DC.COM: Blog: NFL Suspends Williams One Game For Horse-Collar

TVMan

Reaction score
Nors;1841990 said:
Not sure what was more alarming, Roys blatant horsecollar or his crazy protest that he didn't do it.....

You are the original hater.

I protest the rule, not the fact that Roy is suspended because of said rule.

khiladi

Reaction score
AdamJT13;1842043 said:
This comes from the 2007 NFL Official Rule book --

"All players are prohibited from:

(snipped a, b and c)

( d) grabbing the inside collar of the back of the shoulder pads or jersey, or the inside collar of the side of the shoulder pads or jersey, and immediately pulling down the runner. This does not apply to a runner who is in the tackle box or to a quarterback who is in the pocket."

I don't have a link to the 2007 version, but the rule is the same in the 2006 version, which can be downloaded here -- http://blogmedia.thenewstribune.com/media/2006%20NFL%20RULEBOOK.pdf

I love the logic of the NFL rule in this situation. The horse collar's devastating ability to hurt somebody suddenly ceases when one enters the tackle box or the pocket...

Hoofbite

Reaction score
khiladi;1842301 said:
I love the logic of the NFL rule in this situation. The horse collar's devastating ability to hurt somebody suddenly ceases when one enters the tackle box or the pocket...

they do it so a blocked D-lineman has some sort of chance to make the play.

khiladi

Reaction score
Thehoofbite;1842311 said:
they do it so a blocked D-lineman has some sort of chance to make the play.

You mean the CBs FS, and SS have no right to make a play in situations where they are running from behind a player... a player in open space... I thought the logic is that the tackle is dangerous?

I guess it's just another example of a hypocritical rule, which BTW, seems to be only implemented on Roy Williams... if everybody else was called out for it and people were paying attention, than Roy wouldn't be the only one doing it...

aikemirv

Reaction score
Nobody has been hurt by Roy's horsecollars this year. He is doing it differently so that he does not fall on the back of their legs which is how the people got hurt.

NO injuries at all, he should not get suspended IMO.

khiladi

Reaction score
aikemirv;1842322 said:
Nobody has been hurt by Roy's horsecollars this year. He is doing it differently so thgat he does not fall on the back of their legs which is how the people got hurt.

NO injuries at all, he should not get suspended IMO.

He didn't fall on Terrell Owens leg either. TO got his leg caught in the grass when falling backwards... if Roy grabbed his shoulder pads and brought him down, TO still could have got his leg caught in the grass...

the rule is a joke...

Hoofbite

Reaction score
khiladi;1842321 said:
You mean the CBs FS, and SS have no right to make a play in situations where they are running from behind a player... I thought the logic is that the tackle is dangerous?

I guess it's just another example of a hypocritical rule, which BTW, seems to be only implemented on Roy Williams... if everybody else was called out for it and people were paying attention, than Roy wouldn't be the only one doing it...

I agree that the rule sucks. I was just telling you why I thought they did it.

I think there should be a distinction where its a penalty if the defender rolls up on the runners legs or not. I think that rolling up on someones legs should draw the fine and tackling players like Roy tackled McNabb shouldn't.

Of course, the rule then becomes far more subjective then it already is.

Derinyar

Reaction score
ITs only a penalty cause one player got injured. Its not especially likely to cause an injury.

I do wonder when they are going to throw in one rule that lessens offensive production in any way.

brvheart

Reaction score
Roy Williams is ********. We need to trade him ASAP. He can't cover anyone, and he is bad at tackling. But he sure knows how to horsecollar people.. WooHOO!!

trueblue1687

Reaction score
theebs;1841114 said:
he broke musa smitha's leg with it in 04 at baltimore.

you just cant have it, i am sorry. I hope roy learns from this.

I really like roy and hope he can shake this label.

Don't remember that one, but I'll play. There's two injuries....2. I've played 1a ball and remember seeing it hundreds of times...It's flavor of the week so to speak, Absolutely no more dangerous than ANY other tackle made. A facemack is MUCH more likely to cause serious injury than a "horsecollar". Like I said, I guess football has come down to pantywaste lawyers who want nothing more than to levy fines and market. It obviously isn't a game at all on the pro level. The rule sucks. I have no problem with Williams being suspended...it is the rule and he repeatedly broke it. I guess we can now equate a horsecollar tackle with a dirty drug test, huh? They have the same value now.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Faerluna;1841968 said:
Nope.

http://www.***BANNED-URL***/sharedcontent/dws/spe/2005/horse_collar_tackle/horsetest.swf

Deacon Jones Rule (1977) - The king of the head slap, Jones was out of the game for four years before the league banned his move.

This is the part were bbgun slinks off, never to return to this thread.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
ManicDepressiveMan;1842347 said:
I have a feeling we won't miss the worst "starter" on the defense.

I think people stopped caring about what you think when you started wishing injury and death on our own players and Owner.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
theebs;1841114 said:
he broke musa smitha's leg with it in 04 at baltimore.

you just cant have it, i am sorry. I hope roy learns from this.

I really like roy and hope he can shake this label.

Then I guess they should outlaw sacking the QB ..... it has ended hundreds more careers than Horse collar tackling.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
trueblue1687;1842353 said:
Don't remember that one, but I'll play. There's two injuries....2. I've played 1a ball and remember seeing it hundreds of times...It's flavor of the week so to speak, Absolutely no more dangerous than ANY other tackle made. A facemack is MUCH more likely to cause serious injury than a "horsecollar". Like I said, I guess football has come down to pantywaste lawyers who want nothing more than to levy fines and market. It obviously isn't a game at all on the pro level. The rule sucks. I have no problem with Williams being suspended...it is the rule and he repeatedly broke it. I guess we can now equate a horsecollar tackle with a dirty drug test, huh? They have the same value now.

wow all that from me saying I like roy but he has to abide by the rule.

what is all this panty waste lawyer talk? And why are you telling me?

JPM

Reaction score
brvheart;1842352 said:
Roy Williams is ********. We need to trade him ASAP. He can't cover anyone, and he is bad at tackling. But he sure knows how to horsecollar people.. WooHOO!!
Great first post !
:welcome:

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
The Musa Smith tackle was NOT a horse-collar.

r_williams1.jpg

Kangaroo

Reaction score
I have a question why is the argument about if the rule is a good rule or not even entering the conversation ? The NFL has a lot of stupid rules about what type of shoes they can wear how long the towel can be from the qb waist etc etc. So if the rule should even be in place is not the issue here. That is a different argument and really has no bearing on the issue.

The rule is in place stupid or not. It is still there even if we do not agree with the rule. As someone posted earlier listing guys not names Roy that have been fined for the Horse collar tackle; so do not give me Roy is the only one being picked on. Roy has continued to make this tackle knowing he could be suspended if he continue to make horse collar tackle.

If you hate the rule so much I say you guys need to start an email campaign to the NFL because they decide if a rule stays or goes.