs does this vaunted secondary of yours have? Does it even beat Horton's INT total?

Nexx

Reaction score
cooley, you cant stop him, you can only hope to contain him!

aikemirv

Reaction score
firehawk350;2287251 said:

You throw a WR screen on press coverage and you are going to get a quick pick 6.

Comeback routes maybe but press is going to stop that little out.

You act like Moss is a superstar or something:rolleyes:

RedskinNation

Reaction score
firehawk350;2287252 said:
Yeah, that would have been difficult, I would have just googled it.

Was going to but UNC bball coaches, Detriot WR's and probably 50 other famous Roy Williams' would have jammed me up.

Thanks for the info.

HTTR!

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
firehawk350;2287267 said:
How many INTs does this vaunted secondary of yours have? Does it even beat Horton's INT total?

You will have to excuse us, we havent played Eli Manning or Kurt Warner yet.

We have been playing you know, Rodgers who hasnt thrown one in any game and donovan mcnabb who is the hardest to intercept in the history of the nfl.

Now, care to wager if we get one this week? Last year campbell had his great day throwing on reeves and williams. throw in nate jones in the dime and akin ayodele in the base and there were many yards to be had.

Not one of those players will be on the field sunday. So it should be interesting.

I am terrified of Moss on pacman. On paper that should be a good matchup but I think if the Commanders were smart they would throw deep there all day.

superpunk

Reaction score
McCordsville Cowboy;2287281 said:
Is he the next elite safety in the league?
Shawn Tailur has been reincarnated - only Horton misses less tackles and gets beat deep less.

gambit187

Reaction score
firehawk350;2287216 said:
I never saw Saunders say that. Link? Furthermore, it's well known the Saunders playbook is only slightly less complicated than quantum physics. Besides, my comment stands, if he struggles with the basic concepts behind one subject, it doesn't translate into being as dumb as a box of rocks.

Dude that was reported all over the DC media area last year. In the Times, Post, Blogs..........at one point they were talking about how they were only using a tiny fraction of his playbook due to the inability of Campbell to grasp it. My oh my how we have a short memory.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
theebs;2287305 said:
You will have to excuse us, we havent played Eli Manning or Kurt Warner yet.

We have been playing you know, Rodgers who hasnt thrown one in any game and donovan mcnabb who is the hardest to intercept in the history of the nfl.

Now, care to wager if we get one this week? Last year campbell had his great day throwing on reeves and williams. throw in nate jones in the dime and akin ayodele in the base and there were many yards to be had.

Not one of those players will be on the field sunday. So it should be interesting.

I am terrified of Moss on pacman. On paper that should be a good matchup but I think if the Commanders were smart they would throw deep there all day.

Newman had a nice pick at Texas Stadium against the Skins last year that sealed the victory.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Don Corleone;2287352 said:
Newman had a nice pick at Texas Stadium against the Skins last year that sealed the victory.

he sure did.

We have never had enough good corners for newman to lineup alot with moss. I think this week moss will face newman more than he ever has.

Should be a battle, they are both above average players.

aikemirv

Reaction score
theebs;2287353 said:
he sure did.

We have never had enough good corners for newman to lineup alot with moss. I think this week moss will face newman more than he ever has.

Should be a battle, they are both above average players.

Newman is not 100%. He seemed to be avoiding contact last week. I am not sure where he is at physically,but I think he will stay in the slot.

shnagy

Reaction score
firehawk350;2287242 said:
One guy is faster, he also has the advantage of starting face forward. Bottom line, Pacman isn't faster than him (by a fair amount) and in order to play press coverage like you guys seem to think he should, he needs to be able to recover or you need to put a guy over him. Whether or not he's actually considerably slower than Moss is irrelevant, to play those tactics, he has to be considerably faster, which he is not.

So I'm guessing we should just go ahead and forfeit this game due to SM's dominance? Give me a break.