DC.COM: Blog: NFL Suspends Williams One Game For Horse-Collar

scottsp

Reaction score
I don't wish to get involved in the good rule vs. bad rule debate. It doesn't matter at this point. The skirts were brought into football long before horsecollar legislation. Besides, we are spinning our wheels with this.

Interpretation of the rule? Doesn't matter. Intent on Roy's part? Doesn't matter. Should the infraction exist? Again, it really does not matter.

The player understands the rule, probably as well as anyone considering. That's what irks me the most here. Roy is well aware. What happens as a result of the next horsecollar?

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
kycowboyfan;1841941 said:
sorry if this has already been posted. I just got home and didn't want to read all 14 pages of the thread. The 15 yard personal foul face mask is a dangerous way to tackle a runner, has anybody been suspended for committing that foul 3 times??

Not that I am aware, but Mark Carrier was suspended a game for repeated helmet to helmet hits back in the late 90's.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
scottsp;1841948 said:
I don't wish to get involved in the good rule vs. bad rule debate. It doesn't matter at this point. The skirts were brought into football long before horsecollar legislation. Besides, we are spinning our wheels with this.

Interpretation of the rule? Doesn't matter. Intent on Roy's part? Doesn't matter. Should the infraction exist? Again, it really does not matter.

The player understands the rule, probably as well as anyone considering. That's what irks me the most here. Roy is well aware. What happens as a result of the next horsecollar?

I agree.

I think Leather helmets should be brought back, because that clearly shows toughness. and leather helmets and skirts will be a funny look, unless your from wisconsin, that might excite you.

Faerluna

I'm Complicated
Reaction score
bbgun;1841641 said:
Haven't you heard? The Golden Child is a victim of instinct. He just can't help himself! Yet somehow Deacon Jones was able to "unlearn" the outlawed head slap. Roy? Too stubborn to change, and now his team must pay the price. In the words of Dr. Phil, "How's that workin' for ya?"

Nope.

http://www.***BANNED-URL***/sharedcontent/dws/spe/2005/horse_collar_tackle/horsetest.swf

Deacon Jones Rule (1977) - The king of the head slap, Jones was out of the game for four years before the league banned his move.

scottsp

Reaction score
theebs;1841954 said:
I agree.

I think Leather helmets should be brought back, because that clearly shows toughness. and leather helmets and skirts will be a funny look, unless your from wisconsin, that might excite you.

Aye. Upon viewing the replay at the game yesterday, the word suspension was heard a few times. I never considered it until I saw the replay last night.

Ben_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;1841424 said:
AdButcher is the biggest guy on this forum and he played D-line in college.

LaTunaNostra is probably the smallest person on this forum and she never played football.

I would rather be horse collar tackled by Ad than chop blocked by LTN.

Interesting logic.

Da Hammer

The Natural
Reaction score
im not a roy supporter or a roy hater im one of the few in the neutral side and well i just think he really needs to stop with these stupid horse collar tackles. its not the greatest rule u will ever see but hey its a rule and he is hurting not just an opposing player but he is hurting his own team by not stopping. i dont think he's doin it with the intention of hurting someone but the fact of the matter is the NFL deemed it illegal so roy needs to stop whether he agrees or not!

jwitten82

Reaction score
I hate it when people call it the Roy Williams rule, I mean he didnt just make up this tackle, it has been around forever and this rule would have never been made if he didnt break TO's leg.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Not sure what was more alarming, Roys blatant horsecollar or his crazy protest that he didn't do it.....

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
Nors;1841990 said:
Not sure what was more alarming, Roys blatant horsecollar or his crazy protest that he didn't do it.....

or that they let you back

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
Da Hammer;1841979 said:
im not a roy supporter or a roy hater im one of the few in the neutral side and well i just think he really needs to stop with these stupid horse collar tackles. its not the greatest rule u will ever see but hey its a rule and he is hurting not just an opposing player but he is hurting his own team by not stopping. i dont think he's doin it with the intention of hurting someone but the fact of the matter is the NFL deemed it illegal so roy needs to stop whether he agrees or not!

Thats what pisses me off the most. As if giving up a 15 yard personal foul wasnt enough, putting us down another safety going into a game after a short practice week is inexcusable. The Cowboys should be taking donations from Roy Willy for his conduct detrimental to the team.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
kycowboyfan;1841941 said:
sorry if this has already been posted. I just got home and didn't want to read all 14 pages of the thread. The 15 yard personal foul face mask is a dangerous way to tackle a runner, has anybody been suspended for committing that foul 3 times??

JustSayNotoTO;1841950 said:
Not that I am aware, but Mark Carrier was suspended a game for repeated helmet to helmet hits back in the late 90's.

Carrier is the only one I can recall, too. But every year, there are players who get called for personal fouls, three, four, five, six, even seven times (Rodney Harrison in 1998), and they're not suspended.

scottsp;1841948 said:
What happens as a result of the next horsecollar?

Carrier was suspended four different times for helmet-to-helmet hits, and each one was a one-game suspension. But who knows, Goodell might bump it up to two or more next time for Roy.

And I'm guessing he'll have at least one more horse-collar (or something that some people say is a horse-collar) this season.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
jwitten82;1841989 said:
I hate it when people call it the Roy Williams rule, I mean he didnt just make up this tackle, it has been around forever and this rule would have never been made if he didnt break TO's leg.

He also broke Musa Smiths leg (badly) and blew out TWO of Calico's knee's. Its a dangerous tackle. And yes he did also break TO's leg too.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
JustSayNotoTO;1841993 said:
Thats what pisses me off the most. As if giving up a 15 yard personal foul wasnt enough, putting us down another safety going into a game after a short practice week is inexcusable. The Cowboys should be taking donations from Roy Willy for his conduct detrimental to the team.

Well I dont think he meant any harm, but I do worry about our special teams this week.

they might be in horrible shape.

Keith davis will have to play a ton of snaps on defense, with steve smith running around...yikes.

Watkins is an outstanding gunner getting down and covering punts and he is out.

and glenn is going to take someones roster spot this week.

should be interesting.

jwitten82

Reaction score
But this is football and u can hurt people just as bad with any other tackle.
Nors;1841996 said:
He also broke Musa Smiths leg (badly) and blew out TWO of Calico's knee's. Its a dangerous tackle. And yes he did also break TO's leg too.